Shepherd Neame Original Porter (Bottle)

overall
Formerly brewed at Shepherd Neame
Style: Porter
Faversham, England

RATINGS: 66   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Well defined liquorice and roasted malt flavours are balanced with Target and Goldings hops.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 21, 2002
I bought this on a beer run to a local store that has this disorganized shelf with a bunch of random brews where you never really know what youíll find. I had been a bit worried for a while that some of them may have been sitting for too long, but I havenít had a bad experience yet. Very cool shaped bottle, it makes me think that it would either hold whiskey or be a magicianís prop. Beautifully dark, tan head that lasts a while. Slightly spicy nose, roasted nut and coffee, I didnít really get the licoriche thatís mentioned in the commercial description. Tasted more like a stout than a porter to me. Slightly weak in the middle of the taste but the roasted coffee distinctively comes back toward the finish. By the end of the glass I was wishing I had drank slower! UPDATE (A few minutes later): Oh, I get it!! It reminds me a whiskey bottle because the label and the fact that the bottle is clear are somewhat reminiscient of Jack Daniels.

mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUN 11, 2002
Big vinuous, malty aroma. Nice slightly creamy consistency. Some chocolate in both the aroma and at the start of the flavour profile. Finishes a bit too roasted, slightly burnt. Nevertheless, Pretty good.

Sickboy282 (1114) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 10, 2002
A very sweet, almost sour porter which loses most of it;s points right there. It may be traditional, but it canít keep up with the porter of the new age.

JPDIPSO (6216) - Wauwatosa, USA - JUN 4, 2002
Chestnut color with a moderate light tan head. Flavors of a fino sherry with oak and licorice root. Quite dry. A decent porter, just does not do much for me.

austinpowers (2828) - New York, New York, USA - MAY 22, 2002
Kind of a middle-of-the-pack porter for me. Good, but I could imagine a better one. Clear bottle, which freaked me out a bit.

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - APR 4, 2002
dark walnut red brown, clear. a head like an ohio snowfall: pretty soon it barely covers the surface. this is quite a fragrant draught, coffee and cocoa, plus an old wood furniture kinda smell. a rich aroma that causes involuntary guzzling when youíre still trying to give it a good whiff. flatish palate, moderately sweet, modest hop. not as robust (heavy) as iíd make it, (so few are) but plenty tasty.

thealcoholic (104) - Hilbert, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 16, 2002
this is a good beer that has been around for ages. i had this while i was celebrating new years with some friends in france. it was consumed at a local tavern and i must say i wish i could get a hold of it here it germany.

I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2005 My favorite porter! Every bottle Iíve had has tan floaty things in the bottom of the bottle. There is magic in this bottle, honest!

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 11, 2002
This is my favorite porter. The roasted malts balance marvelously with the medium hoppiness (British hops, naturally) to go down ever so smoothly. Creamy head.

jcalbi (380) - Medford, New Jersey, USA - FEB 6, 2002
Perhaps a hair too dry on the palate for my taste but otherwise quite nice.