Shepherd Neame Original Porter (Bottle)

overall
Formerly brewed at Shepherd Neame
Style: Porter
Faversham, England

RATINGS: 67   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Well defined liquorice and roasted malt flavours are balanced with Target and Goldings hops.

rauchbier (3933) - Isle Of Beer, Lincolnshire, ENGLAND - AUG 11, 2002
Bottled. Black with flashes of red, beige head with good condition. Aromas of roast barley and licorice. More licorice in the mouth with toast and coffee notes. Finish starts sweet but becomes bitter then slightly woody/sour at the end.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 21, 2002
I bought this on a beer run to a local store that has this disorganized shelf with a bunch of random brews where you never really know what you'll find. I had been a bit worried for a while that some of them may have been sitting for too long, but I haven't had a bad experience yet. Very cool shaped bottle, it makes me think that it would either hold whiskey or be a magician's prop. Beautifully dark, tan head that lasts a while. Slightly spicy nose, roasted nut and coffee, I didn't really get the licoriche that's mentioned in the commercial description. Tasted more like a stout than a porter to me. Slightly weak in the middle of the taste but the roasted coffee distinctively comes back toward the finish. By the end of the glass I was wishing I had drank slower! UPDATE (A few minutes later): Oh, I get it!! It reminds me a whiskey bottle because the label and the fact that the bottle is clear are somewhat reminiscient of Jack Daniels.

mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUN 11, 2002
Big vinuous, malty aroma. Nice slightly creamy consistency. Some chocolate in both the aroma and at the start of the flavour profile. Finishes a bit too roasted, slightly burnt. Nevertheless, Pretty good.

Sickboy282 (1116) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 10, 2002
A very sweet, almost sour porter which loses most of it;s points right there. It may be traditional, but it can't keep up with the porter of the new age.

JPDIPSO (6286) - Wauwatosa, USA - JUN 4, 2002
Chestnut color with a moderate light tan head. Flavors of a fino sherry with oak and licorice root. Quite dry. A decent porter, just does not do much for me.

austinpowers (2831) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 22, 2002
Kind of a middle-of-the-pack porter for me. Good, but I could imagine a better one. Clear bottle, which freaked me out a bit.

krisbierjaeger (844) - dolores, Colorado, USA - APR 4, 2002
dark walnut red brown, clear. a head like an ohio snowfall: pretty soon it barely covers the surface. this is quite a fragrant draught, coffee and cocoa, plus an old wood furniture kinda smell. a rich aroma that causes involuntary guzzling when you're still trying to give it a good whiff. flatish palate, moderately sweet, modest hop. not as robust (heavy) as i'd make it, (so few are) but plenty tasty.

thealcoholic (104) - Hilbert, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 16, 2002
this is a good beer that has been around for ages. i had this while i was celebrating new years with some friends in france. it was consumed at a local tavern and i must say i wish i could get a hold of it here it germany.

I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2005 My favorite porter! Every bottle I’ve had has tan floaty things in the bottom of the bottle. There is magic in this bottle, honest!

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 11, 2002
This is my favorite porter. The roasted malts balance marvelously with the medium hoppiness (British hops, naturally) to go down ever so smoothly. Creamy head.