RATINGS: 116   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• Aromatic earth tonic of the resinous picea and humulus lupulus
• Beer Type: Imperial pilsner brewed with Northern Michigan Blue Spruce needles and healthy doses of high alpha hops

Imperial India Spruce Pilsner is fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips and the quintessential symbol for Joe Short’s love of hops and craft beer. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 22, 2008
GABF 2007. OK. I don’t know what’s going on here. This shiz is dope. Maybe it’s not as good in bottles as it was on tap. Maybe there’s a new batch that’s not as good as the first. Maybe it falls off A LOT when not sampled fresh. Maybe there’s something in the air in North Carolina that spoils it. Anyway, y’all betta recognize the Shorts Spruce. Toasted malts, spruce, and an underlay of grapefruit on the nose. If an aroma can have a texture, this would be "buttery." Honestly, this smells and (especially) tastes like pure spruce needle essence, surrounded by soft cracker malts (like an awesome lovechild of saltines and graham crackers). Hops and spruce in the finish 4-ev-R. Carbonation is perfect, biting at first and then gentle sussurations of sea foam. Bam. Yeah: bam.

dmschefke (583) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - JUL 3, 2012
Pours an orangish straw yellow with thick white head, decent lacing. Aroma obvious of citrus hops, spruce, herbal hops, resin, and grass. Flavor is overbearing with spruce, major medicinal character, and even a chemical nature. This just doesn’t work for me.

incutrav (577) - Woodbury, Minnesota, USA - JUL 14, 2008
I knew long before i ever cracked this 750 that i would love this beer. I love the smell of pine, i love hops, why would i not like this? I was correct, the spruce smell is amazing. Each sip coats your throat with pine resin, almost sap like, in a good way. The hops seemed to get overpowered for the most part, but the pine worked well so it didnt really matter. Slightly sweet, but its all about spruce, spruce and a little more spruce. If only a guy could find more spruce beers around, you would think more would do it with the hop situation like it is. Me likey!

StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 18, 2009
JCB popped this one at Pre-Sex, thanks man. Shorts is always doing something different, and this is no exception. Aroma is Winterfresh gum and nothing else. Flavor is not too different than the aroma, Winterfresh with some eucalyptus, pinecones, and just a trace of hops. I didn’t mind this at all in the small sample, not sure I could kill an entire bottle, but big thanks to Jason, I’ll take any Shorts I can get.

Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2008
Sampled at the Carolina Crew gathering in Greenville. Wow... a Christmas tree in a bottle. Aroma was dominated by the Christmas tree/spruce aroma. Somewhat astringent and very dominant spruce flavor. A bit too one-dimensional and tough to drink for my liking. Thanks to Paul for bringing this though - definitely a unique beer and worth trying.

joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - MAR 7, 2008
750ml #139 of 886 Recieved this bottle in a great trade with Hoppymeal, thanks a million Derek! Short’s Imperial Spruce India Pilsner pours like I’d expect of a pilsner (although not one that weighs in at 10%). Beautiful golden body with a glass full of large carbonation bubbles swirling and rushing to the surface. Every other Imperial Pilsner I’ve sampled has had some viscosity and you really noticed by the crawl of the carbonation. This on the other hand looks more like a standard pilsner. The dense head grew to three fingers on the pour and is cotton white. Falls to a finger plus at it’s lowest and leaves big chunky patches of lace. The smell of this beer is intense! I’m sure the flavor will be too. There’s a quick flash of biscuity malts upfront but the Blue Spruce neddles come fast and hard. Rosemary like at first but morphing into a glassful of Christmas tree. I’m not getting much in the hop department. Possibly some pine upfront but that’s most likely the Blue Spruce. Wait! As it warms there are some citric hop qualities that wave faintly in the background. A touch of earthiness rom the spruce needles. I can feel my sinus’ clear each time I inhale. Very interesting! The nose doesn’t lie! Just as intense on the tongue as in the nose. Slightly sweet biscuity malts flash through again but the spruce needles take over quickly. My mouth all at once becomes earth, resinous, and sappy like I’m chomping on a Christmas tree. The spruce rides roughshod over my tongue. There is more hoppiness than the smell led me to believe, but doesn’t show itself until the swallow. That hoppiness is lightly sweetened grapefruit and keeps the spruce from running away with things. I’m growing extremely fond of the bitterness the spruce needles leave in their path. Most Imperial Pilsners I’ve sampled in the past have had far too viscous bodies for the style. This has a medium body but the lively carbonation keeps it moving at a fast pace. I can’t imagine the mouthfeel being any better then what it is right now. This bottle is going down pretty easy but the flavors are so intense one bottle is all I could handle in a sitting. The bitterness does a number on your tastebuds too so be ready. I’ve been fortunate to have sampled three of Short’s beers, all thanks to Derek, and everyone of them has been excellent. This is one of the most unique beers I’ve encountered and would love to get my hands on some more spruce infused beers. 3/2/08

Jaksmart (456) - Aarhus, DENMARK - MAY 29, 2011
Bottle, courtesy of Enjoyit. Hazy orange, small white head. Aroma has tons of ginger, banana, rosemary, perfume, lavender, dishwasher-soap, some spruce maybe. Taste is very chemical with pine, more soap and more chemicals.

uhre (384) - DENMARK - OCT 11, 2008
Aroma of spruce. The beer is golden with a small head. Flavor of pines and perfume.

gruberm (358) - - AUG 17, 2013
Pilsner coloured with a slight green tinge. Smells of pine. Taste of earthy pine. Eeeeehhhhh. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

darb85 (303) - Canton, Michigan, USA - AUG 11, 2016
Fresh aroma, mostly hops. But smells great. Pale yellow very clear. No head. Pine leads heavy with cedar finish pine sap present in finish. A bit thin.