overall

RATINGS: 271   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Mt. Marcy, Skylight, Algonquin...Majestic Adirondack High Peaks - They are the inspiration for our "High Peaks" series, a line of beers that are bigger, more complex and flavorful; beers that are meant to be sipped and savored. The second in our series, Saranac Imperial Stout, is brewed with eleven malts to balance a delicious chocolate and coffee roasted flavor with the spicy herbal character of the generous kettle and dry hops. At 50 IBU’s this beer captures the essence of the Adirondacks. Enjoy!

jberti (19) - Albany, New York, USA - NOV 17, 2007
Pours thick and dark. Immediate aroma of chocolate coffee. Taste of a rustic smokey flavor. Leaves behind pleasent taste on the palate of a sweet roast and hops. A very nice beer.

beastiefan2k (3981) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - NOV 17, 2007
Well, it was bound to happen Saranac actually made something good. The beer pours a thick black with a small tan head. Aroma is light chocolate and piney hops. Taste is again light on chocolate with light sweet roast and again a good amount of hops present. A thick mouthfeel, coats on the way down the throat. Leaves a lightly bitter chocolate candy aftertaste. Just a decent Imp Stout with above average hop additions, just as good as a lot of other hoppy Imp Stouts. It was bound to happen, law of averages.
12oz bottle, La Trappe small goblet glass.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 14, 2007
Black, tan head with decent lacing. Nose is big cocoa, slight milk, burnt caramel and toffee, green piney hops. Flavor is burnt malt, cocoa, slightly oxidized, alcohol, dark fruits, cream. Tingly cocoa dark fruit oxidized finish. A bit too sweet but that provides wonderful body. This one reminds me of the few british IS I’ve had.

frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - NOV 13, 2007
Opaque, nearly black body beneath a thin off-white head. Aroma of licorice with hints of chocolate and toffee. Some fruity notes, figs mostly and a little cherry. Some light toffee and roasted barley flavors come through also. Middle of the road for an Imperial Stout, but top of the line for a Saranac.

themadmumis (347) - Westminster, Maryland, USA - NOV 7, 2007
A decent try at an Imperial Stout, however, clearly lacks character of more refined kinds. Typical coffee, toffee, sweet and nutty notes and tones. A little syrupy but still drinkable. Worth the one 12 oz. bottle but invest in a sixer of something else.

3fourths (9345) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - NOV 7, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 10, 2013 I went into this one expecting the worst. It’s not just that I saw the first five ratings, but c’mon, this is Saranac/Matt Brewing we’re talking about, and we know they’re making an effort to grab some of the big beer attention, but that imperial IPA they made was just godawful. So I picked up a single and expected that I would regret it, but it turns out that this beer isn’t too bad. Has some decent legs, clinging to the side of the glass in a caramel brown foam, and the body is nearly perfectly inpenetrable, as far as I can tell. First whiff eases my anxiety, with notes of tar, smoked butterscotch, some char, some burnt plums, and some sticky caramel. Texture is moderately thick and decently frothy, and it rolls around on the tongue no different than, say, Yeti. It finishes a little pasty, slightly bitter and slightly astringent, with a lingering smoke and toffee flavor. Overall the flavor isn’t extremely deep or complex, but it’s far from offensive and I would even say it’s tasty (but not delicious, that word is reserved for those that really deserve it). I’d be interested to see how this would place blind... I nearly gave this a 3.4, but I think that’s from my bias against Saranac/Matt Brewing, so I’ll just go straight with what my taste buds are saying.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - NOV 5, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 6, 2007 Let us see... 12oz bottle poured veru black, Nice tan fluffy head. Nose is surprisingly hoppy. Mouth feel was middium,there was a burnt coffee after taste, and a touch of lingering caramel.. Not a bad brew here, from saranac. Over all this seemed a bit hot, maybe to hoppy of the alcohol is felt but not tasted. Aging this is a strong possiblity

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - OCT 30, 2007
GABF 2007: Poured opaque black with a tan head. The aroma was light with sweet roasted malt making it up. Roasty flavor with some esters and alcohol. Warming with a medium body.

ucusty (2691) - raleigh, North Carolina, USA - OCT 23, 2007
I will start this by saying maybe I got a bad bottle...Pours pitch black with tan fluffy head wonderful spotty lacing. The appearence is all this beer has going for it. No coffee flavor slight chocolate finish in this very bland attemp at a I.S. Malty flavor is just not balaced very well

sloth (2905) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - OCT 21, 2007
Pours a solid middlin sized tan head, retention is fair with a decent coating lace. A pitch black brew with some brown edging. Nose is faint roast and chocolate. Body is medium, carbonation is a bit much for an Impy. lightly oily. Light roasty flavors, some black notes, light berry notes a hint of bitter sweet chocolate and cocoa. Fairly dry finish thats lasting and not unobjectionable at all. Pretty solid for Matt.