overall
RATINGS: 186   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.45/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A top-fermented, dark ale brewed in the true German style. Made with Pale 2-row, Munich, Caramel, Chocolate and Black barley malts, this is a full-bodied ale that offers great depth. The word ‘delicious’ doesn’t do this beer justice.
Now available as a Winter seasonal in November and December.

MAP (1133) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - NOV 28, 2002
Nice malt flavor, and a compliment of hoppy bitterness. The palate is nice, but seems a little thin after the bitterness.

kyzr (1546) - Montana, USA - NOV 10, 2002
A classic from schell brewing. Wonderful aroma and great looking brown color in the glass. Nice toasted malt with slight chocolate and carmel flavor.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 9, 2002
very malty light bitterness nothing that can’t be handled good finish worth trying again and again

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Brown color,roasty malty aroma, brown color, taste of chocolate and caremel, a very balanced Alt, very good.

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - SEP 11, 2002
a very malty alt. medium to thick palate. dark brown body. Roasted chocolate abounds, as well as a large amount of sourness (this, I did not like). Some chalkiness ensues. Moderate hops. Nowhere near BlimpCity, but well done anyway.

igneous1 (1535) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - SEP 7, 2002
very malty aroma with a nice roasty quality...flavor is impressively roasted. didnt detect as much bitterness as other raters.

Panzuriel (2256) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - AUG 27, 2002
A gooood dark beer. Nice chocolately malty flavor. Great aroma. Very complex and good.

Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - AUG 19, 2002
UPDATED: APR 8, 2004 I have been waiting a really long time to try this, then the place in Jackson got it in. I think it's my first altbier. Dark with really small bubbly head, lasting as a super thin rim. Thin-to-medium bodied. Dark choc malt in the nose, but awash with other malts as well. A bit sour through the middle. Good hop finish. I liked this...it seems complex. This first bottle I didn't even let get all the way cold, and I'm glad. Warming does the flavors justice. But, another one of these later I need to ask: is it supposed to have this lactic sourness?

NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 27, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2006 UPDATEII (August 24, 2003): I’d heard that Schell’s was discontinuing this brew so I ran out and got another sixer. Still the same great combination of tastes as I’ve come to know & love. This is one of my top beers, for good reason--nice palate, great taste and it also looks nice in my trusty ale tumbler. I really hope they don’t pull the plug on this! UPDATE: The second batch I tried is even better than the first! Lots of malt flavor with a follow-up of hops near the end. This is great beer! INITIAL RATING: I’d seen this stuff in the cooler at our local beer outlet for a long time but never gave it a go...now I’m kicking myself for waiting so long. This stuff is great. I’d never tried an ’alt’ style beer before so this is my first taste. Because of that, it’s tough for me to compare it with anything else. It has a nice, malty character without being sweet and comes through with a nice hoppy finish. I really like it!

beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
Are there actually hops in this sucker? It’s hard to tell because all you can taste are the malts. That’s OK -- this is an excellent dark, rich altbier.