overall
RATINGS: 48   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Barrel one? High gravity flower tinctures? You’ve got some sweet tools in your brewer’s utility belt Jim. As the Joker said of Batman, “Where does he get those wonderful toys!?” Sounds like a great direction fro this recipe. I found some yummy rose syrup made with lemon juice and rose pedals in Turin, Italy. I will send some up for you guys to play with in the lab. I think we could add some in the whirl and it will marry-up to your muti-flower tincture in a sexy way down steam. I like what you wrote about the power of the flowers Jim. In fact, I suggest we simply call this beer Savor Flowers. By interweaving the beer and event names we can drive home the point that craft beer and beautiful foods belong together. - Sam I’m psyched! I love your idea of a collaboration beer for Savor! Can I throw out an idea to the get the process started? We still have some of the original barrels from 1993/94 used for Samula Adams Triple Bock. I think they were the first oak barrels used for beer with this barrel aging thing was just beginning. I think it would be cool to use those same barrels for our collaboration. We should think of something different to do with them this time around. And maybe some other boundaries of brewing to mess with. Any thoughts? Just brew it! -Jim

dimenhetfield (2486) - , Florida, USA - JUN 26, 2011
Bottle shared by Ed Roberts, thanks a ton for this rare gem. Aroma has a lot of floral hints to it mixed with honey. The flavor is pretty sweet with hints of honey and sweet malt. One of the most different beers I’ve had in a long time.

fluffy (2472) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - JUL 22, 2015
wow, i have to say this one is very complex. one of the biggest flavor profiles ive ever had.

Dfonorow (2216) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 5, 2011
Thanks for the bottle Chuck! Pour is golden yellow with a slight haze. Small, finger-wide head. Initial aroma is of herbal remedy, lemons, and some slight sweetness. Flavor is weird at first - earth, spice, soap, and yeast. Flavor and texture get much better as it warms though - sweeter with hints of honey, roses, and spice. My advice is if have this, serve at 55 - 60 degrees, no colder.

oteyj (2139) - New Hampshire, USA - JUL 31, 2011
Thanks Jeff! This beer is pretty crazy- pours like fruity nectar with rose petals and mead in the nose, culminating with some sweet grassy herbals and light fruits. Very syrupy texture with low carbonation.

Luvystypotables (1960) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2014
An aroma of spice flowers and spice. Light orange colour wit no head. A taste of spice and a hint flowers. With a creamy feel, and a strong flowery taste with a hint of spice. A weird flowery finish.

jcos (1851) - Maryland, USA - JUN 12, 2011
Bottle returned successfully from SAVOR 2011(ie, I was drunk from SAVOR and had to carry the bottle home without a bag on the DC Metro). Pours a clear redish-copper, with a little bit of bubbles. Aroma is very high on being floral from the rose petal water, maybe a hint of sweetness. Taste is of light hop, a ton of the rose petals(which is an interesting taste for a beer), a little bit of spice maybe from the oak barrels. Medium body, slightly thick texture, average carbonation. A very interesting, one of a time beer I get to split with Ben4321. I didn’t realize this beer is 10% at all. We are both sitting here rating this, I wonder how similar or different the ratings are.

ChadPolenz (1816) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - JUL 26, 2011
When two titans of an industry team up the result is, ideally, something amazing. But what happens when the result is something that’s only okay? That’s how I feel about Savor Flowers - an experimental beer devised by Sam Calagione of Dogfish Head and Jim Koch of Samuel Adams. The hook to this beer is that it’s brewed with rosewater instead of regular water. The end result is a beer that is a sweet syrup bomb of honey and ginger with some floral characteristics. Originally and tasty to be sure, but nothing Earth-shattering.

I split a 750ml corked bottle with a friend (thanks, Brett!)

Appearance: Dark honey/orange color - mostly transparent with slight haziness. Forms a small, yellow, sudsy head which evaporates quickly and cleanly.

Smell: As soon as we popped the cork the ginger aroma began to fill the area. Like ginger snap Christmas cookies it’s very sweet, spicy and bready. Honey is also quite prominent in the nose as well as an earthy, flowery backbone like a mélange of every plant in a greenhouse.

Taste: I’ve often said I have a sweet tooth, so I often find myself enjoying beers with infused flavored palates of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, or fruit. But Savor Flowers is a different type of sweetness - massive ginger syrup and honey tea followed by vanilla flowers and spiced rum. Even at fridge temp it’s robust as hell - like stuffing your entire mouth with as many lollipops and suckers as you could fit.

Not that this is repulsive in and of itself - just something that takes getting used to. After having reviewed over 500 beers in the last three years I’ve honestly never encoutered a palate like this before. I do enjoy its uniqueness and appreciate the balancing it accomplishes of all-natural sweetness and spice. As it warms it leans more towards the sweet side, becoming richer and cloying and difficult to drink. By the time I finished my glass I really had to think about just how much I liked it.

Mouthfeel: Very fizzy at first, like freshly-poured soda. Eventually becomes quite tepid but still imparts a warmth despite being quite thin.

Drinkability: What keeps this beer from contending for any type of Hall of Fame status is the fact it’s a challenge to get through. The sweetness is so intense, coupled with rum-like spice that it’s a sipper, even at cooler temperatures. The 10% ABV is buried under the genuine palate, although there is some warmth and dryness on the finish and aftertaste. A beer where one modest serving is more than enough.

Overall, Savor Flowers is an interesting beer and definitely worth the experience for those looking for something new. Just don’t assume it’s going to blow your mind because of who made it.

mike5326 (1754) - virginia beach, Virginia, USA - SEP 19, 2014
Poured from a bottle. Murky golden color, small white head. Licorice aroma. Full body with a strong potpourri flavor and a velvet finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - NOV 13, 2011
Bottle brought back from Savor 2011. Orange-gold pour with small head. Luscious nose of honey and flowers (hibiscus and roses)...some spices. Flavor is similar, but with touch of spices and vanilla. Really tasty beer.

thome50 (1295) - Morro Bay via Orange County, California, USA - JUL 15, 2011
Bottle courtesy a trade on the other site. Pours a frothy orange amber color with white head. The aroma is a California cliff top over looking the Pacific with white sage growing wild all around you. This is what the summer smells like. The rose water is there but sage and sweet come through like nothing else. The beer doesn’t taste a great deal like sage, more rosemary and cinnamon. The sweetness is there but then you get the nice malt finish and just the perfect amount of carbonation. Yes, this is a beer unlike any other. Yes, it has a lot of weird shit in it. That said this is overall a very nice beer that I would love to have again next summer. Glad I was able to taste it and share it with some friends.