overall
Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 2003   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

Yeahitsnolan (51) - Bakersfield, California, USA - AUG 14, 2006
I myself didnt care at all for this beer. Poured like a amber water, very little bubble action or head. Smelled like a wine that comes in a plastic bag. I took one drink and could barely get it down. It tasted like pure flat soda syrup. I will not taste or smell this beer again.

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - AUG 9, 2006
Pours amber, no head. Aroma is slightly citrus, with much maltiness. Flavor is licorice, caramel, an alcohol. Hides alcohol decently well. Pretty decent beer, only 10+% lager I’ve ever had.

ohnoitskristin (62) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - AUG 8, 2006
11.2 oz bottle. Poured a syrup- caramel color. Aroma wasn’t very apparent but spice was the only thing I could get out of it. The taste was really syrup like to me with little to no activity and it was slightly hop flavored with a lot of spice. I didn’t enjoy this one at all and I wouldn’t buy it again.

MHED (114) - lisle, USA - AUG 7, 2006
botteled 2004. drank Aug 2006. poured very effervesentley and champagne like. Clear and toffee colored. Aroma of toasted,dark brown sugar, and mild hop spice. Sweet and complex with subtle vanillla and plenty of date and fig notes. rounds off warm with soft alchohol warmth. Aged nicely in my cellar. Have seen several vintages. 2004 will age nicely. thx

muenster (345) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 6, 2006
Pours dark red/brown from a 2003 bottle. Aroma is a mix of caramel, strong malts, raisins, and alcohol. Flavor is very complex as well, lots of sweet malts, caramel, and dark fruit with the alcohol almost coming in to interrupt the tongue from detecting too much at once. I found it way too easy to drink this bottle.

px2grafx (14) - Virginia Beach, Virginia, USA - AUG 4, 2006
’04 vintage. very pretty deep red with bright red highlights and a ring of off-white head. unbelievable aroma of sweet malt, prunes, caramel and alcohol. creamy, tongue-tingling mouthfeel. no attempts to hide the alcohol here. extremely sweet raisins, dates, syrup, caramelized brown sugar, and did i mention alcohol? tons of flavor, but maybe too much alcohol and sugar right now. this needs to lay down longer.

bobaidan (530) - Southington, Connecticut, USA - AUG 4, 2006
2003 vintage. Pours medium brown with a small head. Aroma is all malt and alcohol. Flavor is fruity sweet, with a strong alcohol presence. Definately a sipping type of beer.

harmfuldrunk (288) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 3, 2006
2003. dried fruit heavy alcohol heavy malt molassas port winey toasty. raisan not a chugging beer at all, hard to handle but my palate is fucked so i can dig it

radagast83 (8059) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JUL 29, 2006
You FEEL the alcohol in this one. Sweetish, honey flavors. Alcohol is too overpowering for me, and I couldn’t finish.

acertain (249) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 28, 2006
Pours medium brown with a soapy white head. Aroma is of honey and rasins, with a hint of something I can’t describe but didn’t like. In the mouth, the alcohol is very pronounced, but not in a bad way. Taste is of fruitcake (but I like fruitcake).