overall
RATINGS: 132   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
On a cold winter’s night, black bears can be found hiding in the Adirondacks to keep warm, while you’re enjoying a beer by the fire. Saranac Black Diamond Bock is a rich malty beer, brewed with traditional German malts and hops then cold fermented and lagered for a smooth malty taste. This brew is appropriate for hibernating wherever you may be. Cheers!

rocbyter (2124) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - MAR 17, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2007 Light aroma of grainy yeast. Clear orange color with medium head that fades. Medium Yeast taste with a watery finish. Uneventful beer.

Prostman (1077) - Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2007
This is a decent bock but a little light for the style. I think the appeal is more for a general approach, and this would be a good first bock for someone new to craft beer.

MrBendo (1064) - Swedesboro, New Jersey, USA - MAR 16, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2007 Thanks to jjohn for the bottle. Clear copper with a medium head. Fair lacing. Aroma of roasted grains, caramel malt and brown sugar. Sweet flavor with a little bitterness in on the finish. Medium to light body. Thin texture. Too watery for a good bock.

Nihon (247) - Vernon, Connecticut, USA - MAR 13, 2007
Aroma not very pleasing, almost "dirty", pours ruby brown. Bitter going down, still for the price not too bad. Not very avid bock drinker though.

gwpom (297) - Akron, New York, USA - MAR 9, 2007
12 oz bottle. I’m not going to be as harsh as some with this, first because I don’t have much experience with the bock style, and second because I generally like Saranac brews. Granted, I’ve been tasting some fine brews lately and my thoughts on Saranac have evolved thusly, so I will agree this disappointed in what I expected from this beer. As others have said, it’s not black, or even close. This would make a great amber lager, but for what I expected from a Bock, it’s lacking. However, I won’t pour it. I won’t buy another, but I will finish the one I’ve got. I keep up high hopes for Saranac, the brand that got me back into beer.

Ron (3957) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAR 6, 2007
One bottle in trade from JB. Poured a translucent light brown with a large white head. Aroma of roasted malts. Sweet malt flavor with alittle hop bit in the finish. Alittle thin body. It’s ok.

1.1
jgb9348 (6250) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - MAR 4, 2007
Brown coloured body with a very light tan head. Aroma of funky malt, peanuts and rice - very bad. Light-bodied; Mild malty taste with some sweet flavours and thats about it. Aftertaste is just as bad - nothing pleasant at all. Overall, this is yet just another Saranac beer - substandard in quality and everything else. Do not buy this one, as with most other Sary beers - just stay away from them. I sampled this twelve ounce bottle purchased from Oliver’s Beverage in Albany, New York on 03-March-2007.

MarkBarnes (418) - Waterville, New York, USA - MAR 3, 2007
March 3, 2007; 12 oz. bottle. First experience with a Dunkler Bock, so I have no frame of reference to rate on style. Malty indeed . . . very smooth and drinkable, with no sign of the trademark harshness of Saranac’s hoppier brews. A bit thin, though. One of the better of the dozens of Saranacs I’ve tried (which, unfortunately, isn’t saying all that much). Even though only 17 ratings are in, I think a 32 percentile score is a bit low.

These underachieving Uticans brew several dozen beers and, sometimes, it seems like they’re indiscriminately throwing them against the wall, hoping something will "stick". Unfortunately (and with the exception of a couple of serviceable second-tier brews) , none really have, and I don’t know whether to blame the management or the brewmaster for it. Would love to see these guys hunker down, get serious, and concentrate on raising the bar to produce maybe a half-dozen excellent brews.

beastiefan2k (3981) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - FEB 28, 2007
Saranac Black Dimond Bockis NOT a rich, malty brew. It is NOT a nice reward for enduring your winter months. Pours dark copper, completely lucid, with no head. Aroma is not off putting but very Saran-ific. Some lagered fruitiness mixed with faint coffee and charred malt. Taste is pure Saranac, with great clean water flavor mixed in with some pesky maltiness. Leaves a faintly sweet coffee-ish aftetaste. A watery, barely flavored, week effort.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2007
12oz, no date I can find. Poureda brownish amber with a 3/4" head, off-white, quicly faded. Nose was faint at best. I never fail to say, never again, and I am back tasting a barely passible offering from saranac, Shame on me.