overall
RATINGS: 57   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.64/5   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Schell’s Deer Brand was developed prior to Prohibition and has been Schell’s flagship beer ever since. Brewed from 70 percent barley malt, 30 percent corn, and our unique ’Schell’ yeast, Deer Brand is full flavored American Lager.

beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 7, 2002
Welcome to German beer as interpreted by America immigrants! OK, so it's not a great beer -- but it's the original Schell's beer, and it's a tradition.

Lumberjack99 (14) - Arizona, USA - NOV 24, 2002
This one gets my highest rating. Subtly creamy, malty flavor. Slightly stronger in the alcohol content than your usual American lager. If there is a regional brew that would succeed nationwide if marketed as a microbrew, this is it.

grizzzman (1) - British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 13, 2003 does not count
This is one beer that goes down smooth and kicks back with an "I want more" flavour. Too bad we can only get it when we head south!!!

HotKarl33 (10) - Wahkon, Minnesota, USA - JUN 21, 2003
I was so happy to see this beer in a small bar in Sioux Falls SD.Smooth and refreshing so much better than anything else I drank on that trip.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - JAN 28, 2003
I think this brew is very under rated it comes off with a nice golden color,slightly malty nose with some hoppiness to it.The flavor was light on the malt medium to higher on the hopps with a very clean finish well worth trying if you can and for being a small local brewery for this area they produce some damn good beer with none in there brews listed in the drain pour.

Obfuscate (593) - Minneapolis, - MAY 7, 2015
UPDATED: SEP 12, 2015 In all the years I’ve never tried the original deer brand until this sample pack. About as clear as it gets. When I rate a beer like this it’s about is easy drinking and clean without foul or rank flavors or after tastes. This one does the job well. I prefer it over Premium. For a pale lager it’s very good. Edit: had a few more of these for the style about as good as it gets.

benfergy (248) - Valley City, North Dakota, USA - MAR 18, 2011
The aroma is of malt, somewhat similar to a pilsner, and very strong. I like it. The beer has very little head. The taste is well balanced on all levels. Among USA lagers, this is quite good; not sure how available it is, but if I can get some more, it’s strictly better than many other beers of its style.

gripweed57 (2800) - Hamilton Square, New Jersey, USA - JUL 14, 2017
From old tasting notes. Deep honey gold color. Small bubbly white head. Fragrant malt nose. Fruity malt aroma with hints of cereal grain. Excessively carbonated. Brief malty finish.

JK (6252) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - OCT 6, 2012
Autumn Brew Review 2012. Deer Brand with Nelson Sauvin. Lager yeast, yellow color, but intensely hopped giving a good floral aroma and bitter flavor. Good palate, better than almost all other beers of this type.

heykevin (1281) - Decorah, Iowa, USA - OCT 14, 2002
At the top range for an american standard. Succeeds in its intentions. An unpretentious golden lager with a hallertau hop aroma, clean refreshing maltiness.