Shepherd Neame Original Porter (Bottle)

overall
Formerly brewed at Shepherd Neame
Style: Porter
Faversham, England

RATINGS: 65   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.32/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Well defined liquorice and roasted malt flavours are balanced with Target and Goldings hops.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
argo0 (13581) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 11, 2002
This is my favorite porter. The roasted malts balance marvelously with the medium hoppiness (British hops, naturally) to go down ever so smoothly. Creamy head.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - DEC 22, 2000
Give me a porter and I can whip my weight in Wild Cats, this is a rich, robust and beautifully grained and hopped beer. What a treat to see this setting in your glass, then BAM! the taste sensation is almost religious in its pleasure.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 20, 2005 My favorite porter! Every bottle Ive had has tan floaty things in the bottom of the bottle. There is magic in this bottle, honest!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
rodenbach99 (4374) - Longueuil, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 17, 2010
Bouteille. Un bon porter, belle couleur noire, nez de caramel et de torrfaction, jaime ce porter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - MAY 23, 2003
I agree with Argo, I loved this beer. Like drinking the industrial revolution in a bottle. wierd vanilla nose, light black with lots of red hues. carmel, chocolate, slightly bitter. nice!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
birrabona (221) - ITALY - MAR 21, 2011
Im not an expert on porter, but this is a great product. Carbonitrogen on tap, black as night. Foam is not smooth, creamy texture. Soft touch on the lips, with soft hints of coffee, chocolate, Toffy. Medium body, sliding over the classic stout. A bit of sparkling mineral water. Non sono un esperto di porter, ma questo un gran prodotto. Alla spina in carboazoto, nera come la notte. Schiuma non vellutata, cremosa. Soffice tocco sulle labbra, con morbido sentore di caff, cioccolato, toffy. Corpo medio, pi scorrevole delle classiche stout. Un po di frizzante, minerale.

PhillyBeer2112 (2771) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JUL 25, 2001
Outstanding porter. Rich, creamy and roasty. Excellent herbal/grassy hop complements the rich malts. Smooth. I get a little worried about this in the clear glass bottles, but Ive been lucky so far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
thealcoholic (104) - Hilbert, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 16, 2002
this is a good beer that has been around for ages. i had this while i was celebrating new years with some friends in france. it was consumed at a local tavern and i must say i wish i could get a hold of it here it germany.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mutant (854) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - JUN 11, 2002
Big vinuous, malty aroma. Nice slightly creamy consistency. Some chocolate in both the aroma and at the start of the flavour profile. Finishes a bit too roasted, slightly burnt. Nevertheless, Pretty good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - JUL 21, 2002
I bought this on a beer run to a local store that has this disorganized shelf with a bunch of random brews where you never really know what youll find. I had been a bit worried for a while that some of them may have been sitting for too long, but I havent had a bad experience yet. Very cool shaped bottle, it makes me think that it would either hold whiskey or be a magicians prop. Beautifully dark, tan head that lasts a while. Slightly spicy nose, roasted nut and coffee, I didnt really get the licoriche thats mentioned in the commercial description. Tasted more like a stout than a porter to me. Slightly weak in the middle of the taste but the roasted coffee distinctively comes back toward the finish. By the end of the glass I was wishing I had drank slower! UPDATE (A few minutes later): Oh, I get it!! It reminds me a whiskey bottle because the label and the fact that the bottle is clear are somewhat reminiscient of Jack Daniels.