overall

RATINGS: 104   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 312   ABV: 10.4%
Goodnight Bodacious has the maltiness of a barleywine and the hoppiness of an India Pale Ale. A rich, hoppiness dominates the aroma, with earthy and loamy scents. A medium body presents big, bitter black barley and roasted coffee flavors, with subtle compliments of dark fruit and green hops. Strong alcohol flavors and pleasant warming qualities become more noticeable as the beer approaches room temperature.

574deadzone (1419) - North Central, Indiana, USA - FEB 26, 2013
Big thanks to a good buddy for scoring this for me. Pours completely black with a slowly forming toffee-mocha head that settles slowly leaving some soapy lace behind. Nose of deep dark chocolate, pine forest, resin, tropical fruit, very light roasted malt notes, maybe some molasses. Taste is initially pretty sweet but then quite bitter. Heavier bodied, full, slick, oily, viscous, creamy, bright with hoppiness, softer on the carb, with a very long hoppy and chocolaty bitter finish. This, to me, is the perfect Black IPA. The hops and malts mesh perfectly, and I love the combination of the dark chocolate flavors with the hoppy bitterness. Amazing.

DrSilverworm (9672) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 10, 2013
12oz bottle, huge thanks to umich03jm for hooking me up with my favorite style from one of my favorite breweries. Black, though not totally opaque color. Thin brown head, leaves good lace. Nose of earthy hops, roasted malts, and hints of chocolate. Nice coffee flavor up front, with big earthy hop character. Light spicy hop. Bitter taste, light hop burn in the finish, even. Wow. Great long hoppy earthy roasty aftertaste. Hint of grapefruit or some kind of fruity hop in here. Awesome amount of coffee, and bitter dark chocolate, and also an awesome amount of earthy piney citrusy spicy hop (in that order). Bigger body. Lighter, smooth carbonation, dry finish. Super-long roasty / hoppy aftertaste that I’m blessed with savoring. Big bitter taste, light spicy from the hops, minimal if any sweetness. Alcohol is not noticeable at all amidst the intense flavor. And yet despite that intensity, this is also intensely drinkable. It’s ... dangerously tasty. The lingering aftertaste keeps me reaching for it, a continual reminder of how good it is. This beer, I love it. It makes me happy. It’s exactly what I’m looking for in a black IPA. Best one I’ve had since Wookey Jack. Wow