overall
Style: Pale Lager
Tokyo, Japan

RATINGS: 1716   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.24/5   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Bottle or can: Filtered
Marketed as Sapporo Draft Beer in Japan, and as Premium Beer in North America.
Abv ranges from 4.7% to 5% abv depending on market.
Sapporo Premium Beer for the North American market is brewed by Sleeman in Guelph, which is owned by Sapporo.
For the European market, it is brewed under licence in Europe.

nmoskop (79) - Arizona, USA - MAR 2, 2005
Sometimes Im not sure whether the beer was good or if I was just craving a good beer. This one I thought was a decent brew (for a pale lager). Certainly better than the big three American versions. Goes well with Asian cuisine, as you would expect, and seemingly hits the spot. I’d have it again under the right circumstances.

1.4
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - FEB 28, 2005
Bottle. This is ticking one off of my Austin checklist, and it’s one more toward my 100 crappy Asian lager milestone! I’m trying to watch my calories right now and was wary of having a second beer tonight, but there aren’t any worries at this point as I probably won’t be finishing this! Pale-amber, virtually no head despite a rather aggressive pour. Skunk aroma, skunk lite flavor...I’m not gonna totally blast this and give it 1’s because being a crappy beer fan, I know what bad really is. Canned corn aftertaste that mercifully goes away quickly.

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 26, 2005
Can. Golden color with low carbonation under a quickly-diminishing frothly white head. Pale malt aroma with light saaz-type hops. Pale malt flavor with corn and mulddled grassy hops. Cool can.

ThomasE (5174) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 25, 2005
Clear golden colour with a small white head. Malty aroma with some fruity sweetness. Flavor starts malty and somewhat sour, then becomes dry and bitter in the finish.

JohnBarleycorn (537) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 22, 2005
Standard light-gold lager. Directly after the pour, there’s a nice, mellifluous aroma of hops, which gradually fades away as the beer sits around longer. The palate is very smooth; the taste okay but characterless. A good lager for a chitty-faced beer virgin.

pobenohne (504) - Northern Liberties, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Bottle. At Kissen Fahrenheit 259 with sushi dinner. Well made, crisp and dry lager. No head, but good carbonation. Refreshing hop bite.

antisnobJP (274) - St. Michael, Minnesota, USA - FEB 17, 2005
Bottle. Pale golden and crystal clear with minimal head. Aromas of rust and grainy malt. As it warms up, some faint pickle juice in the background. Tastes like a adjunct heavy American cheapie lager, only with more bitterness than most of those. Not that hard to drink, but certainly no reason to seek it out unless you can’t get Old Milwaukee.

JorisPPattyn (10072) - BELGIUM - FEB 14, 2005
I suppose I have had this beer. However, my bottle is called premium lager (or something like: サシポロビー&# and more to the point, expressly says 4.7 ABV. Clear gold beer with huge, fine & dense, just yellow-tinted white head. Unpasteurised, raw milk aroma, going over in grain & chaff. Rather bitterish, hoppy, herb taste; tad metallic, pale malts, and very slight sweetness, cornlike, without the bitterness going away. Warming up, the bitterness becomes more and more metallic and less agreable. Light, not watery, certain slickness. Not my beer. But "bad" is too negative a comment.

0.6
Cletus (6368) - Connecticut, USA - FEB 11, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2008 If I could give this beer a zero, I would. Remember those old bitter beer face commercials for Rheingold beer? Well...that pretty much sums this beer up, but not in good way. This is by far one of the crappiest beers I’ve ever had the misfortune of tasting.

Ray1975 (251) - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Very yellow with little fizzy carbonation. Smelled of sour malts and had little taste at all. Not happy at all.. I think I would rather drink budweiser.