overall
RATINGS: 185   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.44/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A top-fermented, dark ale brewed in the true German style. Made with Pale 2-row, Munich, Caramel, Chocolate and Black barley malts, this is a full-bodied ale that offers great depth. The word ‘delicious’ doesn’t do this beer justice.
Now available as a Winter seasonal in November and December.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
kyzr (1450) - Montana, USA - NOV 10, 2002
A classic from schell brewing. Wonderful aroma and great looking brown color in the glass. Nice toasted malt with slight chocolate and carmel flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 9, 2002
very malty light bitterness nothing that cant be handled good finish worth trying again and again

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Brown color,roasty malty aroma, brown color, taste of chocolate and caremel, a very balanced Alt, very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - SEP 11, 2002
a very malty alt. medium to thick palate. dark brown body. Roasted chocolate abounds, as well as a large amount of sourness (this, I did not like). Some chalkiness ensues. Moderate hops. Nowhere near BlimpCity, but well done anyway.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
igneous1 (1535) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - SEP 7, 2002
very malty aroma with a nice roasty quality...flavor is impressively roasted. didnt detect as much bitterness as other raters.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Panzuriel (2125) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2002
A gooood dark beer. Nice chocolately malty flavor. Great aroma. Very complex and good.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łdż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - AUG 19, 2002
UPDATED: APR 8, 2004 I have been waiting a really long time to try this, then the place in Jackson got it in. I think it's my first altbier. Dark with really small bubbly head, lasting as a super thin rim. Thin-to-medium bodied. Dark choc malt in the nose, but awash with other malts as well. A bit sour through the middle. Good hop finish. I liked this...it seems complex. This first bottle I didn't even let get all the way cold, and I'm glad. Warming does the flavors justice. But, another one of these later I need to ask: is it supposed to have this lactic sourness?

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 27, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2006 UPDATEII (August 24, 2003): Id heard that Schells was discontinuing this brew so I ran out and got another sixer. Still the same great combination of tastes as Ive come to know & love. This is one of my top beers, for good reason--nice palate, great taste and it also looks nice in my trusty ale tumbler. I really hope they dont pull the plug on this! UPDATE: The second batch I tried is even better than the first! Lots of malt flavor with a follow-up of hops near the end. This is great beer! INITIAL RATING: Id seen this stuff in the cooler at our local beer outlet for a long time but never gave it a go...now Im kicking myself for waiting so long. This stuff is great. Id never tried an alt style beer before so this is my first taste. Because of that, its tough for me to compare it with anything else. It has a nice, malty character without being sweet and comes through with a nice hoppy finish. I really like it!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
Are there actually hops in this sucker? Its hard to tell because all you can taste are the malts. Thats OK -- this is an excellent dark, rich altbier.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
jennythenipper (74) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - JUN 25, 2002
This wasnt my favorite Schells offering for a long time. I had at least one rough bottle and then my trip to the brewery didnt really change my mind either. It reminded me a lot of my home made stout, before it was appropriately aged. With so much malt it is easy to get wierd flavors. I recently gave it another chance, or rather my husband brought home a six pack as part of showing off Minnesota beers to his relatives. I think Schells has finally gotten it right. There is no roughness, only smooth choclate malt flavor. Yum.