overall
RATINGS: 240   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.07/5   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 14   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
A gentle mixture of elegance and redolence for any occasion.
Northern Michigan spiced wheat ale. A 50% mixture of premium two-row malted barley and malted white wheat makes golden wheat ale balanced with Ahtanum and Cascade hop varieties. This ale is spiced with fresh grated lemon and orange rind, coriander, and black peppercorns. It’s truly a fermented wonder of the Short’s Brew formula family.

jrsenkbe (23) - USA - SEP 24, 2010
Great Beer. The peppercorns add a nice spice to the beer. This is one of my favorite beers, the lemon adds a nice refreshing taste and off sets the coriander after taste.

detroiter (958) - Euphoria, Minnesota, USA - JAN 27, 2007
I’ll start with the aroma this time. As soon as I twisted the cap, I could smell the black pepper. And some lemon. Inhaling deeply, the pepper tickled the nose. Some slight breadiness and yeastiness to go along with the pepper and lemon. Very unique, very pleasant. Pours a hazy yellow-gold, with an inch of acid-white head. The foam dissipates completely very quickly and leaves minimal lace. The beer itself remains perfectly carbonated. Tons of pepper and lemon in the initial sip. And in all the subsequent sips. I know there’s coriander and orange in there too, but really, the lemon pepper predominates. The lemon grows stronger midway through each sip, and then it backs down again only to finish dry with some fire from the pepper. Light body with a strong pepper aftertaste.

Rogueone (506) - I F&ckin’ hate those guys from, Ohio, USA - MAY 19, 2008
Multiple samples @ WBE: This beer was badass. Pours like a dirty banana. Smells of citrus, and black spice. A very unique flavor, this tastes of citrus fruit, yeast, and fresh black peppercorns, with black pepper finishing on palate. I can see this beer being a perfect compliment to summer fare. Best wheat ale I have ever had, but be warned that you must be a black pepper lover to attempt to enjoy this. I literally was burping up straight pepper all afternoon. Unique and fantastic.

mgatesy (23) - Michigan, USA - SEP 13, 2010
My favorite wheat beer of all time. I love the strong lemon flavor and spicy peppercorn aftertaste.

mensch (289) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - SEP 26, 2011
If you don’t like MORE FLAVOR, don’t drink Shorts. This is one of the best spiced wheat beers I’ve ever encountered. Pale yellow and fizzy, just a little cloudiness, very deceptive. First aroma is the coriander, then the citrus, my mind turns to - winter holiday. Flavors start with lemon drops, then lemon grass, then lemon sour. Refeshing for a hot summer day. Rich candied malt on the tongue. And it’s NOT overcarbonated like other wheat beers, so you can actually taste it. I’d pay big money for a double version.

RyanMM (416) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 19, 2010
Pours slightly hazy, orange-tinged gold with a moderate white head. Nose is wheat, citrus, and a hint of pepper. Mouthfeel is medium on the thin side, creamy, low carbonation, lots of orange on the palate. A little sweetness, a little bitter balancing out the finish with just a speck of pepper. Really easy drinking and smooth, this could be a great front-porch sipper if served a bit colder than cellar temp. This is probably the first thing I’ve had from Short’s that really does anything for me. Really solid beer.