overall
RATINGS: 743   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.84/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Our original award-winning Saranac beer is brewed in the German Lager tradition using Noble hops. We balance the hop bitterness with caramel malt sweetness, creating what we like to call a “round” beer.

Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - APR 26, 2012
Originally reviewed: 1/30/09. Got this in the mixed Saranac sixer. Pours a crystal clear slightly dark gold. Very small head present, disappears quickly, leaves little lacing. Smells really sweet. I smell honey, apples, some citrus. Great mouthfeel on this one. Very creamy and smooth. Not watery like some brews of this style are. Some slight hop bite to this. It’s faint, but it’s there. Malt is the main player, but not overly so. This is a really well-done beer in my mind. This would be my new session lager if I could find it in a 6-pack here. Recommend.

Stevedam (3) - Stuyvesant, New York, USA - JUN 2, 2012 does not count
Very nice lager. Smooth going down. Very easy to drink. Not too filling. I could drink this beer on a nice summer evening or in the dead of winter. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

plummdumb99 (34) - USA - JAN 17, 2002
decent beer, hops are a little overpowering, as with most all of their beer

raymow (1675) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2002
I thought it was pretty good. In fact, I just bought a case yesterday! One of my favorite Saranac’s.

Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - APR 1, 2005
A surprisingly first-rate beer, considering its humble origins at FX Matts. It is clean and a bit caramel-sweet, and is very lightly hopped. Though my tastes run to stronger, Belgian style beers, this is as good of an American lager as they get.

william146 (80) - Winterville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 18, 2010
"Perfect balance of caramel malt sweetness and hop bitterness. Look for a rich amber color and medium body." Purchased at Lowe’s Foods, Greenville, NC Great flavor; smooth.

Bov (12888) - Bienne, SWITZERLAND - JUN 18, 2000
..................................................

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUN 9, 2002
I am very impressed with this beer. Nice amber color. Nice smooth balanced flavor. A good offering from Matt Brewing.

GirlyBeer (190) - Old Orchard Beach, Maine, USA - APR 10, 2005
This is a good choice. It goes well with food. Nice amber color. Very good, especially for F.X. Matt!

williamherbert (1544) - Syracuse, New York, USA - AUG 3, 2009
The appearance is a clear light orange color. A decent, thick head that recedes quickly. Good color, good carbonation. A crisp lagery malt smell. Sweet biscuity malt with mild German-bitter and sweetish flowery hops (the label says Hallertauer and Cascade). Not at all wimpy. The taste gives a very nice sweet malt flavor. Not burnt, but toasted, followed by a sweet caramel/toffee flavor. Really good for a lager: top notch for style. The feel is not watery at all; in fact it’ gives the consistency of a slightly creamy ale. It’s a very good lager; perfect combo of thirst-quenching but not thin or watery.