overall
Style: English Strong Ale
Tadcaster, England

RATINGS: 1685   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Each year the label has a different picture.
Ingredients: Water, malted barley, yeast, hops, seaweed finings, carbon dioxide.

0.6
mohawksin (187) - Nebraska, USA - JUN 24, 2004
My Samuel Smith’s Winter Welcome Ale 2003/2004 was an experience. Upon first opening it smelled like a urinal. It had no head at all, even after shaking it up a bit. Nice amber color to it. The taste was all alcohol. I tried to taste something other than that but couldn’t. I feel bad to rate this so low. I will revisit if I can.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - JUN 23, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2005 Bottle
I love seasonal beers, and I love Samuel Smith’s brews, but I have to say I was a little disappointed with this one. This is more similar to a watered down Belgian than a spicy winter drink. A tad "winey" tasting in the finish, with a bit of nut and malt dispersed throughout. Good, but barely above average.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 23, 2004
I am not a fan of Samuel Smith, this beer was just OK. Beer looks like ostich urine. Very fizzy. Nice size head that dies off in my chalice. Smells of cherries, bourbon, and vanilla. Tastes really fizzy, very alcoholic (even though its not) and with hints of cinnamon, twigs (ha!) and marshmallows. Not bad. Certainly not all that great either. Grat

shrubber85 (11570) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JUN 4, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2006 Bottle (2006). Light malt and hops aroma. Dark amber color with moderate head. LIght malt and moderate hops flavor but not much else. Little body. The first time I tried this beer was back in 95 - was a much better beer back then - fuller and much better flavor. Not nearly as good as it used to be.

jfm (1724) - Holbæk, DENMARK - MAY 16, 2004
Amber color with a white head. Kind of watery taste with some malty notes. Slight sweet.

maeib (8749) - Wootton, Northampton, Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - MAY 3, 2004
Winter spice (nutmeg and nuts) aroma to this mid brown beer. The taste is warming and there are signs of currants and candy peel. A very nice winter warming beer which is like a strong brown ale

Sammy (12583) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 3, 2004
Beautiful amber brown color. Foamy. Smell of alcohol only drawback but also can be compared to a single malt scotch. Warms you up. Malt sweetness, some fruit (apple?) and mild spice. Hops and carbonation abundant that tingles tongue.

civforprez (229) - Galesburg, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2004
Light brown with an auburn tint. No head. Taste is goog, with hint of vanilla. Aroma is very welcome.

walleye (1102) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - APR 30, 2004
2002-2003 bottle amber with a off white head has caramel fruity taste not to bad of a beer

crzybob77 (530) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 12, 2004
I refreshing beer with a nice fruit hint. All the other Samuel Smiths I have had are better, but this one is still good. Somewhat bland.... could use a little extra flavor. Overall, I cant complain though.