overall
Style: Bitter
Faversham, England
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 202   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Cask: Regular. ABV of cask version reduced from 4.5% in 2009.
"Premium Kentish Ale".
A Best Bitter. Originally produced in 1990 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Battle Of Britain. It is Shepherd Neames best selling cask ale, supported by quirky Second World War-themed advertising.
"Lingering malt and hop flavour, with a well-balanced, lasting aftertaste."

BigBeerHead (42) - Reading, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - FEB 27, 2009
ive always appreciated spitefire and this fine ale has once again delivered a maybe slightly wooden start fades into a beautiful long and lingering ale taste which delights the palate.

BeerLimey (2154) - California, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Cask: Warming, malty, fruity ale. Moderate alcohol strength evident. Nice tropical fruitiness and slight bite in the aftertaste. Sent me back to the days of a group of students running around pretending to be spitfires after a session on this (I didn’t always take my beer seriously).

ferox (84) - Newcastle, ENGLAND - JAN 27, 2003
Tried it on cask. Nice bitter palate, not too tart though. Creamy head. A good brew

dtimko (3) - USA - MAY 8, 2003 does not count
I had this while in Cambridge and was very impressed. A good example of an English Ale.

FatPhil (16102) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - JUN 9, 2007
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2008 Draught (The Bun Shop, Cambridge) I was very familiar with this beer before this particular rating, and was gobsmacked by how fantastic this particular pint was. Light fruity aroma, woody - oaky, also sweet maltiness noticable. Flavour to match, with plenty of well-balanced bitterness. Welcoming creaminess in the mouth too. Almost unbeatable - bitter at its best.

Sigmund (7534) - Tau, NORWAY - MAR 11, 2005
I see the cask version is now separated from the bottled one. It’s been a while since I had the cask version (in England, of course), I drink the pasteurized bottled/canned version quite frequently here in Norway. I remember the cask version to have an even more pronounced nutty flavour, also richer and fuller in any aspect - and of course less carbonated!

CourageBest (51) - Katy, Texas, USA - FEB 13, 2006
Usually drink this in the Duke of Wellington near Belgravia or the Prince of Wales in Victoria. Nice, nice beer on tap, very smooth and drinkable. Top o’ the Sheperd’s Neame line methinks.

arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 30, 2006
Half pint, King’s Arms, Southwark, London. I have a feeling my rating for this beer is inflated because of the ambiance of the place, but I mulled it over quite a bit, and I wasn’t willing to lower it. I enjoyed it too much (and enjoyed rating it even more). Almost clear deep gold amber with a yellow-beige head that clings to the side in a dense sheet. Then, the racing: it’s static. This is the first and only beer so far that I’ve seen this in. You tip the glass, you tip it back, and instead of seeing the bubbles race to the top, they stay put as if they were lacing above the surface. Amazing. I don’t know if that’s good, but I’m awarding it for sheer novelty. Smell: medicinal herbal spiciness with an undercurrent of bread and sweet butter, which morphs a bit into warm apricot. Fruity and flowery in the mouth, a blossom of warm cherry and apricot with just barely a hint of cane sugar. Right before the swallow, there’s sometimes a burst of dark flavor, like the bastard child of licorice and tobacco. On the swallow, acid emerges in the mouth at a low level, but enough to cause some salivation and smacking of the lips. Taking a breath during the finish seems to catalyze it from latent to instantly salty and dry, with earthy and acidic (but not fruity at all) hops bitter, especially on the sides of the tongue. It’s difficult to know how to rate a beer this mild and delicate. I’ve seen posts about this from the British Ratebeerians, and now I understand. I’m totally biased for ambitious, big, over-the-top beers. If this were more defined or amped up in one area, though, it would destroy or mask the rest of what’s going on. Although I’m a sucker for strong flavors, I was impressed by this complexity and interplay, despite any punch in it.

oh6gdx (26488) - Vasa, FINLAND - AUG 23, 2007
Cask@Freemasons Arms. Dark amber colour, mediumsized beige head. Aroma is really sweet fruity hops along with some wooden hints and nextar. Flavour is the same along with big wooden and earthy notes.

mazfln (116) - Florianópolis, BRAZIL - SEP 15, 2010
I really loved the one I had at Westminster Arms last august (2010). Nice malt character and enough hops to make it a very pleasing bitter.