overall
RATINGS: 782   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.99/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
A Bohemian Black Lager is a rare and delicious style of beer, referred to in Germany as "Schwarzbier". Shiner Bohemian Black Lager remains true to this old-world style by using imported Czech Saaz and Styrains Hops and select roasted malts to make it our darkest beer. First brewed to commemorate our 97th anniversary, this Bohemian Black Lager remains true to the old-world heritage of the German and Czech immigrants that settled Shiner. Prosit!

jtxx (149) - san antonio, Texas, USA - SEP 14, 2006
What fly said below.

Shiner is trying.... and I do what I can to support the local brews. Pretty crisp and no problems drinking straight from the bottle.

fly (1487) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2006
seemed okay, if simple. simplicity in bounds? at least I didn’t taste anything WRONG with it, so I’ll take that as a positive thing. weird from my vantage point to see ratings from afar over a brewery I once held near and dear. the more things change the more they .. no, not sure that one works here ,...
fina; commet (prior to seeing what it’s labeled as I figured it was a schwartxbier - not too far off I don’t suppose)

jrmac (335) - South Carolina, USA - SEP 11, 2006
A very nice brew from Shiner. hints of chocolate and vanilla. To me it has an almost coffeee character on the finish. Get it while you can because very few cases made it to South Carolina.

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - SEP 10, 2006
Bottle. Clear brown color with attractive thick tan head that left a curtain of lace on the glass. Smelled of malty molasses and light brown sugar. Slighly roasty on the tongue with toasted bread and malty caramel flavors.

biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - AUG 30, 2006
Very dark with a ruby hue, little head. Roasted barley and caramel aroma with notes of vanilla and cocoa. Dusty, burnt malt flavor with some bitterness. Rather thin in body and gassy for the style. A bit astringent. It lacks the richness of better examples of the style.

goldtwins (4319) - Nesconset, New York, USA - AUG 7, 2006
Poured a very dark clear brown color with a minimal off-white head. Nice chocolate aroma with a fair amount of roasted malt. The flavor had a fair amount of chocolate as well. Light to medium bodied.