overall
RATINGS: 157   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• The intrinsic celebration of beer and the giant red berry cloaked within piper nigrum, apium graveolens dulce, armoracia rusticana, and anethum graveolens
• Beer Type: Specialty Beer fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290 batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

DrSilverworm (10000) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 26, 2013
4oz on tap at HopCat East Lansing during the Shorts tap takeover. First beer of the day. Mostly clear bright orange color. Little bubbly off-white head, no lace. Nice tomato spice, light tobasco in the nose. Bigger body. Smooth, crisp lighter carbonation. Nice moderate bitter taste, lightly spicy, good heat in the finish. Very impressively close to a bloody mary. Awesome, super interesting stuff. Much lighter and easier to drink than expected. Made for a great breakfast beer.

koleminer20 (4171) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - AUG 24, 2013
HopCat in East Lansing. The pour is an orangy gold color with a decent head that fades rapidly. The smell is very prominent of some kind of spruce or pine and the orange that’s supposed to be in there. The taste is very forward with blood orange and the hops take the back seat. It’s got a decent mouth feel, but the flavors evaporate quickly.

mikem409 (2032) - bloomfield, Michigan, USA - AUG 14, 2013
bottle. pours a thick red with a reddish head. peppery tomato and pickle aroma. taste is very salty and thick mouth lots of tomato ummm not for me

cpetrone84 (1810) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 12, 2013
Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

RespertFTW (520) - Michigan, USA - APR 25, 2013
Bottle. Definitely an interesting concept here. Murky dark gold pour. Almost no head. Sweet initial tomato flavor and spicy finish. Not an everyday beer, but I think it has its place.

andrewmb83 (43) - Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2013
On tap, 6 oz flight. Smells a wonderful garden bouquet, with the dill and horseradish coming through. A nice taste where you can pick out the individual ingredients. Coming from a background where you always have a beer chaser with your bloody mary in the morning, this is a wonderful concept, and although I only had 6 oz I liked the taste. I heard from the owner of the bar that this beer is much better on tap then in the bottle.

Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - MAR 20, 2013
Right away, I’ll say I like this beer far less than I’m indicating with the scores. Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color. Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well. Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it’s great. As a pickle brine lover (it’s sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don’t love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I’m not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you’re a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn’t have guessed the ABV was so high. Basically, my review doesn’t help anybody who’s not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

radarsock (1223) - Massachusetts, USA - FEB 26, 2013
Had on tap at Lord Hobo same night as my Key Lime Pie entry. Pours a fizzy yellowish tone with a shortish, trimmed-out whitish head. Smells and tastes delicately of tomato juice, burnt celery, vitamins, seaweed, and ash. Interesting to say the least.

Mittenator (1612) - Michigan, USA - FEB 21, 2013
Bottle. Freaky concept for a beer and shorts pulled it off. These were a big breakfast hit on a camping trip. Tastes really close to a Bloody Mary. Maybe next time I'll serve it with celery.

tricyclist (1125) - Florida, USA - JAN 15, 2013
Thanks Mike! Pint pour of hazed gold with a full finger head. Nose is a bit strange... Tomato, green... just green? salt, vines and leaves... some feet notes. I’m kinda in love/hate with this one. It’s different, obviously. Tomato and salt come through pretty quickly, but I also got celery (and I hate celery.. a worthless damn vegetable), parsley and herbs are also in there. Yeah, a weird one, but I’m really glad I got to try it. Lighter body, not much in the way of lacing.