overall
RATINGS: 56   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Schlafly Single Malt Scottish Ale is brewed with a single variety of barley, Optic, from the Cook family farm in Scotland (owned by our co-founder’s in-laws). The flavor of the Optic is balanced by British hops for bitterness and a UK yeast strain for a fresh, bready flavor. We age the beer in freshly-emptied Highland Scotch Whisky barrels from the Glen Garioch Distillery only 10 miles from the farm where the barley was grown.

Our Single Malt Scottish Ale is offered in celebration of the 21st anniversary of Schlafly Beer.

This 2012 vintage will age well in a cool, dark place for several years, bit it is ready to enjoy now.

Braudog's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Braudog (6791) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Bottle. Holy crap ... I gotta get some of this for my dad, the Scotch drinker. This carries a bountiful nose of Celtic whiskey that reminds me of home. It drinks with a full-on Scotch flavor, riding high on an otherwise light, orange-amber body. If you like Scotch and beer, you will love this combination. (#4931, 1/22/2013)

BuckeyeBoy (8202) - Boise, Idaho, USA - FEB 6, 2017
750ml bottle from backlog. Pours out dark brown topped with a tan head. Nose is smoke peat malt sweetness cured meat. Taste is more of the nice malts peat smoke scotch notes. I am not a fan of smoke or peat but they nailed it.

bu11zeye (13029) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - AUG 22, 2015
(750ml bottle) Pours a clear yellow body with small white head. Aroma of peat, scotch, grass, and wood. Flavor of peat/smoke, caramel, herbs, and brown sugar with a watery mouthfeel.

Prolitariat777 (102) - St george, Utah, USA - AUG 11, 2015
Dark brown, peaty smoke on nose, some dark malts. Roast and thick malty character. Some alcohol heat pretty good.

Cuff_Links (40) - - MAY 3, 2015
The smoke and peat were the best parts of the flavor, bold but not over the top. In general the linger was perhaps the best part. Would drink again, if I could find it. Limited beer.

Flyin_Fer (2) - , Missouri, USA - FEB 22, 2015 does not count
Had this one with friends a couple nights ago. Been aging in my beer fridge. This had the most barrel influence I’ve ever been able to discern in a beer. I am a Scotch fan (esp the peated variety) so to me it was very welcome. For a beer, it has an intense peat and Scotch nose. Alcohol not overpowering given the ABV, I suspect the aging has helped there. I also did not pick up strong hops influence so for me another win for aging. A great beer, especially if you like peated Scotches.

slowrunner77 (12471) - Reno, Nevada, USA - SEP 13, 2014
"Really looking forward to this one. Lighter is color than anticipated. Big whiff of smokey peat right off the bat. Definitely acccentuates the barrels, in a good way. Lots of peat in the flavor too. Bordering on overdone, but I don’t think it was. Never had their Wee Heavy or whatever the base was, so it’s hard to tell how much the barrels covered, but this was a damn good beer."

jkwood04 (5452) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 17, 2014
750ml bottle in a tulip. Pours hazy amber/copper with a lacy, off-white head. Aroma of smokiness/peatiness, a lot of caramel and toffee and hints of chocolate from the malts, light oak and vanilla, hints of bitterness, light grains and some dough. Flavor the same. A pretty cool beer, but a little too much of the smokiness for my personal preference.

thecp015 (2) - USA - FEB 14, 2014 does not count
Very hazy straw color, thin off-white head quickly disappears, save around the edge of the glass. Smells heavily of scotch - peat and smoke prevalent. Taste is very heavy smoke, a bit of peat, and strong alcohol finish. Overall, good brew, aged very well, but I’ll likely tire of it by the end of the 750ml bottle since I’m not sharing.

djd07 (15293) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 9, 2014
Bottle thanks to Russell. Pours a cloudy orange yellow with small white head. The aroma is strong peat and oak. Medium mouthfeel with strong peat and smoke. Good.

Drake (14044) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 12, 2013
750 mL bottle from Beer Run. Pours a hazy dark orange color with a large foamy tan head. Good head retention. Aroma of big whiskey notes, earth, peat, wood, leather, toasty and nutty malts. The taste is pretty intense whiskey and smoke, leather, earth, sweet caramel malts. Medium bodied, lingering spiciness from the smoke, slightly cloying malts, low carbonation. Interestng beer but I fear it may get tiresome quickly.