overall
RATINGS: 3309   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Finishing Hops:Cascade & Centennial
Dry Hops:Centennial, Cascade & Chinook
Bittering Hops: Chinook
Ending Gravity:6.0 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 22, 2005
2005 Batch. Pure, fresh, barleywine. Perfect deep burgundy in color with a large, creamy and dense head of light tan foam. Nose of hops mainly (resin, grapefruit, pine, flowers) with a touch of caramel and dried fruits. Rich, chewy malts and a gigantic hop explosion. Pretty much exactly what I want in a barleywine. Big honey covered fruit flavors, caramel and hops, hops, hops. Quite honestly, this is pretty much a session beer for me when it is around, especially when it is 10 bucks a 6’er. Each yeah is consistently great and it ages superbly as well.

thefatmanrocks (22) - California, USA - FEB 22, 2005
2005 This was great. I love the barley wine and this one is excellent. Great color, smooth tasty lots of hops.

WisconsinBeer (716) - St. Paul, Minnesota, USA - FEB 22, 2005
2005. Tons of malts to begin followed by a thick spicy hops aftertaste. Somewhat creamy on the palate. Finishes with a nice alcohol warmness. Lots of strong flavors balance nicely. This is good now but I am still going to throw a few bottles in the cellar.

HighlanderOne (1344) - York, SC via NJ, South Carolina, USA - FEB 21, 2005
Very pleasant hop aroma. Good looking. Creamy head and very dark for an ale - almost the color of the bottle. Hops dominate the flavor, also some wood tones in there. Flavor lingers for a while in the aftertaste. Also mellows as it gets warmer. Alcohol is barely noticable. A nice surprise pick-up.

kms399 (267) - plymouth, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2005
pours a cloudy brown with little to no head. plenty of lacing. bitter hoppes up front followed by a slight sweetness developing a taste for barley wines

highalphafan (18) - albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - FEB 21, 2005
2005. Without side-by-side comparison, appears darker than last year’s. Aroma of pine trees with your nose against the sweet sap. Standard full body lingering on the tongue warm as rum (well almost). Same ultra-bitter and very dry Bigfoot as always. Drinkable right away and yet one will still find itself sitting side by side with the last few previous years I’ve managed not to touch in my beer fridge. Very happy.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - FEB 21, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 17, 2007 This is from the 2005 Bigfoot Expedition, cap-wise. My first beer sampled in a bulbous "open-top" stemmed glass, over my typical tumbler/shaker-style hybrid glass, but probably didn’t make much difference. The lacing this one left was thick and gooey and nearly in a sheet. My aroma-sensor is quite stunted, so I rate this based on the mist sniffed out of the unpoured bottle. Nicely bitter on entry and mid-palate, solid body, really creamy. Really. Creamy. A Big Beer without question. Delightfully balanced. I put this somewhere between 8.5 and 9 out of 10. Were it the IMDb and I could only do whole numbers, would I be a hard-ass and withhold the 9 on this one? I . . . don’t know.

RedEft (155) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 20, 2005
From a bottle, in a chilled glass: Dark reddish-brown with a tannish head. Very fragrant....hops, fruit, rose. Starts off malt, then turns caustic hoppy (which I love) but finishes with an unbearable cardamom-like aftertaste. This was like drinking perfume. Disgusting. I actually took my glass back to the bar and traded it in for a Quilmes, seriously! I’m baffled by the high reviews here. Maybe I got a bad bottle or maybe had a bad food combination, but this stuff was wretched.

jus10cider82 (67) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - FEB 20, 2005
(12 oz bottle) Pours a beautiful light ruby with a frothy short head. Strong hop and citrus nose. Malt, berry, hops, pine and citrus flavors work well together. This is my first barley wine and gives me hope for the rest of them.

joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 19, 2005
Yummy! Great mahogony pour, nice head, sweet and hoppy aroma, bitter up front, fading to a nice sugary finish, and a long bitter aftertaste. Awesome. Steve says that this beer is great all around, it makes him want to run through the woods naked in search of the real Bigfooot.