overall
RATINGS: 848   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   IBU: 67   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Our handmade Estate Ale highlights the flavors of home. From the sun-drenched fields of California’s North Valley comes our Estate Ale. It’s rich with the flavors of the valley—hops with earthy, grapefruit-like flavors and layered spicy aromas, and barley with mild sweetness and smooth, toasted flavors. Enjoy this remarkable homegrown ale, made with organic wet hops and barley grown at our brewery in Chico, and one of the few estate-made ales produced anywhere in the world. Together, these crops grow alongside the brewery to make a truly unique brew.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - SEP 11, 2009
Light orange copper color with a tallish manila folder colored head. Heavy sheet of lace. Big pine and citric aromas. Ever so slight hint of dark caramel. Earthy malt and hops in the flavors. Actually quite sweet, but enough bitterness to balance. Some phenols in the middle. Biting pine and grapefruit in the linger. Strong bitter, hoppy flavors. I appreciate the effort, but I’m not to keen on the expenditure.

Opivy44 (14) - Novato, California, USA - SEP 7, 2009
KING OF BEERS!!!! I was a little shocked to hear that a 24 oz of this stuff was going for $9.99 @ BEVMO... but I had to take a test drive! I’ve been waiting a while to taste this one. Wow! It pours a rich coppery color with a perfect head. Hop flavor... Yep it’s there and a whole lot more! Flavor hits well with a balace of the different malts! Well done Sierra Nevada! I think I have my favorite brew... as long as I save money for the weekend or if I don’t have any Pliny the Elder stocked in my freg

trevor211 (1681) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 29, 2009
Snifter at Brouwer’s Hopfest ’09. Pours a murky copper with a mid-sized dense head. Lots of hops, but this one is incredibly well-balanced. Resiny hops on the nose, balanced but not overshadowed by caramel malts. Big mouthfeel, maybe just a tad stale. Really nice, though.

sunevdj (4087) - Copenhagen OE, DENMARK - AUG 26, 2009
Bottle at Chris’ grill party. Pours a clear light amber with a small head. Tiny chunks. Light sweetness. With a moderate bitterness. Citric hoppy aromas with hints of resin. Has a light alcohol touch. Medium bodied with a slightly oily texture. Medium carbonation. Bitter and dry finish.

Ughsmash (7508) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 24, 2009
24oz bottle, 2008 vintage. Poured hazy reddish-orange with a creamy, sticky cap of off-white head. The aroma picked up biscuit, caramel, and grapefruit meat sweetness with earth and resiny pine hoppage surrounding.. definitely lost some of its hop profile with age. The flavor had caramel and biscuit sweetness (more of the biscuits) at the core.. earth, grapefruit, and pine bitterness around, and it increased as the brew warmed up.. sticky-sweet malts, resiny bitterness, and mild oxidation on the finish. Medium-bodied and well-carbonated on the palate.. OK flow, but the emerging cardboardey oxidation tackied it up a bit on the back.

mar (5415) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 16, 2009
bottle thanks to ericandersnavy. amber with a cream head. nose is not as citrusy/grapefruity as i’d hope for honestly. nice thickness but the hops aren’t jumping like they should be.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAY 16, 2009
Don’t know if this was the precursor to SN’s ESB or not but either way it was really, really good. Aroma was full of classic pine, hop resin and citrus/grapefruit zest really showed up as well. A subtle sweet aroma, reminded me a bit of toffee. Flavor has the intense, fresh hop flavor like chewing on a cascade hop pellet. Spicy and citrusy, with enough malt character to keep things in check. What ever SN is doing, hope they can keep it up!

chandler0201 (650) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 14, 2009
Copper pour with small white head. Some citrus in the aroma and flavor with hops, finishes rather bitter but watery. Honestly could not tell if it was a pale ale or IPA, it really was that watered down.

mnurda (1285) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 30, 2009
On tap at Rich O’s public house. Was a bit ill when I tried it, so my experience was marred. But I quite liked this one. Great hop taste with the right amoutn of maltiness.

blipp (9268) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAR 16, 2009
Draft. Pours amber orange with a lasting khaki head. Sweet hoppy aroma, resinous, piny and citric. The flavor has a load of hops, seemed a bit astringent to me, with notes of floral and pine. Pretty good.