overall
RATINGS: 157   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• The intrinsic celebration of beer and the giant red berry cloaked within piper nigrum, apium graveolens dulce, armoracia rusticana, and anethum graveolens
• Beer Type: Specialty Beer fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290 batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

argo0 (14127) - Washington DC, USA - JUN 9, 2011
Draft. Cloudy blood orange body with small off-white head. Aroma is moderately sweet, tomato, some celery, light rye -- definite Bloody Mary characteristics. Taste is moderately sweet, orange, some caramel, light dill, tomato. Medium body, low carbonation.

madmitch76 (26413) - , Essex, ENGLAND - JUN 5, 2011
12th June 2009
Cloudy amber beer. Crisp palate. Instant spicy hit from the pepper and more so from the horse radish and celery. From the mid through to the finish the tomatoes come through. They are rich and not sharp or acidic. Warming afterglow of spice. A remarkable and unique beer. Well balanced in it’s unusual ingredients. Joe Short is a genius!

radagast83 (8624) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 3, 2011
At Short’s Brewing Monster Tap Takeover at Churchkey. Okay, I understand that this beer will not be everyone’s thing. Because I knew exactly what I was getting into, I really really really liked this one. If you’re not a fan of a Bloody Mary, avoid. Roma tomatoes, dill, peppercorn both on the aroma and taste.

Jaksmart (456) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2011
Red pour, white head. Just terrible. Old bottle. Aroma has tons of tomatoes, ketchup, sourness ginger. Not at all my cup of beer.

JohnnyJ (5569) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 25, 2011
Sample from bottle at tasting. Cloudy reddish orange pour, small off-white head. Largely tomatoes, with ground black pepper, vegetable, celery, and light horseradish spiciness. I guess it would be okay if you liked V8 juice.

phredrik (1024) - Copenhagen (formerly Aalborg), DENMARK - MAY 8, 2011
Aroma has vegetables, tomatoes, cardboard, celery, berries. Taste has tomatoes, celery, peppers, cardboard, bad.

RasmusOtt (2912) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 8, 2011
Pours orange/amber with a tiny head. Aroma is ketchup, pepper, sun dried tomatoes and vegtables. Taste add some sourness and some Uurghh.. Funny.

Mora2000 (6158) - McKinney, Texas, USA - MAY 3, 2011
Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

bu11zeye (13239) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - MAY 2, 2011
(12oz bottle, courtesy of Mora2000) Pours a cloudy golden orange body with a small white head. Aroma of dill weed, celery, pepper, tomato, and horseradish. Flavor of roasted tomato, toasted coconut, horseradish, and dill.

DavoleBomb (1867) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 26, 2011
Poured into a pint glass. I’ve been wanting to try this for a while 3.5 A: This isn’t as "bloody" in color as I would have expected. Opaque dark orange brownish color. One finger of frothy off-white head that falls pretty quickly and leaves just a touch of lacing. 3.0 S: If I didn’t know what went into this, I’m pretty sure I’m be appalled. Unsurprisingly vegetal and unforgiving. The tomato and horseradish comes through perhaps a bit too strong. Dill comes through next, but the other stuff is barely detectable. 2.5 T: While the nose is barely passable, the taste is not. Overly vegetal without a strong "beer" backbone. Too much tomato and way too much horseradish (there should be none). I’m also not a big fan of dill in general, so its presence isn’t welcomed either. Peppercorns show up. 3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Fairly creamy, but not particularly smooth. 2.5 D: I love Short’s innovation and experimentation, but this goes too far. This is a bit like Mamma Mia pizza beer, but the vegetable component is a lot stronger and makes this almost undrinkable. That said, they nailed what they set out to do. Still, I’ll pass on this next time. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 04-22-2011 05:03:16