RATINGS: 116   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
• Aromatic earth tonic of the resinous picea and humulus lupulus
• Beer Type: Imperial pilsner brewed with Northern Michigan Blue Spruce needles and healthy doses of high alpha hops

Imperial India Spruce Pilsner is fermented with local, hand-picked blue spruce tips and the quintessential symbol for Joe Short’s love of hops and craft beer. The spruce presence, rooted in historical brewing practices, is enormous and gives the beer a refreshing gin quality. This beer is impressively light bodied, considering the immense spruce flavors and the prodigious additions of hops.

StefanSD (2451) - Ouray, Colorado, USA - SEP 17, 2010
12 zo bottle courtesy of hopburp. Thanks Mario. Pours a slightly hazy brass color with a small white head that slowly recedes to a fine film. The aroma is distinct with pine, chlorophyll and perfume. The flavor is similar to the nose, loads of green chlorophyll, fresh pine and biter pine resin. The palate is smooth and full with lively carbonation. The finish is long and dry with lingering pine. Overall: Lots of big bold experimental flavors, I dig it.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Dark amber, creamy white head. Blasts of evergreen and spruce aromas rest on swirls of citrus and wet pine needles. Flavor is a bitter sappy spruce bite from beginning to end. Did I just drink a tree? Medium bodied, soft carbonation, bitter finish. Thumbs up for being unique. I like it, but don’t know how often I could drink it…

holdenn (2116) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 4, 2008
Bottle Sampled at "An Evening with Pantanap #3". Thanks to Kan for this. Pours a hazy orange with an off white head. Citrus with all that pine and srpuce in the nose. Green flavors. Fresh pine, spruce. With a long bitter pine needle finish. Strange beer, I’d have to say they maybe over did it a notch or two. But an interesting one.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAR 31, 2008
Bottle shared by ogglethorp: Pours a clear gold with a white head. Aroma, smells like a freshly cut pine tree, like sawing off the end of the christmas tree and taking a nice whiff of the stump, there are some floral elements as well. Flavor, very floral and piny almost like a potpourri, some bready malts. It was very interesting, not something I could drink a whole 750 of on my own, but it’s a nice beer to share. Really unique.

Styles (2014) - Lincoln Park, Michigan, USA - MAY 17, 2008
Courtesy of MikeMac. Hazy/cloudy orange, huge white head, great lacing. Huge pine/spruce resin, literally smells like a fresh x-mas tree. Decent citrus character, not much for malt in aroma. Flavor again, huge pine/spruce, tastes like there are needles in the glass. Needles add a certain freshness character that’s hard to describe. Very resinous and sticky. As it warms caramel comes through a bit, helps to balance. Sort of 1 dimensional, but I dig it.

tomthompson89 (1982) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 19, 2009
Bottle thanx to North york sammy. nose is amazing spruce pine and hops, a bit of booze in there but well well hidden. nice poam golden color not filtered. flavor is greatly balanced the spruce goes through on the finish and hops and a little sweetness take care of the rest so so interesting. great beer.

GAManiac (1944) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 13, 2009
Big thanks to Randy for passing along this rarity, shared with the usual suspects at the Brick Store. Pours a light clear golden amber with a creamy off-white head that recedes to a collar pretty quickly and leaves very little lacing. The aroma is seriously fragrant and jumped out of the bottle. It’s dominated by the spruce and pine with some grassy notes and only a hint of the underlying malts. Plenty of similarities to this aroma and that of gin. The taste is even more intense. I have to imagine this is the closest I’ll get to drinking straight spruce sap. There is some juniper and grassy hops as well, but the hops have faded to the point that the spruce steals the show completely. I’d mentioned the underlying malts but I’m not sure I could really taste them. Them mouthfeel is definitely on the fuller side of things and pretty thick and sticky on the palate. Well, being a lover of pine hops, I was really looking forward to this one and it absolutely delivered the goods. It’s certainly intense and probably a little over-the-top, but since it’s intensity is focused on something I enjoy so much, I’ve got no other option but to love this beer. Thank you Shorts!

SuperDave (1932) - Beautiful Sunny Mesa, Arizona, USA - JAN 15, 2011
Hazy orange gold pour with a bit of foamy head. Aroma is loads of pine with spicy hops and sweet malt. Flavor is bitter and spicy, lots of resin coming through, and some malt sweetness. Interesting brew.

wetherel (1888) - Cupertino, California, USA - SEP 8, 2007
Taste from a bomber tried at Lost Abbey Brunch with awaisanen, cquiroga, Tomme, Sage and others. I think awaisanen brought it: Thanks Andy! I can’t believe I’m the first to rate this phenominal brew. Wow, what an aroma. It’s like sticking your finger in pine sap, then picking your nose. It’s a wonderful powerful Spruce aroma. Creamy full head that dies slowly. Pale, slightly cloudy yellow color. Nice pleasant bitterness and leans toward the sweeter side. A bottle of pure fun!

tjthresh (1875) - Greenfield, Indiana, USA - FEB 9, 2009
Some body had a bottle at the Sexual Chocolate pre party. This think smells like Vicks Vapo Rub, and Tasted like Halls. Not Something that I really want to taste in my beers. Let me just say it was interesting, for I’m sure that this is exactly what the brewer was going for. I mean sometimes you have to consider the source, and Its my understanding that Shorts has a rep for doing things like this.