overall
RATINGS: 155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• The intrinsic celebration of beer and the giant red berry cloaked within piper nigrum, apium graveolens dulce, armoracia rusticana, and anethum graveolens
• Beer Type: Specialty Beer fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290 batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

RespertFTW (521) - Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2013
Bottle. Definitely an interesting concept here. Murky dark gold pour. Almost no head. Sweet initial tomato flavor and spicy finish. Not an everyday beer, but I think it has its place.

andrewmb83 (42) - Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2013
On tap, 6 oz flight. Smells a wonderful garden bouquet, with the dill and horseradish coming through. A nice taste where you can pick out the individual ingredients. Coming from a background where you always have a beer chaser with your bloody mary in the morning, this is a wonderful concept, and although I only had 6 oz I liked the taste. I heard from the owner of the bar that this beer is much better on tap then in the bottle.

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Right away, I’ll say I like this beer far less than I’m indicating with the scores. Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color. Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well. Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it’s great. As a pickle brine lover (it’s sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don’t love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I’m not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you’re a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn’t have guessed the ABV was so high. Basically, my review doesn’t help anybody who’s not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

radarsock (1194) - Massachusetts, USA - FEB 26, 2013
Had on tap at Lord Hobo same night as my Key Lime Pie entry. Pours a fizzy yellowish tone with a shortish, trimmed-out whitish head. Smells and tastes delicately of tomato juice, burnt celery, vitamins, seaweed, and ash. Interesting to say the least.

Mittenator (1612) - Michigan, USA - FEB 21, 2013
Bottle. Freaky concept for a beer and shorts pulled it off. These were a big breakfast hit on a camping trip. Tastes really close to a Bloody Mary. Maybe next time I'll serve it with celery.

tricyclist (1125) - Florida, USA - JAN 15, 2013
Thanks Mike! Pint pour of hazed gold with a full finger head. Nose is a bit strange... Tomato, green... just green? salt, vines and leaves... some feet notes. I’m kinda in love/hate with this one. It’s different, obviously. Tomato and salt come through pretty quickly, but I also got celery (and I hate celery.. a worthless damn vegetable), parsley and herbs are also in there. Yeah, a weird one, but I’m really glad I got to try it. Lighter body, not much in the way of lacing.

superspak (5594) - Michigan, USA - JAN 9, 2013
12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours slightly hazy orange copper color with a 1 finger foamy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin lace. Slight spotty lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of tomato, tomato skins, black peppercorn, celery seed, celery stalks, dill, horseradish, and herbal earthiness. Nice and extremely interesting aromas with good strength and balance; all of the spices mentioned on the bottle definitely show up. Taste of roma tomato, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery, celery seed, herbal, grass, light hot sauce, and earthy spiciness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of roma tomatoes, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery seed, grass, herbal, slight hot sauce, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Nice and interesting flavors that are robust and well balanced; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium cabonation and medium bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very solid experimental spiced beer. Very unique and interesting; nicely balanced and smooth. I have never had a Bloody Mary before, so I cant comment on that note; but I would still say that they did a good job of what they were after. Fairly enjoyable stuff for me.

bpar73 (1118) - Bellaire, Michigan, USA - JAN 4, 2013
Golden pour with aroma of peppercorn and dill. Slight taste of tomato, mostly peppercorn and dill. Had it with a salsa dish so might have overpowered the tomato flavor, Tastes a lot like Short’s Nicie Spicie to me, which is still ok.

blackflag321 (689) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - NOV 6, 2012
Split a bottle; pours light brown/amber with a distinct cloud hanging in it. Intense tomato and celery aroma. Peppery up front with a subtle, smooth tomato flavor lingering on the palate. I could see pairing this with a salad or other vegetable dish, but not drinking more than one in a session.

Dogbrick (13010) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2012
Sample at GABF 10/13/2012, thanks to Bluemeow76 for assistance with note-taking. Murky reddish-orange color with a thin white head and spotty lacing. Aroma of tomatoes and spice. Medium body with a vegetal character and flavors of tomato, earth and spice. The finish is spicy tomato. Interesting but not something I would revisit.