overall
RATINGS: 407   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.24/5   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Four different malted barleys combine to create a distinctive, full-bodied beer with a roasted nuttiness, uniquely enhanced by a hint of hazelnuts. Smooth and creamy with the nose of the Willamette hop, this porter is a beer style unto itself.

ericmoss3799 (73) - Warwick, Rhode Island, USA - OCT 11, 2001
This beer is a former gold medal winner and I think that it has the taste to back it up. This was my first ever porter and I loved it.

bpreo (2836) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - NOV 8, 2010
I just realized that Sea Dog is also known as Shipyard. I wonder if that is related to the Shipyard I drank the night before? Doesn’t matter, this is all about the beer, and this beer is a Porter to remember!

mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - MAY 10, 2004
Great porter. It is not too hoppy like some people make this style. Rich and decidely sweet, this is the best I have had of this style. I really taste the hazlenuts, which add a candiefied bubble gum feel. Good color and scent is very close to the beer. Sometimes beer smells better then it tastes so its a high compliment. Get some

jasonp (1581) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - AUG 19, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 6, 2004 Great porter and I got it for $0.84 at Trader Joe’s! Pours a dark brown with a light brown head. The aroma and taste is godly- a beautiful mixture of hazlenut, coffee, mocha, roasted malt and some smoke with a very slight touch of maple syrup. I can't stop sniffing this brew. Has a perfect level of sweetness. Pretty complex. Mouthfeel is full, round and creamy. Leaves a nice slightly burnt aftertaste. Good head retention. Highly recommended! This is my favorite porter to date.

Icommonsewer (125) - TUCSON, Arizona, USA - AUG 28, 2007
this is absolutely marvelous! I’m rating this against other porters I’ve tried and the wonderful toffee aroma and smooth as can be drinkability impressed the hell outta me!

yesyouam (1016) - Fairport, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2008 Sea Dog Riverdriver Hazelnut Porter is a dark brown to black ale with a creamy, blotchy, mossy beige head. It leaves great lacing. The aroma is of chocolate, hazelnut, vanilla, biscuits and crackers. It is roasty and slightly sweet. The hops smell a little medicinal. It is medium-bodied and pretty smooth. It’s a little chewy and a little slick. It has a full dark roasty flavor. It starts with hazelnut and maybe vanilla, then it turns a bit salty and then bitter, like juniper. The flavor elements are all pretty independent. This is much better than the first time I rated it. That last bottle must’ve been skunked! [First rating: 7 Aug /2007] Riverdriver Hazelnut Porter is a deep solid brown ale with a hue that’s leaning toward aubergine. The head is tan in color, splotchy and lively. The retention is great. The aroma is very hard to miss: hazelnut and coffee with maybe something minty in there. It has a medium-light body with a dry, slightly numbing, finish. The flavor is not focused like the aroma. The coffee aroma doesn’t translate to a roasty flavor here. Diacetyl is present. The flavor is a little... barfy. There is a chemical off-flavor here that I can’t place, but can smell after I’ve tasted it. Is it skunked? A bad bottle? I’ve had this before and it was good. [Aroma: 7; Appearance: 4; Flavor: 4; Palate: 3; Overall: 9]

dlovell2 (2130) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - SEP 14, 2012
Dark brown with tan head. Roasted malt, coffee aromas with nut and vanilla. Roasted malt flavor with some coffee notes. Sweet vanilla and nut flavors in the finish.

coyforce (684) - California, USA - OCT 16, 2010
This is great. First impression is a beautiful dark pour with a nice light brown head. Aroma is amazing! Hazelnut and coffee. Taste is the same.

davidm (2080) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - DEC 31, 2010
Tap at the brewery. Great beer. Aromas of nuts, chocolate, and caramel. Taste is sweet, with long length. Palate is velvety, with a medium body. Dark brown, with a frothy head.

boto (2210) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - JUL 1, 2000
Hazelnut flavor very subdued. Very reminicent of Guinness!