RATINGS: 116   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• Aromatic earth tonic of the resinous picea and humulus lupulus
• Beer Type: Imperial pilsner brewed with Northern Michigan Blue Spruce needles and healthy doses of high alpha hops

Imperial India Spruce Pilsner is fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips and the quintessential symbol for Joe Short’s love of hops and craft beer. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

Mette (224) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - OCT 2, 2008
shorts smagning med klubben. Det er nok den bedste i aften. Uklar gul/orange med et hvidt skum. Masser af "natur", gran nåle, skov, harpiks, rosmarin, sødt med masser af humle. Guf guf!

MikeMac (185) - Wyandotte, Michigan, USA - NOV 21, 2007
750 ml bottle . Pored a nice trasperent gold nice fizzy head. Aroma was strong a ton of hop and pine. A wild array of flavor to much to describe. I would definitly drink one again

ElDuderino (184) - Hyde Park, Massachusetts, USA - APR 27, 2009
Bottle. I love imperial pilsners. LOVE them. This beer really disappointed. The smell was awesome, crisp, piney, lots of fresh wheat notes. On my first sip I was crushed. It tasted like a tree branch, with strong sappy notes and wet bark. The finish was almost metallic but really just reminded me of when I was young and would twist and turn at a branch off the christmas tree until my hands were just raw with the scent of pine wood and sap. No malt character detectable, as the hops and bitters just dominate in a strange strange way. Seems like they used a weird sugar or something.

yjb (113) - Davis, California, USA - MAY 17, 2008
strong and sweet tastes like im supping on sap... not a bad thing... in a league of its own. Recommended to try bun maybe not to by again... still a great experiment. KEEP ’em coming shorts!!!

mto (99) - helsinki, FINLAND - APR 12, 2009
([email protected]) hazy yellowamber colour with small head. on nose spruce and mouth too. nomnomnom

paulgermain (16) - sterling heights, Michigan, USA - AUG 3, 2010
An amazing beer that taste incredible. Great color wonderful head nice piney smell. The pine taste is not overpowering.

bcabaday (5) - - SEP 25, 2014 does not count
Poured cloudy, color more of a hefe or pale than a pilz. Earthy mountain pine on the nose. The taste is crisp, resiny pine. Surprising beer. It has a little lemon on the front of the palate. Interesting beer, white head diminished pretty quick.

Matthew (2) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 2, 2008 does not count
750ml bottle. Pours into my tulip glass a clear burnt golden orange with a solid inch of frothy white rocky head. As the head slowly settles a solid ring of lace is left behind inside my glass. The nose is pronounced with unique aromas of piny spruce with a spearmint like quality. Hop aromas consisting of floral and very light citrus tones are apparent beneath the piny character along with a tinge of malt sweetness. The initial sip brings the big well defined spruce aroma found in the nose into my mouth. It almost seems as though I’m not tasting the big earthy/floral pine spruce quality as much as it just seems to overtake my mouth but not in an abrasive way. Hop bitterness coats my tongue while a bit of semi-sweet malt tries to poke through just before the dry finish completes my swallow. After each sip my nose and mouth seems to emanate spruce. The beer is unexpectingly fairly full bodied. with a good amount of prickly carbonation. How is this beer 10%abv? Its no where to be found. I’d assume that if this beer was fresher that there is a good possibility that the spruce and hop characteristics may be bigger and may take away from drinkability, but as this beer stands right now its pretty easy to drink and begs you to take another sip to taste what you haven’t tasted before in a beer, much like most shorts beers I have had the pleasure to try.

Raptoid (1) - Michigan, USA - JUL 16, 2013 does not count
This brew is very niche. Which,of course, if you a Shorts fan...you appreciate. It’s aroma is quite "green" with the fresh cut spruce tips. I would go as far as saying that it has a full bodied flavor that fills in the voids beautifully. Finish is a robust hops and earthy taste with the pine throughout.