overall

RATINGS: 385   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Chicken Killer Barley Wine is the revolutionary beer that will someday define America's unique Barley Wine style. It is brewed with twice the ingredients of the Santa Fe Brewing Company's other beers, and only half the usual amount of liquid is extracted from these ingredients. This makes one strong beer. At over ten percent alcohol, Chicken Killer is actually as strong as wine, but this is not to say that it is difficult to drink. On the contrary; be careful with this one. The flavors of the beer are at first as overwhelming as the intense Santa Fe sun. But in the same way our sun gives us the unrivaled brilliant colors of Santa Fe, the potency of Chicken Killer gives us the remarkable spectrum of flavors that can be found in no other beer, in no other city. If you did not have the opportunity to try last year's vintage, come try this year's! Malts: 2-row pale, 30-37 l. Carastan, 135-165 l. Crystal Hops: Chinook, Hallertau, Crystal

Bill Becker (1773) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 24, 2017
From Apr 2007 This one pours from 22oz bottle a clear deep amber with a medium sized head of foam. A couple of minutes in to the session, it shrinks to just a few islands in the middle and it has some lacing. The smell has a big nose of caramel malt with some hop notes floating in the background. The taste on first sip is also big on caramel malt but it is not overly sweet. A few more sips in and I'm getting some dark fruit flavours, and some hop bittererness...but not much. I'm also getting some roasted malt, some grain and a bit of an alcohol burn when it goes down but it's not objectionable in my opinion. This is a good BWSA. Bottom line: I picked this one up on my last trip to Ft Collins and it's a good example of the style. I'd buy it again.

MountainJess (22) - Vallecitos, New Mexico, USA - AUG 3, 2017
UPDATED: AUG 3, 2017 I love it. I think. I don't remember. Anything. Numb. Tasty. Really strong. Sneaky.

hauxe (935) - Butzbach, Hesse, GERMANY - AUG 1, 2017
Pours deep amber from the bottle. Aroma is apple brandy, caramel, schnapps. Taste is sweet, lightly peppery, full of alcohol, apple vinegar, and the warm presence of alcohol. Body is medium, with average carbonation. Finished me off for the night.

maltdog (626) - New Mexico, USA - APR 29, 2017
Deep garnet with a stiff khaki head. Appealing spicy earthy/piney hop aroma with toffee and grapey undertones (Vienna malt?). Some waxy and ethanol scents. Big, clean, spicy noble hop flavor and restrained maltiness. Spruce and burnt fig at the back of the tongue. Toasted cornmeal and leather. Not the caramel bomb that most brewers think defines the style. Juicy mouthfeel, not too thick. Carbonation has just enough lift to make the ale smooth and dangerously drinkable. Hop reemerge in the aftertaste, plus some pleasing coffeelike tannins. I love that it doesn’t taste like damn Chinook hops.

AndreasP (319) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - DEC 16, 2016
Rather alcohol filled and woody taste and it doesn’t really seem to be in harmony.

thorongil2 (3424) - , Ontario, CANADA - OCT 28, 2016
(bottle) clear, fluorescent reddish amber colour with a small beige head; aroma of jam, stewed fruit; balanced flavour with a subdued, bit boozy flavour, long medium bitter finish; oily palate

rosenbergh (11793) - Tampere, FINLAND - OCT 11, 2016
Draught at the Santa Fe Brewing Co, Santa Fe, NM.
Slightly cloudy deep mahogany color with a small creamy tan head. Sweet dark fruits, sweet sugar and sweet caramel malt in the aroma. Sweet it is. Sweet dark fruits, sugar, mild hoppy bitterness and caramel malt in the flavor.

bigben873 (262) - Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2016
More of a hybrid between am American style and English style, not super hoppy but not super malty either.

MrBeerFanatic (1069) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - AUG 27, 2016
Dark amber color thick creamy head. Aromas slight grassy hop, caramel, slight ester. Flavors ester’s, light spicy wood, light alcohol mostly in the nose, spicy hop, caramel is mostly in the back of all the spicy wood/ester’s. Leaves a medium astringent bitter aftertaste. Medium sweet. Not the usual flavors in the normal barley wine and not so much in a good way. The barley wine I made was better than this.

hayduke (5662) - Eureka, California, USA - AUG 16, 2016
I brought the bottle to the Grand Tasting at the RBSG not having tasted it before. I usually do not inflict unknown beers on my fellow beer geeks but this one snuck into my luggage so it was new to me. Luckily it was not a drain pour. Copper to amber in color with and off-white head it seems slightly oxidized but not enough to spoil the beer. Nose of caramel malts with some citrus hops. Medium in body. Mouthfeel a bit hot. Flavor sweet with the hops hanging on into the finish. Not too bad.