RATINGS: 398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Series   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
2014 Beer Camp Across America Release.

As ever, San Diego’s Ballast Point looked to the sea for the inspiration behind Electric Ray. A play on the fish’s scientific name—Torpedo californica—this beer pays homage to our mutual home state, as well as to our Hop Torpedo, the source of much of the big flavor in this high voltage, hop-forward Imperial Pale Lager.

Ballast Point brought their homebrewing dreams to the big leagues and started brewing professionally, but they never forgot their roots. They still run a successful homebrewing supply shop in San Diego. A love for hops and the ocean inspire incredible brewed and distilled offerings, and their one-of-a-kind labels boast some beautiful, and sometimes gnarly-lookin’, fish.

Jayb0 (1223) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - NOV 26, 2014
I liked this but not as much as others I’ve tried in this style. Compared to DFH My Antonia and Rogues Morimoto, I thought this was maybe a little syrupy and lacking the crisper, dryer finish. Maybe just a little too high in ABV. But still quite good, nice bright hops aroma, great hop flavor, slight;y resiney and satisfying.

Strykzone (7854) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - NOV 25, 2014
12 ounce bottle from Hayduke that we had together via facebook chat. This beer is almost clear golden and has a decent white head. The foam never completely left. A hugely hopped aroma is fruity. As I look at the ABV I wonder if this is an imperial IPL? Is that a style? Maybe it will be soon. Flavors are almost all hop based. Fruit out the wazoo. If I had a wazoo hops would be coming out of it. Tropical fruit with some citrus and some floral. Ron called it grapefruit zest and he might be right. Something bringing dry bitterness with some mint like breathiness. The feel was oily and I found myself smacking my lips and mouth from it. This was completely different from anything I have had before and it challenged my taste buds in ways that I loved. When I grow up I want to go to Beer Camp! If I ever grow up.

hayduke (5751) - Eureka, California, USA - NOV 25, 2014
Shared with Strykzone on Facebook Chat. Poured dark gold. Big long lasting white head. Thick lacing. Nose of ripe fruit and some floral hops. Medium plus bod and a very smooth creamy mouth feel. The flavor is tropical fruit, citrus and floral hops, and light bitterness. The finish is very flavorful with a hint of what seems like grapefruit zest. A tiny bit of alcohol was tasted early but faded into the rich flavors. This is a very nice beer.

gpekar (497) - Florida, USA - NOV 25, 2014
Poured a clear orange amber with about a 1 inch foamy off-white head. There was a light amount of carbonation bubbles rising up in the glass. Surprisingly the aroma was not that strong. There was a hint of citrus/grapefruit along with some caramel malt sweetness. The beer had a nice creamy texture. There was a big caramel sweetness up front followed by a blending citrus flavor. A big hops bitterness began building well into the finish. The head left a little bit of lacing thru the glass.

JHeath99 (1680) - Warner Robins, Georgia, USA - NOV 15, 2014
Bottle thanks to sonnycheeba. Transparent golden with cream colored head. Aroma and taste of hops and malts.

bnokk (548) - Lee, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 12, 2014
APPEARANCE - light golden color. Bright, white, fluffy head dissipating quickly. NOSE - Stronger hop than expected for an IPL. FLAVOR - Strong lager flavor comes through from beginning to end. English style hops come through strongly. NOTES - The flavor of the alcohol comes through more than expected. The earthly & herbal flavor is strong.

jmagnus87 (3302) - Rockford, Illinois, USA - NOV 12, 2014
Bottle poured into a shaker. Pours an almost clear medium orange with a half finger of slightly off-white head. Aroma is huge citrus hops. Taste is medium bitter, follows aroma with huge citrus and tropical notes. Getting a whole bunch of grapefruit and a hint of pine. Medium bodied with a very slightly sticky texture. Lively carbonation and a super long finish. Pretty darn good, probably one of the best IPLs I’ve tried.

chickenflea (351) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2014
Thought I’d dig this one more after having the Sam Adams IPL. But I do not like this as much. Bitterness is over the top. It borders on harshness. A little malty. The have a lot of grapefruit. But mixed with floral, the combination is too intense. With certain pairings the beer tastes better. I happened to be having a cheesy chicken casserole, and the beer was significantly sweeter and more enjoyable. The beer is well made (obviously), but for my palate it does not work that well.

csaso (2369) - Missouri, USA - OCT 31, 2014
Bottle - average size foamy head, slightly hazy light copper color, big grapefruit hop aroma an flavor, mild biscuity malt backbone, good overall ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

PattyBat (84) - - OCT 31, 2014
Bottle poured into snifter. A hazy orange body with a soft white head that hangs around for a bit. Faint aroma of some tropical fruit, then a strong lager smell. Lagers have such a distinct smell, especially when you grow up around Yuengling. Palate is hit at first with a pleasant fruitiness, then hit with the lager portion. The tropical nature of the first impact is enough to get past the lager portion. Overall a nice lager, but I would not race back to this one.