overall
Serve in

RATINGS: 97   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11/5   EST. CALORIES: 450   ABV: 15%
Sho Chiku Bai means "Pine Bamboo Plum". Ginjo is a special reserve connoisseur class of sake. Most sakes are brewed with rice that has been milled 30%. For our Ginjo we use rice that is polished over 50%. Additionally, we use a special strain of yeast that allows for fermentation at a cooler temperature. The result of the slower, longer process is a silky-smooth, rich and fruity flavor. Known as "The Frosty Bottle", one of the top selling Ginjyo Sake in the U.S.. Kosher Certified.

1.3
fredandboboflo (1570) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 1, 2008
Bottle. So if you’re into sake, I guess discount my rating, but since this is a beer website first and foremost, that’s probably a pretty safe bet for many of these sake ratings. Aroma of light fruits, maybe some melon varieties, sweet apples, sweet tangerines. Flavor very very strong in the alcohol department, not sure if the appearance just made me think vodka, or if the overpowering alcohol did that by itself, but in any case, any light, playful fruitiness I found in the nose was erased by the urge to spit out everything I put in my mouth. My first drainpour since a can of Coors Light freshman year of college.

1.2
LilBeerDoctor (4032) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2008
Bottle. My first sake...pours clear with only slight carbonation. Aroma is very sweet, some champagne-like notes. Flavor of sweet honeydew melon, light fruit. Very strong and as someone else said, it reminded me of vodka. Nothing at all like beer, more like hard alcohol or wine. The alcohol in this was too harsh and I could not even finish my glass. I’m not sure if this is typical of sakes or just this one but in any event, I don’t think I’ll be returning to sake anytime soon.

Guinness4Duff (515) - Tallahassee (and Poconos, PA), Florida, USA - JUN 24, 2008
300 ml bottle. Chilled, clear color with a fruity and slightly alcoholic aroma. The alcohol flavor is nicely masked by a smooth sweet and fruity taste. Rather nice.

radagast83 (8191) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - MAY 18, 2008
375 ml bottle, served cold. Better before it warms. I’m no expert on sake, so I’m just guessing here. Pours a pretty clear color. Aroma is a little sweet. The beverage is pretty smooth and easy to drink. Alcohol not very noticeable while drinking.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - MAY 2, 2008
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2008 Bottle from BevMo: Served chilled. Clear color. Light sweet melon aroma with a faint hint of pine. Delicate flavors of coconut with hints of tropical fruit and a light semi-dry finish. Light body is delicately smooth. 15% ABV is not apparent in aroma or flavor, but makes it’s presence known. Very attractive frosty bottle.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - APR 14, 2008
300ml - Served out of the fridge. I also allowed it to warm to compare cold and warm and preferred the cold. Less of a bite when drank. Aroma is sweet sugar cane, lime zest, alcohol and coconut. Clear. Flavor is grainy sweet rice and alcohol. Very warming in the belly and quick to the head. Palate is sticky but clean. This was my first sake.

OKBeer (1171) - Halifax, Nova Scotia, CANADA - JAN 17, 2008
From 375 ml bottle, served chilled. Very pale straw shade with a hint of green. Peach, pineapple, banana, floral, and other tropical fruit aroma. Peach, pineapple, and apple flavours with a pleasant fruity and milky acidity and alcohol finish. Medium bodied, very smooth and almost free of any alcoholic roughness – just a touch of burn on the finish. Pleasant and easy drinking.

SudsMcDuff (8462) - .....Manchester United.........., Texas, USA - OCT 13, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 20, 2007 Cantaloupe, licorice, and rice Aroma’s ... alot of flavours alike in the smell, some coconut too ........ Clear as water .. nice and sweet ... "deeeelightful" ... a quality sake it appears .. even MsCoop liked it! a people pleaser... Had warm at a sushi place, is damn drinkable, smooth, alcohol and heat warm the stomach, a very nice sake! and the first time for sushi was quite pleasant too ..rock’n + dynamite tuna!

puzzl (3260) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 11, 2007
Served a bit warmer than fridge temp. Rated at room temp. Light plum, pineapple, rosewater aroma. Fresh steamed chinese rice. I just dipped my nose in it by mistake. Didn’t do anything to my nose. That’s good. Appearance is completely clear, which is why I dipped my nose in it. I couldn’t see it. Where did my sake go?

Took a sip from the cup and there was still sake in there. That’s nice. Ricey and kind of thick, bamboo flavors. A bit of a harsh bite towards the finish though and this has warmed it lost that. Not bad, but not exciting.

obguthr (6532) - Staunton, Virginia, USA - JUL 24, 2007
My first sake, so I’m not sure what to look for. Aroma is alcohol, berries, butter, and honey. Pours clear like water, but a bit thicker. Tastes strongly of cantaloupe. Carboard finish, with some kiwi fruit notes. I doubt I will drink sake again as it seems too similar to flavored vodka. I basically only like beer and cider, but I can enjoy mead and wine when I’m in the right mood. Everything else is unappealing to me.