overall
RATINGS: 3426   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.75/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale represents a time honored tradition of brewing a special beer for the holiday season. There are generous portions of barley malts and fine whole hops of several varieties, creating a brew with a full, rich and hearty character.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2007 This is a little big for an IPA. Never disappoints. High alpha on the hop side, yet smooth and drinkable in spite of it. This should be the hophead’s everyday beer. UPDATE: Just had a bottle of Celebration from 1987 at the 2004 Crescent Moon Vintage Beer Tasting. It was flat and had lost that lovin’ feelin. Think before you try to age this one for 17 years. UPDATE: Just tried the 2004 tap version of Celebration. The hop bitterness is very pronounced, but the body seems a little light this year. UPDATE 2006: Quite hoppy and back to its thick palate, but I’ve been spoiled by too many awesome IPA’s at this point. It is no longer a 4.2 rating for me.

axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 4, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 This is my favorite session beer!! Pours a clear copper color with a fluffy white head. The Nose and flavor are very piney with a bit of a citrusy hop taste. Fresh grapefruits in the finish. Re-rate 5/25/06 I’m gonna have to go and boost this rating up some. I recently went to Eulogy in Philly and saw an 96’ on the menu and of coarse, ordered it. The waitress brought me an 01’ which I caught before it hit the table. She apologized and told me that they were out of 96’ and was told by the manger to give me this one on the house. This beer had aged so well that I really felt that it blew FFF IIPA (which I gave a 5) out of the water. I can’t give this a full five because I’ve only had the one that was this good, but this still was one of the best beers I’ve had.

hershiser2 (3533) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2004 2004 Edition: didn’t care for the 2003 edition as much as I like the 2004 edition... maybe my tastes have changed, or something. Beautiful deep orange color, nice fargin’ head. Smells of lovely hops, grapefruit, and pine. Tastes luscious this year... 2003 edition. Paid $7.99 for a 6-pack. Great appearance: beautiful burnt orange color, with a huge, fluffy head, that retains well and laces nicely. Absolutely gorgeous!! Wonderful citrus (grapefruit) scented ipa... mmm, looking forward to tasting this. Edited: OK, so I finally finished my 6 of this, and I have to say, I really didn’t enjoy this beer much at all. I don’t see why there’s so much hype about it. It’s funky bitter, and leaves an almost unbearable aftertaste in my mouth. Love IPAs, but not this one.

awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Excellent seasonal beer. Pours a deep amberish red and has that great hoppy smell to greet you at first smell. Would recommend letting this one warm atad in the glass and then drinking it.

SpringsLicker (3660) - Tennessee, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Thanks Rate Beer! I would have tried this ages ago, but I avoided it thinking it was some spiced up winter beer. Then I found Rate Beer and it said it was an IPA! And a very nice IPA too! This has a beautiful hazy amber color that supports a fine thick head. The aroma an flavor are well balanced providing hops and malt in abundance. Smooth with a lingering finish. I'll have another one.

HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - JAN 29, 2004
This is one of the best examples of an American IPA. Nice and hoppy and with enough malt to back it up. The fact that its seasonal only adds to its appeal. Although I like all of SN's beers, this is the only one that I seek out and buy consistently.

AleDrinker (1089) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - JAN 27, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 25, 2005 I’m not a big fan of this beer. It was a bit too spicy for my tastes. Good head, good mouthfeel, good hops, good malt, but too much damn spice. 3.2 Sampled again at clogs in corvallis on tap. Wow. This shiite is very good. Tons of solid citrus hop flavor and aroma. Plenty of body and alky to boot. 4.0

Jon123 (36) - Emmaus, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 26, 2004
The bottle pours a deep amber color that produces a thick head. This thick head generates a heavy lacing as the glass empties. The beer starts off well but finishes too smooth for me. I like a nice kick and generous "mouth-feel" for the finish.

HopsOrDie (687) - New Lenox, Illinois, USA - JAN 25, 2004
Copper colored with high carbonation. Piney nose. The taste is strong with Chinook hops and bitter aftertaste. A little too out of balance for my tastes.

Alcoholist (570) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JAN 23, 2004
Coppery color big head redducing to a nice lace. Nose is citrus with some pine. Flavor is full and hoppy with a bitter finish that stays around for a while.