overall
RATINGS: 1200   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.85/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 18   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale is a crisp and refreshing wheat ale with delightful aromatics and subtle spiced flavor.

First Brewed: 1996
Hops: Willamette, Saphir
Color: Golden
OG: 1.048

dlovell2 (2089) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Sweet, Cinnamon, Nutmeg aroma. Pours glowing orange with short lived fizzy head. Feels bubbly on tounge. Great Pumpkin taste with cinnamon and Nutmeg. This is my favorite Pumpkin Ale. I was excited to find it in Maryland.

boFNjackson (4201) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Bottle... Poured clear orange with a fizzy white head that faded immediately. Spicy cinnamon, nutmeg aroma. Full body with a highly carbonated palate. Initial flavors of cinnamon and malt. The aftertaste gives a little pumpkin pie presence. This used to be my favorite pumpkin beer in college, and although I’m enjoying pumpkin beers less and less these days, I am glad to have gotten my hands on a bottle.

MadMan (495) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - OCT 10, 2007
Bottle, labeled as Kennebunkport Pumpin Ale from Trader Joe’s. Pours a pale gold with very thin white head. Aroma has a sour apple cider note to it but also a pumpkin and cinnamon strength. Body is light, we’re leaning towards thin at times with medium fizzy carbonation. Flavors come in with pumpkin, spice, some gingersnap, cinnamon, and maybe allspice. Finish very light, with hints of pumpkin spice. Had this one tonight along with a DFH punkin. Both are my first of this type. I think this one wasn’t bad at all, some of the tartness breaks up some of the heavier spice like flavors and makes it very drinkable. The other was a bit more serious on the nutmeg and spice side where this one seems more pumpkin like. No idea, wish I would have had them side by side now. I’m seriously considering getting at least one more bottle of each as well as tracking down more pumpkin beers and going nuts.

mikeben (355) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - OCT 7, 2007
I liked this pretty well. Tasted the pumkin very cleary and it had a nice sweetness to it. Had some nice spices, but I wouldn’t drink it all the time. Nice change of pace.

rmussman (1701) - California, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Finally a good pumpkin flavored beer. I tried a lot last year but never found one this good! Hooray to Shipyard and available on the west coast. Oktoberfest on Ft. Mason in SF in 6 days!

Imaena (2315) - Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE - OCT 7, 2007
Draft in Bar Harbor: Nice pumpkin smell but the flavour really let it down. a bit watery and lakcing in the spice. great label and name though.

mgumby10 (1856) - Jupiter, Florida, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Courtesy juiceisloose. Pours a clear light gold color with a small white head. Smells like pumpkin, not much cinnamon spice, almost like a perfume of some sort. The taste was much the same. This definitely needs more spice to it, as it was mostly bland pumpkn flavor. Definitely needs more nutmeg, it seemed almost floral. Low on the totem poll of pumpkin beers for me.

redgold07 (308) - Irving, Texas, USA - OCT 7, 2007
Pours a pale orange/amber color with a good-sized head. Not too powerful of an aroma, but great tasting. The cinnamon, sugar, and nutmeg come through nicely. A very enjoyably beer, but perhaps a bit watery. 12 oz. bottle.

WhiteAlePower (92) - Long Island, New York, USA - OCT 6, 2007
This is my favourite of the Pumpkin Ales, which I have had, of course. Avery spicy brew, not weak at all. Very heart in all senses.

markwise (5441) - North of Tampa, Florida, USA - OCT 5, 2007
Had from tap at Mellow Mushroom. Poured clear light orange and had a very sugary smell. The beer was a bit flat and the taste was sugary. I smelled ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and brown sugar, but I was disappointed by the taste. I could not finish a pint. More sugary than pumpkiny.