overall
Brewed by Schneider Weisse G. Schneider & Sohn GmbH
Style: Eisbock
Kelheim, Germany

RATINGS: 2486   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.88/5   EST. CALORIES: 360   ABV: 12%
Aventinus, the Wheat Doppelbock of Bavaria, has always been known to be the most intense and complex wheat beer in the world. This was the case for the past sixty years, but not anymore...
Up until the 1940’s, Aventinus was shipped all over Bavaria in containers lacking temperature control. Consequently, the precious drink partially froze during transportation. Unaware that the brew was concentrated by the separation of water from the liquid. People were baffled by this unique version of Aventinus. By chance, the first Aventinus Eisbock was created.
Well aware of this story, Hans Peter Drexler, brewmaster of the Schneider brewery, decided to recreate this classic "mistake" in a modern controlled facility. Thus, the Aventinus Eisbock is reborn sixty years later ... Prost!

luttonm (6565) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Bottle. Hazy, deep brown with creamy head. Bright carbonation, not too heavy on the tongue. Caramel and anise on the nose. Flavor is a bit tart/sour with lots of bright malts. Sticky-sweet, very concentrated flavor. Wonderful, a staple.

otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Long before I jumped into the bottomless ocean of craft beers, I was already working on being well-immersed in the import beer scene. Well, as much as a novice beer geek can be. I can’t count the number of times in the papoose stages of my beer development that I would buy a beer blind, take it home, drink it, and try to understand it along with also enjoying it. Usually I enjoyed it no matter what, but the understanding part was a hit or miss. Thankfully, the internet, beer books, and fellow beer geeks are a plethora of information and insight which has helped me over the years create my own information and insight, validly of course. This brings me to the Schneider-Sohn Aventinus Weizen Eisbock, yet another journey into German wheat beers of which I had no inklings about when I first drank it. Oh, how the times have changed.
On the technical side, my Aventinus Weizen Eisbock is from 2007, batch number 05489. In the meantime, I must not keep myself from enjoying once more this amazingly rich, thick, and enticing beergasm. She poured a hazy dark brown with burnt amber and garnet glinting in the brilliant rays of sunshine outdoors. A small yet steady stream of bubbles rushes to the top, bursting forth amidst drifts of puffy foam. I close my eyes as I raise my glass to my nose and get lost in a festival of sweet dark cherries, brandy, dry raisins, prunes, dates, and soft floral notes. Accepting her invitation, I enjoy my first quaff and am struck immediately by soft and bubbly effervescence which helps balance the also immediate alcohol warmth, rich dark fruit, and burnt sugar notes. A sweet afterimage of licorice, prunes, and brandy keeps my palate warm and wanting more. Is that some milk chocolate I see, dancing with some fresh vanilla bean? Divine intervention is this, and as I savor my glass, a magical wave of warmth slowly envelopes my body. Rich, thick and decadent with a perfectly balanced palate of floral and sweet, spicy and warm, dark pitted f

ChainGangGuy (4909) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - NOV 19, 2008
Bottle Number: 2008 / 11734 -- $4.29 bottle from Sherlock’s in Marietta, Georgia. Appearance: Pours an opaque, medium brown body with a thin, short-lived, off-white head. Smell: Raisins, fresh figs, and sliced bananas swimming in melted caramel squares and topped with toasted wheat and spices. Slight sniff of booze. Taste: Toasted wheat malts and super rich maltiness represented by a slathering of homemade caramel sauce. Reduced raisin and fig fruitiness. Slight touches of banana-flavored taffy, bubble-gum, and earthy spices. Small hint of licorice. Very, very minor hop character with a faint, feeble bit of bitterness. Warming ethanol alcohol presence. Caramel-coated, liqueur-like finish. Mouthfeel: Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Chewy mouthfeel. Drinkability: Sip, savor, repeat. Recommend. Super sweet and grotesquely unbalanced in a rich dessert kinda way. The ABV is blended in rather well. Delightful!

That1Guy (2237) - Colorado, USA - NOV 19, 2008
Crushed with Jakebra. Fuckin a. Fruity nose. Almost tastes like a quad. Damn. Tickles the tongue. Fuckin, one of the sexiest I’ve had in a long time.

TET (3133) - Kaarina, FINLAND - NOV 18, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2012 A dark brown beer with a large and velvet-like beige head. Aroma is bootilicious, quite sweet and you can find bananas, dark fruits, yeast and some alcohol, hint of chocolate. Flavour is similar than aroma, but it is more simple and not so sweet anymore, raisins, syrup, some alcocol still present. Quite rich of carbonation with warming alcohol balanced the full-bodied taste. Aventinus Weizen Eisbock is quite similar than normal Aventinus, but it is more warmer, less wheat, richer, dark druity and much more “demanding" and amount of alcohol is "on the edge".

bermod (119) - Jyväskylä, FINLAND - NOV 16, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 25, 2009 Aroma of slightly roasted wheat, banana, hints of chocolate, dark sugar, alcohol and a lots of spices. Sweet flavor is syrupy, alcohol, wheat, banana and some chocolate also. Nice smooth and very warming palate.

austone (1062) - Turku; Pori, FINLAND - NOV 16, 2008
2008 bottle. Dark ruby, small and foamy pale head. Quite sahti-like, sweet syrupy aroma, banana, glove and herb liqueurish alcohol. Spicy, syrupy sweet flavor, alcohol, salty liquorice in the herbal finish. Medium to full bodied, strong, even spritzy carbonation. Tastes like a good, sophisticated sahti, but not as balanced the basic aventinus. The ABV really shows, at least when this young.

oh6gdx (26488) - Vasa, FINLAND - NOV 16, 2008
Bottled (from Alko, Vaasa). Deep murky reddish brown colour, mediumsized off-white fluffy head. Aroma is fruits, banana, alcohol, raisins and some mild spiced notes .Flavour is wheat, banana, alcohol, some fruits and also raisins. Mild yeastyness too. Really nice and wellbalanced.

KnutAlbert (6765) - Oslo, NORWAY - NOV 3, 2008
Bottle shared by Ang. Lots of fruitiness, warming alcohol, sweet raisins and molasses. A little smoke in there as well. Too late in the evening for me to consider this properly!

BrewmeisterEd (61) - USA - NOV 1, 2008
Relative to its older brother, (my highest rated brew, by the way), this is hot - you can taste an alcohol burn going down which, imho, rates a bit of a downgrade...nonetheless, still a very complicated nose and taste of fruits - esp. banana. I also like the fact that it still retained a lot of the yeast sediment.