RATINGS: 116   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• Aromatic earth tonic of the resinous picea and humulus lupulus
• Beer Type: Imperial pilsner brewed with Northern Michigan Blue Spruce needles and healthy doses of high alpha hops

Imperial India Spruce Pilsner is fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips and the quintessential symbol for Joe Short’s love of hops and craft beer. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

ogglethorp (917) - Ohio, USA - APR 10, 2008
Bottle. Pours a clear deep golden color with a soapy white head. Aroma is spruce, caramel, citrus, lemon, floral. Flavor is spruce, citrus, caramel, floral. Palate is medium to full bodied, medium carbonation, finished bitter and piney. Very unique brew, I thought it was great when cold, as it warmed more of the spruce flavor poked through and I didn’t like it as much. I gotta give em huge credit for pulling this off as well as they did, cuz this had disaster written all over it. Last one to finish their glass eats the pine cone in the bottom!!

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 31, 2008
Bottle shared by ogglethorp: Pours a clear gold with a white head. Aroma, smells like a freshly cut pine tree, like sawing off the end of the christmas tree and taking a nice whiff of the stump, there are some floral elements as well. Flavor, very floral and piny almost like a potpourri, some bready malts. It was very interesting, not something I could drink a whole 750 of on my own, but it’s a nice beer to share. Really unique.

joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2008
750ml #139 of 886 Recieved this bottle in a great trade with Hoppymeal, thanks a million Derek! Short’s Imperial Spruce India Pilsner pours like I’d expect of a pilsner (although not one that weighs in at 10%). Beautiful golden body with a glass full of large carbonation bubbles swirling and rushing to the surface. Every other Imperial Pilsner I’ve sampled has had some viscosity and you really noticed by the crawl of the carbonation. This on the other hand looks more like a standard pilsner. The dense head grew to three fingers on the pour and is cotton white. Falls to a finger plus at it’s lowest and leaves big chunky patches of lace. The smell of this beer is intense! I’m sure the flavor will be too. There’s a quick flash of biscuity malts upfront but the Blue Spruce neddles come fast and hard. Rosemary like at first but morphing into a glassful of Christmas tree. I’m not getting much in the hop department. Possibly some pine upfront but that’s most likely the Blue Spruce. Wait! As it warms there are some citric hop qualities that wave faintly in the background. A touch of earthiness rom the spruce needles. I can feel my sinus’ clear each time I inhale. Very interesting! The nose doesn’t lie! Just as intense on the tongue as in the nose. Slightly sweet biscuity malts flash through again but the spruce needles take over quickly. My mouth all at once becomes earth, resinous, and sappy like I’m chomping on a Christmas tree. The spruce rides roughshod over my tongue. There is more hoppiness than the smell led me to believe, but doesn’t show itself until the swallow. That hoppiness is lightly sweetened grapefruit and keeps the spruce from running away with things. I’m growing extremely fond of the bitterness the spruce needles leave in their path. Most Imperial Pilsners I’ve sampled in the past have had far too viscous bodies for the style. This has a medium body but the lively carbonation keeps it moving at a fast pace. I can’t imagine the mouthfeel being any better then what it is right now. This bottle is going down pretty easy but the flavors are so intense one bottle is all I could handle in a sitting. The bitterness does a number on your tastebuds too so be ready. I’ve been fortunate to have sampled three of Short’s beers, all thanks to Derek, and everyone of them has been excellent. This is one of the most unique beers I’ve encountered and would love to get my hands on some more spruce infused beers. 3/2/08

Matthew (2) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 2, 2008 does not count
750ml bottle. Pours into my tulip glass a clear burnt golden orange with a solid inch of frothy white rocky head. As the head slowly settles a solid ring of lace is left behind inside my glass. The nose is pronounced with unique aromas of piny spruce with a spearmint like quality. Hop aromas consisting of floral and very light citrus tones are apparent beneath the piny character along with a tinge of malt sweetness. The initial sip brings the big well defined spruce aroma found in the nose into my mouth. It almost seems as though I’m not tasting the big earthy/floral pine spruce quality as much as it just seems to overtake my mouth but not in an abrasive way. Hop bitterness coats my tongue while a bit of semi-sweet malt tries to poke through just before the dry finish completes my swallow. After each sip my nose and mouth seems to emanate spruce. The beer is unexpectingly fairly full bodied. with a good amount of prickly carbonation. How is this beer 10%abv? Its no where to be found. I’d assume that if this beer was fresher that there is a good possibility that the spruce and hop characteristics may be bigger and may take away from drinkability, but as this beer stands right now its pretty easy to drink and begs you to take another sip to taste what you haven’t tasted before in a beer, much like most shorts beers I have had the pleasure to try.

xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - FEB 20, 2008
Bottle sampled at "An evening with Pantanap #3" #93 of 886. Hazy gold/orange with large white head. Pine and sweet malt aroma. Pine burn in the flavor, with slight sweet wood. Creamy with big burn. I think I am allergic to pine and as soon as I started drinking this beer I started sneezing, it took away from the entire experience of the beer for me and I couldn’t finish it. It did however blow my mind again with the simple possibilties of what you can do with beer.

egajdzis (6672) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2008
Poured a clear amber color with a small, white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of spruce, pine, grass, and a bit of floral hops. Taste was dank, resinous, spruce, pine, citrus fruits, caramel, toasted malts, and a dry, alcohol finish.

hopdog (12816) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2008
750ml bottle acquired in trade with hoppymeal (thanks!). Bottle # 251 / 886. Poured a medium and hazy golden color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of spruce, grassy, and citrus. Tastes follow suit. LIght fruitiness as well. Definitely spruce in there!

holdenn (2116) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 4, 2008
Bottle Sampled at "An Evening with Pantanap #3". Thanks to Kan for this. Pours a hazy orange with an off white head. Citrus with all that pine and srpuce in the nose. Green flavors. Fresh pine, spruce. With a long bitter pine needle finish. Strange beer, I’d have to say they maybe over did it a notch or two. But an interesting one.

pantanap (3366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 3, 2008
bottle (didn’t quite jot down the # on this one). had at an evening w/ pantanap 3....this one was a real eye opener....poured a golden orange brown with a thin wispy white head...the nose was intense. pure spruce literally launched from the glass. if yo ulove the smell of xmas trees, you’ll certainly enjoy this....flavor-wise, the spruce played a huge role here as well. big on the spruce and pine with a litlle sweet honey malt that peeked through but was overshadowed by the spruce.....points for originality but i couldn’t have more that a few ounces of this stuff.

drewbeerme (3920) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 2, 2008
750ml bottle, bottled 5/07. sampled at "An evening with Pantanap #3", thanks kan for this odd brew. pours dense with big white head. nose is spruce! flavor spruce!, sap oak, hoppy, really sprucy. a bit too much spruce. like drinking parts of a christmas tree. odd, really odd, and interesting. just couldnt drink that much of it.