overall
RATINGS: 172   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 89   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Freedom of ’78 is a medium bodied IPA with a wonderful, bright clarity and pleasing bronze hue. The aroma is a unique fusion of citrus fruit and subtle pine qualities. The distinct characteristics of the guava nectar are impossible to miss, and attributes of tangerine, nectarine, and even faint honey flavors are detectable. The finish quickly turns to an expected IPA bitterness that turns dry during prolonged tastings

Ernesto987 (6050) - Arizona, USA - MAY 21, 2012
I love guava and this beer is so freaking sexy. Big guava and hop aroma. The perfect about of guava flavor. There should be more beers like this!!

Sammy (12762) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 14, 2012
Slightly orange fruity coloured with loads of white foam that later leaves a lace trail. Very floral citrus hops,and the fresh guava. Still, smells like an IPA overall. Very smooth mouthfeel. the guava flavour is pronounced and dominates though it does not overpower, and is blended with hop oils. Very drinkable and a good one.Bottle from FlandersNed. This was cellared somewhat and would not be as appreciated by pure hopheads. Certainly reminds me of CC Guava Grove.

BelgianBeerGal (4158) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 7, 2012
Another Shorts offering from Jale at the pre-DLD Flossmoor party. Cellar temperature that was mostly hops and a little fruit. Makes more sense now that I see it is a "guava IPA." Fairly delicate but well done.

umich03jm (3512) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - MAY 7, 2012
UPDATED: APR 29, 2015 Slightly cloudy medium orange with very little head. Sweet fruity aroma along with some citrus and floral hops. The fruit must be the agave, smells tasty. Taste is a very odd mix of agave fruit mixed with the earthiness of the hops. Strong bitterness adds something else too. An odd mix but I like it. Finish is dry and the agave taste stays with you. A good unique ipa that I recommend trying. Re-rate 4/29/15 - I think my tastes have changed. I love this IPA now. Super juicy guava aroma. Big guava and citrus taste. Light bitterness. So smooth. Light tartness. Great summer thirst quencher.

rumproasts (6035) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAY 6, 2012
copper colored, average head. the idea of a guava IPA sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, but this turned out fabulous. wonderfully hoppy with the guava sweetness. one of the most flavorful beers i have had in a long time.

bwa5879 (959) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAY 6, 2012
Poured from bottle to pint glass. Very hoppy aroma. Hazy golden copper pour. Floral hop flavor with pairings of what must be guava. Having never had it personally, I’d describe it as tropical citrus fruits. This beer is so so good. Very ideal IPA, nice change of pace from the norm. Left a fair amount of lacing on the glass as I drank. Delicious hoppy finish. Outstanding beer. Anyone IPA lover that does not like fruit in their beer should absolutely pick this up, you won’t be disappointed.

mikem409 (2029) - bloomfield, Michigan, USA - APR 30, 2012
tap at union. Pours light orange thin head. Aroma is off charts good. Mango, passionfruit. Taste is sweet tropical fruit and nice hop

Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - APR 30, 2012
Originally reviewed: 1/7/11. 12oz bottle poured into a chalice. Pours a faintly hazy dark copper/orange with a thin half-finger width white head on top. Some spotty lace clings to the glass. The nose is bursting with scents of fresh-squeezed oranges, pineapple, guava. Slightly peppery, with a faint alcohol singe on the back end. Good full-bodied IPA with plenty of carbonation zip. There’s plenty of bitter hops to go around with this beer, but my overall impression is pepper and spices. I expected more of a fruity-tasting IPA, but this one is herbal, earthy, and spicy. Part of this reminds me of Saison Du BUFF (any version) with the herbal notes, but it is definitively an IPA. Some citrus sweetness rounds it out, and there’s a crisp bitter finish. As far as drinkability is concerned, the spiciness may wear on me after awhile, but it is a pleasure to sip one. A good bitter beer that will cure my hop-fix any day.

blackflag321 (701) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2012
I don’t know what guava tastes like, but I now know what it smells like. Beer has a unique, very strong, but pleasant aroma. A nice variation from your typical IPA. I shy away from any beer with fruit, but his one is okay.

Spacepuppy (2) - - APR 19, 2012 does not count
pleasant aroma, you can smell hints of the guava and a nic floral note. The beer pours a ever so slightly hazy light orange/bronze color with 1 finger of white head. I would have thought from the smell that the guava would be more prominent but while it is definatly there I am finding more citrusy grapfruit, orange and pineapple flavors from the hops I would assume since it does have a substantial bitterness but is balanced nicely with a malty sweetness and the guava. This beer has substantial carbonation and medium body. Overall I think this is fantastic stuff, I must say I am NOT a fruit in my beer kind of guy and I was very skeptical of this beer even at the beer store I thought about putting it back on the shelf but I am glad I diddnt. The guava really works wel in this type of beer and I will have to go back and pick up some more since like many Shorts beer this is of limited production. Pick this one up if you see it!