overall
Brewed by Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg
Style: Doppelbock
Vorchdorf, Austria

RATINGS: 1970   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
The once strongest beer in the world is back ! Brewed only once a year on December 6. Samichlaus is aged for 10 months before bottling. This beer is perhaps the rarest in the world. Samichlaus may be aged for many years to come. Older vintages become more complex with a creamy warming finish. Serve with hardy robust dishes and desserts, particulary with chocolates, or as an after dinner drink by itself. Brewed under the exclusive licence of Feldschlösschen-Hürlimann-Holding, Switzerland.

zach8270 (4021) - Henrietta, New York, USA - FEB 12, 2006
(bottle - 11.2 oz: 2004 vintage) Clear copper color, not much head or carbonation. Aroma is very sweet. Lots of malts, raisins, caramel and apples. Overly sweet taste. Tons of malt and some apple flavor. Not much alcohol present. Candy sweet all around. I think too sweet.

Quevillon (3172) - Boisbriand, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 12, 2006
"Père Noël, Père Noël, emporte moi de la bière! J’en ai eu, j’en veux plus, fourlez tout dans bouche!" En tout cas, c’est fort ça, très réchaufant et un très bon goût chocolaté.

spinnyone22 (4) - Payson, Arizona, USA - FEB 12, 2006 does not count
It’s too bad I was given only one beer to sample. I will get this put into my store ASAP. Not only is it what the crirics have told me but just the history alone is worth the time for this beer.

hippie4beer (162) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - FEB 6, 2006
Bottled 2003. Pours a ruby amberish color with a lingering thin white head that skims over the top. Aroma is fruity with a malt backbound, there are notes of alcohol, figs, and is slightly bready. Flavor is very smooth and sweet. Notes of raisins, figs, maple syrup and alcohol. Mouthfeel is huge and very syrup like, very little carbonation with this one.

bombshelter (349) - San Francisco, California, USA - FEB 5, 2006
bottle from chevy chase. pours a clear amber, not a lot of carbonation. aroma is very boozy, lots of fruit, malt, and maybe some roast? very syrupy, flavor is sugar-sweet, raisins, figs, and overwhelming alcohol. doesn’t hide it that well at all.

Rune (13508) - Tromsø, NORWAY - FEB 5, 2006
Bottle from Vinmonopolet in Norway. Reddish-brown in colour. A strong lager that smells and tastes like a Barley Wine. Densely. Smooth fullness of body. Malty creaminess. Taste of yeast and warming alcohol in the finish. Alright as a winter warmer in the Arctic.

maddchad (1) - Milford, Michigan, USA - FEB 3, 2006 does not count
I was very impressed, not having had one for several years, I found this to be a lot lighter than I remembered, but in a very good way.

rsans (125) - Pont-Rouge, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 30, 2006
Pours a beautiful mahogany red color with a very short-lived head. Minimal carbonation. Sweet malty aromas mixed with alcohol waves and these change as the beer warms up. This beer has a certain sweet cherry flavour to it and then the alcohol hits and warms you. Rather sweet on the palate. Not my favourite and not my kind of “session beer”. However since I don’t drink wine any longer I will definitively have this beer again, possibly with dessert or as an after dinner drink like a Porto for example. Like someone else mentioned this beer is not to be drunk alone but should be share with a friend.

Nekronos (4175) - Xalapa, MEXICO - JAN 29, 2006
I did not had enough of this, but what I tasted was too veyr nice, and the alcoholic aroma is no prolem, I like it’s dark features of grains. I want more.

stouby (4779) - Holbæk, DENMARK - JAN 28, 2006
Bottle, at home, vintage 2003. Dark orange with no head and lacings. Aroma heavy malty (notes of fruit like dates, raisin and apricot). Flavor heavy sweet, long duration. Full body, syrupy, soft carbonated. Heavy in alcohol. You feel relaxed by drinking it!