overall
Brewed by Sapporo Breweries
Style: Schwarzbier
Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 59   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.09/5   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
Note: this beer is no longer brewed or sold in Japan. Made in the US and Canada only.

smcd (366) - USA - FEB 26, 2006
(12 oz Bottles) How did this beer get so cloyingly sweet at only 4.3%????? Thick, molasses-like flavors and aromas. Needs some hops to balance this out. Body is quick heavy. That said, it is, indeed rich, choclately, and smooth -- to the point of being overpoweringly so and it misses hops and a certain crispness. Drink too many and you’ll know what cloying is.

TheBeerLover (1027) - DC Metro Area, USA - JAN 24, 2006
When is a stout not a stout? When it is a schwarzbier of course. The inspiration for Sapporo Black Stout Draft didn’t come from Ireland, it came from Germany. "Black Beer" is popular in Japan, most if not all major Japanese breweries do this style. What is schwarzbier? Its a dark lager that has its roots in the eastern part of Germany, similar to Munich dunkles, but a little darker in color, with some roastiness as well. German brewers were brought over to Japan in the 1800’s to show the Japanese how to brew beer, and they brought their recipes with them. I lived in Japan for a year, and was drinking "black beer" 14 years ago, before I really understood what I was drinking. Being a stout drinker, Sapporo Black was a natural choice for me. But this beer has more in common with a Kostrizer, or even Sprecher Black Bavarian, than it ever will have with Guinness. This is a very good example of schwarzbier, and is a very smooth, drinkable, dark lager. Sapporo Black pours to a deep brown/black color with a nice white head, and a good bit of carbonation. The nose is quite malty. Good dark malt aromas, with a touch of roast, and balancing hop aromatics. The palate is firm, dark chocolate, coffee, and roasty flavors. This beer is a lager, so it is very smooth, round, and clean. This beer finishes malty up front, then leads into a quick, dry, bitter finish. This is an excellent "black" beer as the Japanese like to call it. It is a great tribute to a style that is under done, even in Germany. It has a cult following in Japan, and I was a member of that cult, and still am. Look for this beer in your area, its well worth seeking out. I would match this beer with smoked and grilled meats, or Mongolian BBQ.

hikito (3) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - APR 24, 2005 does not count
very nice for a japanese beer bette than many other imported beers. Good taste and nice color.

mephisto (1288) - TAIWAN - MAR 6, 2005
quite tasty for an asian beer. (damn, i am asian) nice flavor, and a very cool can.

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - OCT 13, 2004
A very tasty dark beer, I loved the flavor, and the aftertaste was nice too, not what I expected from a Japanese beer, but I loved it, even if it was canned, nice beer

Dimitri99 (63) - USA - OCT 2, 2004
Had with Chinese food at a real Chinese food. My friend’s girlfriend ordered in Chinese, so we got the freshest food in the place and had cooked traditionally. Anyway, I had this after I’d already had a few drinks, so my recollection might be kinda hazy. That said, I enjoyed it and thought it went really well with the Chinese food. Came in a really big can, though. Toward the end, it was getting fairly warm- it still wasn’t bad, but it was better when it was cooler in the beginning.

Maximus55 (40) - California, USA - AUG 3, 2004
Goes down smooth, fresh clean crisp taste, if you havent tried it try it now...have you gotten it yet? hehe

MrKevvie (29) - Texas, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Nice beer, good flavour, nice colouring, very smooth. Definately one I’d buy again

darkerdabetter (255) - Michigan, USA - MAY 9, 2004
Bought this for its intriguing darkness and cool can. I was impressed, good dark beer flavors -slight chocolate and caramel, and pretty smooth. I’ll have to try it again.

Mephistefales (47) - USA - FEB 13, 2004
UPDATED: AUG 24, 2009 As someone who seeks out new flavors instead of comparing everything to existing standard flavors, I tend to enjoy the family of Japanese Blacks. Like this beer, they tend to be a bit more refreshing than your standard stout. I really enjoy relaxing with this beer. I feel that the facts in the other reviews here are accurate, but I enjoy that this beer is a smoother, lighter black than its German counterparts.