overall
Brewed by San Miguel
Style: Pale Lager
Mandaluyong City, Metro Manila, Philippines

RATINGS: 768   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.03/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Also known as San Miguel Beer and San Miguel Draft.
Imported to the US as San Miguel Premium Lager until some time between 2006 & 2008.
San Miguel Pale Pilsen, a pilsner popularly called San Miguel Beer, is the Company’s flagship brand and the Philippines’ leading brew. It is one of the world’s largest selling beers. Made from imported barley malt, as well as German and American hops, it is exported to over 40 countries worldwide.

1.3
KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - MAR 19, 2005
I dreaded drinking this... but I was sort of pleasantly surprised. A slight sweetness on the initial taste makes this one tolerable.

pintbypint (3733) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - FEB 27, 2005
330ml brown bottle. Poured an extra pale yellow. Decent looking white head. Grassy hop aroma, sweet malts. Decent level of malt, trace hops.

JohnBarleycorn (537) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 23, 2005
Medium-gold. The aromas and flavours are closely aligned: very sugary-sweet, with a touch of malt and caramel, and very, very little bitterness. Despite the lack of balance, it’s surprisingly refreshing. Odd and intriguing, though not what every little lager should aspire to when it grows up.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JAN 22, 2005
Can. See, my plan for beating jet lag was to figure out when it was 10 pm or so Taiwan time on the plane and pass out, so that I’d be sleeping when I needed to be. Problem was, I was wide awake at this point, somewhere over the Pacific. So the really cool Filipina stewardess, who was sympathetic to my problem, agreed to mix Crown and 7 for me and keep bringing them until I passed out. Did I say I love Filipinas? I don’t remember how many it took, but before long I was snoozing while on the way to my promised land of Asian babes. Two points for Chad! So then I’m in the Cathay Pacific lounge in Hong Kong at 7:00 am local time, and the plan from there was to drink caffeine, plunge through the day, and get a good night’s rest before meeting my future boss for breakfast at 7:30 the next morning. But, they had this stuff for free in the lounge and I can’t say no to a beer I haven’t rated. And dude - the can I drank it out of had a freaking pull tab on it! Like, the ones that you stopped seeing 15 years ago. I stopped briefly to ponder the strange value that I was placing on obsolete can-opening methods while I regarded the white, foamy head and color that reminds me of when I just start a creatine cycle and don’t drink enough water...you know what I mean if you’ve been there. Yeah. The aroma wasn’t as skunky as I was I have come to expect from Asian lagers, but it had a sort of...barnyard smell. It’s funny that I’m using a word reserved almost exclusively for guezes on San freaking Miguel. Malts and wet cardboard dominated the taste. Not completely offensive but I ain’t going out of my way to get it again. Oh yeah - the can clearly said that it was made in HK and did not mention the Phils at all, it even had Mandarin characters on the side.
Earlier Rating: 9/2/2002 Total Score: 1.3
I actually didn't get a whole lot of skunk out of this. Ssn Miguel would be my beer of choice to get stranded on a desert island with...because it could keep me hydrated a lot longer than anything else.

Hbie (133) - Essex, ENGLAND - JAN 10, 2005
Bottle in Philippines. Golden with thin white head, this is the most popolar beer in the Philipppines. When cold not bad in hot weather. Nothing outstanding pretty standard Asian lager.

jgentgesdo (694) - Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA - JAN 7, 2005
Bottle. Nose is standard lager malt mixed with corn adjunct. Sweet flavor with an interesting lemony flavor in the end, trending towards wheat germ as it warms. Drinkable premium lager.

1.1
thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JAN 4, 2005
A little too much bubbly here and not enough flavor at all. I’ve had seltzer water with more flavor than this. It is quite easy to drink, and does have the slightest bitterness in afterthought. Boring.

Dorqui (2260) - Brescia, ITALY - JAN 4, 2005
Practically nonexistent foam. Limpid yellow color moved enough. Difficult to perceive scent or aroma. A lot fizzy and bitter. Nearly sufficient but unfortunately it is excessive watery and little long-lasting.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Clear yellow, frothy fading head. Faint stale corny aroma. Stale, slightly hoppy paper taste. Could be worse.

tiggmtl (4544) - East York, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 13, 2004
Mild, sweet, clean and inoffensive in both aroma and flavour. Clear, golden coloured with decent white head that recedes to lasting cover. Light body is somewhat watery but has nice engaging carbonation without being overly gassy. Bottle.