overall
RATINGS: 3400   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Finishing Hops:Cascade & Centennial
Dry Hops:Centennial, Cascade & Chinook
Bittering Hops: Chinook
Ending Gravity:6.0 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

ericb1980 (2) - orlando, Florida, USA - APR 4, 2004 does not count
Wonderful! I was not sure what to make of this one, I picked it up in a 6 pack relatively cheap. Pours a very dark amber/redish color with a pale, light head that subsided quickly. The high content is well masked. This is one I will be picking up again for sure.

SpeedwayJohnny (18) - Florida, USA - APR 3, 2004
This beer best exemplifies the relationship between hops and hemp! It smells like green pot (and grapefruit!). Nice balance, with enough malt backbone to partially tame those hops. Brown color, with some head (which mostly disappears). Quite a drinking experience, and all "hop-heads" should seek it out. I like all of their brews, and this is one of their best.

tobias (208) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAR 31, 2004
strong aroma of pine and malt. tatses very sweet and syrupy with a refreshing hop aftertaste. very nice color and head but poor retention. very tasty!

jeffin7 (613) - Silver Spring, Maryland, USA - MAR 31, 2004
Aroma of hops and maple syrup. Flavor is of piney hops with a little bit of citrusy hops, roasted nuts, and a bit of syrupy sweetness that is balanced by a big bitter aftertaste.

KCKajr (15) - Kansas City, Kansas, USA - MAR 31, 2004
Hops, hops, and more hops! Zoinks. Earthy aroma, followed by a heavy flower-like taste. The high ABV adds a subtle fire to your belly that you don't even realize is there at first. Enjoyable and definitely interesting. Bigfoot is too overpowering for me to go back to regularly but it'll be a fun occasional treat.

JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - MAR 30, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 6, 2007 2004 edition. Big, cranberry-brown body with a very large head of miniature cream bubbles. Smells of rich dark fruit malts and slight lemony hops. Huge, thick flavor and mouthfeel, complex and slow to develop. Starts fruity sweet, spicy and has a big hop kick. Everything seems very refined an well executed, something I say rarely about a beer. This is quality. **Had 2007 version and was disappointed. This is not a Barleywine. Instead an over zealously hopped double-IPA. Why do Californian breweries feel the need to over hop every style?

dahatherley (35) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAR 30, 2004
Bottle--2004 Expedition. Dark brown body with reddish-purple tint. Tan head. Great beer with sweet malts and plenty of hops. I don't understand how others think this is a bad thing. The IPA-like character of this beer only makes it better.

soulrefugee (46) - Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2004
Classy, well brewed, but misnamed it seems to me. I agree with a rater from London England - its more like an IPA. A friend of mine, who loves the bitter hops taste would love it, but its too much for me. The malt is there, but overwhelmed by the hops. At night after work in a tavern out in the English countryside I had barleywine when I was over there in '91. I enjoyed its semi-sweet (not bitter) rich malty taste and high-alcohol kick. This Bigfoot, although well made, doesn't remind me of what I had over in UK at all. Because I think that its high quality, I would recommend it to those enjoy that hops taste.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - MAR 25, 2004
Copper with an off-white head. Aroma citrus, a bit of malt,nutty. Flavor is sweet, and slightly bitter. A very enjoyable drink.

Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAR 25, 2004
Bitter from the start, but I did not detect any pine at all. Nice lacing on the glass and decent semi-brown head, that lasts for a while. Finishes off semi-sweet, and has a great flavor with a wonderful warming effect on the way down.