overall
Brewed by Les Brasseurs Savoyards
Style: Porter
Grand Epagny Nord, France

RATINGS: 12   MEAN: 2.22/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.39/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Formerly La Cordée Brune.

TomHendriksen (883) - NETHERLANDS - AUG 30, 2017
Fles gekocht in Frankrijk, geprobeerd met LiekevdV. Het is een donker bruin bier met weinig schuim. Het heeft een gebrande smaak met tonen van koffie en gebrande caramel. De smaak is gebrande koffie, chocolade en caramel. De nasmaak is zoet.

ruigo (3080) - PORTUGAL - AUG 1, 2017
75cl bottle. Almost clear dark brown with a medium tan head. Malty, light chocolate and caramel. A bit sour.

0.9
Flanfl (817) - Lyon, FRANCE - JAN 20, 2016
Deep brown body, medium not lasting head. Lively carbo, coca cola like. Aroma of caramel, burned candy sugar. Flavour is crap, brown sugar, molasse, completly thined. Horrible after taste, the bad brown sugar stick... One of the worst beer I ever had....

ogivlado (8167) - Zagreb, CROATIA - JAN 18, 2016
Bottled 330ml. -from Sherpa supermarket, Alpe d’Huez. Dark amber coloured, medium sized brownish head, whiff of caramel in the nose. Toasted malt, caramel, light nutty and fruity with touch of spices and slightly acidic caramel finish.

kanaclane (535) - - JUN 14, 2015
Nez: Malt rôti, réglisse
Bouche: Réglisse, vanille, fruits secs
Ça manque de corps malgré tout et dommage que la carbonatation soit aussi marquée

Alengrin (5779) - BELGIUM - MAY 22, 2015
My one but last tasting of this brand. Loose, coarse, thin, light beige head over a clear, deep brownish bronze beer. Aroma attacks the nose with a smell of, excusez le mot, manure, and this time I mean it the bad way. No matter how I try to find something more flattering, the word ’fertilized farmland’ (or, more offensively put, ’slurry pit’) pops up every time I have a sniff - even to the point that I get inclined to pour it down the drain right away; past this very unpleasant, let’s politely say ’organic’ smell, there admittedly are less offensive hints of cookie dough, cocoa, dried leaves, cold coffee (something I utterly detest, by the way), earth or even compost, moulded walnuts, cold tea bags used over and over again - but no happy fruity esters whatsoever, again suggesting a lager rather than an ale. The taste makes me laugh with a grin of bitter irony: this is much sweeter than expected, almost coke-like, with a sharply tingling, soda-like carbonation; if tasted blind, I’d reckon someone is playing a trick on me and serving me a very bad home-made Coca Cola imitation instead of beer. Mouthfeel is thin, not to say watery; after the initial coke-like sweetness, a weird, deep sourishness pops up, not unlike a Flemish red, but far less ’cultivated’ and probably due to unwanted infection - milk gone sour, let’s say. I keep waiting for dark malts, but they never really show up; I do not even get a light caramelly flavour, which would be the least one is entitled to expect from a dark ’ale’. Finish is bland and thin, and retains the infected lactic sourness; the sweetness fortunately has largely receded by then. Hop bitterness, or in fact bitterness whatsoever, also stays as good as absent, though with some goodwill, a very deep background bitterness is noticeable. This tastes like a mixture of coke with sour milk, and the putrid odour does not help to make this experience better. I have tasted five out of six beers in this brand now and I have to say, I am holding a grudge against it by now. I will taste the Blanche, the last one remaining, but I have no expectations of it anymore. What a horrible brand of ’beers’... The more of them I taste, the more I am convinced of, primo, these guys have no idea what they are doing, and secundo, all of them are simple lagers unsubtly flavoured with other things. Which makes these brewers liars as well, because their website claims they brew top-fermented beers. I deeply, sincerely and thoroughly hate BS. And why classify this thing as a porter? I honestly have no idea what this is in terms of style, I’d roughly guess a sourly infected ’Dunkel’ or something, but whatever this Frankenstein’s monster is, it is as much a porter as Coors Light is an IPA; at best, and I say this with great emphasis, this is a poor imitation of the Flanders sour / red brown style. Still, since the porters of the 19th century probably suffered from bacterial infections as well, I will, for one time, not complain about style classification here. If I’d accept this is a porter, which I do not, this is by far the worst one I ever tasted.

gegwilson (3806) - North Yorkshire, ENGLAND - MAR 17, 2015
Bottle from a supermarket in Samoens. Deep brown with an off white head. Malty aroma and flavour. Notes of green fruit, toffee, spice and a touch of aniseed. Light body and high carbonation.

DutchDrebus (6243) - Oirschot, NETHERLANDS - MAR 21, 2013
Bottle @ home thx to benzai. Opaque brown with no head. Smells wood, cork, sour. Tastes cork, sourish, milk, some chocolate, wine, wood. Medium to full body, soft carbo. Tastes barrel aged.

Benzai (16758) - Oirschot, THE NETHERLANDS, NETHERLANDS - MAR 21, 2013
Bottle thanks to my uncle bringing this from his holiday in France, shared with Joes and Dutchdrebus. Very dark brown to black color, small brown head disappearing instantly. Smell malts, cork, wood, sourness, only a hint of chocolate. Taste malts, lightly sour, lightly chocolate, a bit winey. If it’s intended like this it’s not bad at all imo. A brett porter I would say.

rand (1860) - SWITZERLAND - JUL 19, 2010
Bouteille de 33 c, achetée chez Bières & Co à Lons-le-Saunier (F). Bière brune à noire assez gazeuse mais sans mousse. Nez toasté de malt, réglisse, chocolat. Le goût est de malt roti, acidulité de torréfaction, ronde, saveur douce chocolatée, vanille, Kahlua. Finale terreuse sur la noix, le roti, avec touche vineuse.