overall
RATINGS: 155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.05/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• The intrinsic celebration of beer and the giant red berry cloaked within piper nigrum, apium graveolens dulce, armoracia rusticana, and anethum graveolens
• Beer Type: Specialty Beer fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290 batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

jredmond (8288) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 22, 2012
Sampled at GABF with Andrew and Moreau. Aroma is tomato, spice and celery. Mouthfeel is medium with notes of tomato, leaf, spinach, spice and celery. A very interesting take on a tomato beer, but not sure I would love drinking a full glass of this.

Jriggz7 (117) - Indiana, USA - OCT 20, 2012
12oz bottle poured amber orange with large bubble head that dissipates quick. Aroma Roma tomatoes and celery. Taste tomato, celery,peppercorn, horseradish, with overpowering dill finish. Low carbonation. Mouth feel slick and palate coated kinda slimy. Not terrible but won’t revisit

XmnwildX12 (2079) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - OCT 19, 2012
Had this at the 2012 Great American Beer Fest in Denver, Colorado. Slight tomato scent, little spice from the horseradish, like a Bloody Mary.

574deadzone (1419) - North Central, Indiana, USA - OCT 15, 2012
Bottle. Pours a cloudy golden orange with a thin eggshell ring of foam. Nose of peppery spices with some pilsner notes underneath. Taste is not too sweet or bitter, more salty than anything and a touch tart. Lighter side of medium bodied, smooth, slightly active carb with a salty, tangy finish. Not nearly as gross as I thought it would be. Actually pretty decent, though it’s not going to replace my bloody marys, which incidentally are phenomenal.

BrewDad (5328) - Olympia, Washington, USA - OCT 14, 2012
This was a super beer. tasted just like a bloddy beer. Golden in color, clear with a thin head. I was impressed.

queenholly (3623) - South Whitley, Indiana, USA - SEP 21, 2012
Bottle. Fresh tomatoes and pimento aroma, reminds me quite a bit of green olive brine. Cloudy amber with a small ivory head. Vegetal malt flavor, with a an odd tannic spiciness, almost oaky. I’m a big fan of Bloody Mary, and this is just plain wrong, in my opinion. Now I’ve got to go make myself a Bloody Mary just on principle.

Huhzubendah (3705) - Washington DC, USA - SEP 12, 2012
On draft at Churchkey in D.C. The beer is reminiscent of a conflagration trapped inside an hourglass. Fire-tinged orange and red hued liquid with low carbonation, thin head, and very little lacing. The aroma = bloody mary. Short’s nailed this one. Spicy tomatoes, peppercorns, alcohol, Tabasco, peppers. Admittedly, I am not the biggest fan of bloody marys. However, I can’t imagine a beer masquerading as a bloody mary more convincingly than Short’s Bloody Beer. The spices and pepper are quite forward, and the beer brings plenty of heat. Best in small quantities. Absolutely worth a try. Extremely creative and interesting. Serving type: on-tap Reviewed on: 06-06-2011

Sammy (12212) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUL 8, 2012
and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of FlandersNed. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife’s salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel.

Gription79 (2891) - Bountiful, Utah, USA - MAY 27, 2012
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. I found this to be a ridiculously fun beer to drink. The aroma is of a Bloody Mary, I get tomato, celery, pepper, dill, slight tartness, heat from the horseradish. This is a very well made beer and it kept a smile on my face. Nice job.

NachlamSie (3485) - Denver, Colorado, USA - MAY 20, 2012
Bottle at Hopcat. Well, I was just too curious to not try this. Tomato is apparent in the aroma, not as much in the flavor. The spices are natural and refrshing. When I take a sip I’m feeling some barrel-aged type flavors for whatever reason. The peppery notes are the highlights of this brew. It’s not terrible. They pulled off this tomato-beer thing better than any other I’ve had.