RATINGS: 369   WEIGHTED AVG: 1.43/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Since 2001, contract-brewed for Pabst Brewing (San Antonio), as Pabst no longer owns a brewery of its own.

shrubber85's rating

1.2
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
shrubber85 (11215) - Greenville, Indiana, USA - JUL 17, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 18, 2014 Typical cheap malt liquor. Corn malt aroma. Yellow with decent head. Sweet corn malt flavor and sharp alcohol finish that burns the throat after swallowing. Fusels not quite as apparent as in many mainstream malt liquors. My first experience with this lovely beer was in 1986. I had spent the entire summer in glorious Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri in Army Basic Training doing never-ending pushups and drinking nothing stronger than 2% milk and Army coffee. At the end of this great 10 weeks, my platoon was awarded the Honor Platoon for the company (which did nothing for us but got our Drill Sergeant honors as best Drill Sergeant). After weeks of yelling at us and making our lives miserable, suddenly the Drill Sergeants were our best friends. They bought us about 10 cases of various beers - one of which was a CASE of Schlitz Malt Likker (why dont they do that anymore?). Now there are several points which must be made to understand this story: 1 - I was under 21 and was only a part-time beer drinker at this time, 2 - I hadnt touched a drop of ethanol in about 3 months, 3 - I had lost about 40 pounds. So I got my can of SML (along with some Coors and something else - we each got 3 cans). Oh, did it taste glorious! And one beer was all it took to get me a hefty buzz (but of course, I had 2 more beers to drink). The next day was very fun. Only those who have been forced to stop drinking against their own will for a prolonged period can possibly understand the joy when you get your hands on a beer again (those who served in the military or those who have incarcerated - really not a great deal of difference overall). Had a similar experience 22 years later in Iraq - but at least there I could drink NA beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
wlajwl (6599) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - APR 20, 2017
Aroma and flavor is grainy/malts, apples and a sweet/somewhat alcoholic finish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
PilsnerMeister19 (1) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 1, 2017 does not count
If your drinking this beer because you like the way it smells or taste. Give me a break. I love the bull. Its not for the weak or people who like yuppie beer. Its for grown folks who can handle a good stiff beer. All yall cry babys go drink some coors lite

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
uvajed (184) - Ravenna, Ohio, USA - SEP 13, 2016
Only tried it because the grocery store I stopped at specifically to buy the regular/classic "1960s" Schlitz apparently no longer stocks that delicious old-man beer. Ugliest, most randomly jumbled can design Ive bought in a while. My decidedly-low expectations are exceeded, slightly; no overwhelming corn sweetness or off metallic flavor that is so typical of most malt liquors. The taste is actually very plain and more like a regular, bargain-price American macro lager. The sweetness predominates but mainly because there is little else going on. Not as good as Genny Cream Ale (which I admit I like), and priced more like PBR, so I doubt Ill pick up another 6er any time soon, but perfectly drinkable. Nothing to look at, nothing interesting in the aroma, yet nothing offensive. Basic 5.9% beer, drink it if you arent picky or want to get drunk.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
TBone (17062) - Pori, FINLAND - MAR 2, 2016
Can (from Miami). Pale yellow color, small white head. Aroma of light green apple and alcohol. Light-bodied, watery palate. Soft flavor has some corn and green apple. Watery, simple, sweetish.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 8/20
crossovert (12255) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2016
473ml can. Pours a light, clear gold with a foamy white head. Doesnt dissipate nearly as quickly as some. Aroma is corny and a touch sour. Hint of sweetness and alcohol nuttiness. Flavor is alcoholic and dry, some metal, sugar, corn. Not a favorite malt though it is smooth.

0.8
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
Worsenma (74) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - JUL 12, 2015
It is what it is. Really pretty foul. Only time I ever drank this was in college when a cheap buzz was the final objective. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
jhliesen (831) - West Melbourne, Florida, USA - JUN 28, 2015
Bottle-At least it was too bad. A fizzy white head sat on a pale yellow brew. The aroma was slightly skunky that was mostly of corn and malt. Some corn and dough (not malt) in taste. Pretty much a no nothing finish. I tend to like malt, so maybe that help to improve my rating. Produce place 1.99

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
ffbot (404) - Oakland, California, USA - APR 13, 2015
Poured this out into a shaker, poured the incorrect way because "fuck it". The little head quickly fades and leaves no lacing. Taste is sweet, oily, and crisp (I will admit). The aroma is mostly nonexistent, kind of oily too if thats possible. I was reminded of Magnum malt liquor with the experience overall, but Magnum was better. This being 6% you dont taste the alcohol, which is one thing over some of those other malts.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
40ozkid (2) - New York, USA - JAN 7, 2015 does not count
Sipping this from a 40 oz right now. Im a Malt Liquor guy so my ratings will be higher than most of these, as I assume most people on here are the craft beer type which I am not (besides pumpkin ales in the fall). This is one of the few malt liquors that have an actual regular "beer" taste. pretty average, swills nice, average ML strength, The Bull on the label is kick ass, thats what im rating appearance on as the bottle is brown I cant see the beer, If your looking to just have a couple beers and catch a little buzz there are worse beers out there,

0.8
   AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 3/20
Iphonephan (6719) - Jackson Hole/McLean, Virginia, USA - OCT 27, 2014
Sample at the Beer Heads MeetUp bottle share event in October 2014. Pours pale yellow with a white head. Nondescript aroma and flavor. Why do people buy this stuff>