overall
RATINGS: 743   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our original award-winning Saranac beer is brewed in the German Lager tradition using Noble hops. We balance the hop bitterness with caramel malt sweetness, creating what we like to call a “round” beer.

ClarkVV (6839) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 10, 2002
a true mediocre beer!!! and since i need to say something about it, it has too dry a taste for me. A little caramel flavor kind of makes it interesting. I wouldnt call this beer very bitter though. mainly just some malty/hoppy tones.

MartinT (10037) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
Uh…Malt…Hops…Beer!…Du

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2002
brewed with pure adirondack water - and that is the predominant taste here. the malt and hops keep coming and going - continuously overpowered by the water. some warmth at the back of the throat, but otherwise, nothing special at all.

MrDick (381) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 1, 2002
Warm color but lacking the tasted to do it color. Great for a warm afternoon when you don't want to reach for the king of beers. Or the start of a beer tasting evening.

pilsnerrogge (2984) - Finspång, SWEDEN - JUN 25, 2002
Lots of Cascade-hops inthis one! A bit thin-ish though......................

joet (2655) - Wilsonville, Oregon, USA - JUN 17, 2002
Dusty carmel nose, lightly hopped, not much going on. More malt and hops than your average macro. NEXT!!!

ludi (32) - Reston, Virginia, USA - JUN 15, 2002
Not as complex and distinctive as I like, but a solid, inexpensive amber lager.

ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JUN 11, 2002
I purchased a Saranac sampler yesterday (the trail mix sixer), this is my first grab. So I had a bottle of this before dinner. This brew pours a sparkling medium honey copper. The decent frothy off-white head is mostly diminishing with fair lacing. The ultra light nose is toasted malt, spruce, flowers, earth, and alcohol. The bland flavor has a nice flowery balance and a slight alcohol spicy warmth. Truthfully, mine tasted a little stale, so I don't know that I tried an optimum sample. The average finish had decent bitterness, but again was unexciting. The light to medium body has a lively creamy texture, and the finish feels alcoholic. Easily forgettable.

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUN 9, 2002
I am very impressed with this beer. Nice amber color. Nice smooth balanced flavor. A good offering from Matt Brewing.

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - JUN 3, 2002
wasn't really too excited to try this one. only moderately amber, weak aroma and nothing spectacular