overall
RATINGS: 157   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 40   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• The intrinsic celebration of beer and the giant red berry cloaked within piper nigrum, apium graveolens dulce, armoracia rusticana, and anethum graveolens
• Beer Type: Specialty Beer fermented with Roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill

Bloody Beer is a lighter bodied beer with an appealing ruby red glow. Fermented with Roma tomatoes, and spiced with dill, horseradish, peppercorns and celery seed, a prominent aroma of spicy tomato juice emits from the beer. The intense initial tomato flavor is followed by a lingering finish that allows each additional ingredient a chance to resonate on the palate. When slightly warm, this 2009 Great American Beer Festival silver medal winner’s magnitude of flavors can be fully appreciated.

Bloody Beer was beer number 8 of 13 from our 2007 Imperial Beer Series and it was the 290 batch of beer ever brewed at Short’s.

blackflag321's rating

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
blackflag321 (705) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - NOV 6, 2012
Split a bottle; pours light brown/amber with a distinct cloud hanging in it. Intense tomato and celery aroma. Peppery up front with a subtle, smooth tomato flavor lingering on the palate. I could see pairing this with a salad or other vegetable dish, but not drinking more than one in a session.

Block (3222) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 31, 2017
Backlog entry prior to closing out 2017. Well rounded, as expected. Nothing too unusual.

phaleslu (10889) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - DEC 5, 2017
Draft at HopCat - Broad Ripple. Pours a semi-cloudy gold-orange with a small white head that settles into a ring. Whoa- it's really a Bloody Mary beer. Celery and celery salt, regular salt, tomato, dill, pepper and horseradish spice, vegetals, earth, and sweet malts. Light-bodied, with medium carbonation and a salty, vegetal mouthfeel. This was weird enough to take a chance on, and I'm glad I did.

HopUverymuch () - white lake, Michigan, USA - NOV 26, 2017
This is a daring challenge by Shorts, and I think they pulled it off with flying colors. Now it’s definitely a Bloody Beer. As in if you already don’t like Bloody Marys and the like then you probably aren’t going to like this beer, because it tastes and smells remarkably like a Bloody (go figure). I shared 6 with 2 friends and we went through them quickly wanting for more. We love Bloody Marys and love this beer. I rated this beer for what it is and in the context of a Bloody Mary clone it’s great.

SpartanStout (45) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - OCT 20, 2017
Despite the not overwhelmingly positive remarks on this beer, it's amazing that any company can produce a beer that tastes so much like a bloody mary. On top of that, who would even risk it. Props to Short's for a success on this one, even if it's not a crowd pleaser.

Dfonorow (2318) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 26, 2016
Bottle. Pour is deep amber with a small white head. Notes of pepper spice, vegetables, oak, and tomato juice. Bleh.

CountPrattula (64) - - AUG 4, 2015
Very strong horseradish, spicy peppercorn, and a bit of dill. Extraordinarily vegetal.

orangesol (1022) - Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 7, 2014
Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato’s, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary’s but this one really didn’t do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short’s beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

tectactoe (3125) - Michigan, USA - MAY 4, 2014
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2014 Bottle: Darkish, muddled copper-orange with a thick white head, decent lacing. Interesting nose of massive peppercorn, dill, basil, roasted tomatoes, spicy peppers... Smells more like a meal than a beer. The taste is not as good. Full-out tomato juice. HEAVY tomato, heavy peppercorn as well with faint vegetal notes, celery seed, pickle juice, a touch of spiciness but it surprisingly finishes quite sweet. Salty brine aftertaste, tomatoes linger for eternity. Not a fan. I don’t love tomato juice to begin with, but I can even stand a Bloody Mary now & then. This just falls apart for me.

rumproasts (6052) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 4, 2013
bottle. I’d have to say, I think Bloody Marys are one of the nastiest things ever, but I had to try this anyway. I couldn’t make it past the first sip. Quite a bit of the tomato and spice makes it through. I like the idea, but this one’s not for me.

bytemesis (9464) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - SEP 6, 2013
Bottle. Pours hazy amber with a tiny white head that dissipates quickly with little lacing. Aroma is tomatoes(!), grass, squash, very vegetal. Flavor is the same, somewhat spicy - the horseradish I guess, vegetal. Not so bad initially, but the aftertaste is very unsettling, bitter, metallic and unpleasant. Medium body. Not my thing.