overall
RATINGS: 1148   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale is a crisp and refreshing wheat ale with delightful aromatics and subtle spiced flavor.

First Brewed: 1996
Hops: Willamette, Saphir
Color: Golden
OG: 1.048

drazil91 (41) - Panama City, Florida, USA - OCT 16, 2005
Drinkable but disappointing, not enough head, and not enough pumpkin. I expected more pumpkin or pumpkin spice or aroma.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2005
This was the weakest pumpkin I tasted this year. Thankfully my father-in-law ;ikes it??? He thinks I am great for giving him rthe last 4. Don’t bother.

Nuffield (4189) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - OCT 15, 2005
I had the Blue Moon Pumpkin the night before this, and I think this was the loser of the comparison. Yellow, rather than a more rich color of amber, the flavor here was much more of straight up pumpkin, with a sense that it was an under-spiced pumpkin pie (the Blue Moon had a lot more to it like gingerbread or pumpkinbread). Average palate. Not bad, and actually my wife quite liked it, and I think there are more and more decent pumpkin beers out there--it’s not an inherently bad combination.

crizay (1050) - Brook Park, Ohio, USA - OCT 15, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 25, 2006 First thing I think the bottled version has more flavor than tap. Very clear golden pour, thin white head. A cheap pumpkin beer that actually has some pumpkin flavoring, wish there was a little bit more it’s kinda on the weak side, but you get some pumpkin and the spices that go into a pumpkin pie, not bad just wish there was a little more flavor, still more than others I’ve had. A beer anybody could drink.

crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - OCT 14, 2005
pretty good, poured a straw-golden color with a white head. A mix of cinnamon and coriandor in the aroma. Taste was yeasty at first but finished with a sweet cinnamon pumpkin bite.

jewedekind (450) - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 11, 2005
Bottle. Pours a nice pilsner-looking straw colored beer with a thin white head. Strong cinnamon nose and full allspice. Hot on the tongue with some bitterness..or is that the cinnamon? A bit of vanilla. Dusty on the palate. A nice pumpkin.

Kevin (2200) - Montana, USA - OCT 10, 2005
almost clear yellow pour with a white head. aroma is nutmeg, chemicals, cinnamon, and dough. pumpkin flavor with a liberal dose of nutmeg and cinnamon. apple pie finish somehow.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 10, 2005
Golden color, nearly no head. Cinnamon and squash nose. Light and weak cinnamon taste, also squash, cookie dough and apples. Lively carbonated. I really get used to those Pumpkin stuff ;-)

madmaven (1) - Saint Petersburg, Florida, USA - OCT 9, 2005 does not count
Another reason to make Fall my favorite season! Best beer and my new favorite!

hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - OCT 9, 2005
Pours hazy orange, thin head. Apple, cinnamon, vanilla nose with small hints of cherry. Cake, ginger, really sweet flavour. Somewhat yeasty finish.