overall
RATINGS: 529   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.04/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Saranac Caramel Porter is a robust, flavorful porter reminiscent of a by-gone era. True to brewing tradition, we've used dark caramel malt as well as Fuggles & East Kent Goldings hops for a smooth, yet slightly bitter, roasted flavor. Look for hints of real caramel used in brewing this delicious brew. Enjoy.

crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - MAY 27, 2003
great malty and sweet aroma. A dark brown body with a medium brown head the lasted half way through the glass. A fake caramel taste with no other taste in it what so ever.

andy609 (143) - Auburndale, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 29, 2003
Smells like caramel, not beer. Very strong aroma. You'd think it was a brown ale based on the color. Taste mostly of caramel, trace of hops. Tastes more like a Worther's than a beer.

Odyn (268) - New York, USA - FEB 29, 2008
Not too bad, but reminds me of those cadburu caramel chocolate eggs that are everywhere every Easter. I think tht this is a beer a day type, where one per couple of days is enough.

smcolw (617) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - APR 11, 2009
Aroma: caramel (surprise, surprise) and vanilla but little else. Lots of sugars. Reminds me of a tray of candy apples. Brown (dark, dark amber) with a touch of red; decent beige head; no appearance of cloudiness. As expected, a very sweet beer. The caramel comes through strongest in the aftertaste although it is prevalent throughout the tasting. I find it a tad bit overwhelming. With effort, I can also detect some darker malts (chocolate and crystal). While the label notes some English hops (Fuggles & Kent Goldings), I had trouble picking them up until late in the aftertaste. I like the uniqueness of this beer but not the overpowering sweetness. Not really a porter in my mind, but it could be an excellent and special dessert beer. I’m torn on the scoring: as a Porter, this is very different and not very accurate. As a sweet beer, I could see this with a fine cheese course or a tart dessert and would highly recommend it as a special treat. So I rated the taste as a Porter and the "drinkability" as a dessert beer.

PapaSkeetSkeet (1011) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - JUN 16, 2009
Smells strongly of caramel. Fortunately, the taste is much more subtle. A bit of alcohol in flavor, not good for this low of an abv. Flavor is largely watery and uninspired. Aftertaste pulls a bit of earthy hops through and drops off into nothingness.

Rustyham (1836) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - APR 12, 2010
this beer smells a great game- like simple sugar burnt to the bottom of the pan- like flan. The flavor though, is very thing, like guinness-thin, with a slight roastiness. Palate is watery. Not porter like at all. Maybe a brown ale, if even that. Bottle from Knightly Spirits, Orlando.

puboflyons (3531) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 2, 2010
The pour is a relatively clear mahogany brown with a thick, two inch puffy tan head. Thea roma reminds me more of butterscotch toffee rather than caramel. It mnost definitely has a confectionary sweetness to it.The mouthfeel is on the thin side. The taste is way too sweet with an overabundance of caramel candy. I guess that was the point of the brew but it is not one I would have frequently.

wlajwl (7213) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - DEC 7, 2011
Strong sweet caramel and some nuttiness in aroma. The flavor is similar to the aroma with a strong sweetness. Not horrible, not really that great either.

JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - APR 9, 2002
This tastes like someone took a bad beer and melted a few caramels in it. How can they justify calling this porter? Very disappointing.

morty99 (371) - Maryland, USA - SEP 24, 2002
If this makes any sense at all I'll consider myself lucky. I love porters which typically have a roasty, caramelly flavor but this was just too much. Almost like drinking caramel syrup sundae topping, just too much for me.