overall
RATINGS: 1734   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.93/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 312   ABV: 10.4%
A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp (#19) brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put- Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped and torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Hops, hops and more hops are the stars of this big, whole-cone Imperial IPA. Resinous ‘new-school’ and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar and tropical fruit – all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Beer specs:
Torpedo Hops: Citra & Chinook
Malts: Two-row Pale, Golden Promise, Munich & Wheat
Yeast: Ale

Bricks (1149) - Delaware, USA - JUL 14, 2012
Dark brown, tan appearance with a good foaming off-white head. Probably one of the best aromas from a beer I’ve ever experienced. Just the right formula of flower, citrus, earth and hops, wow. Taste is just as good, I’m not sure I can ever give a 10 for a high IBU IPA, but it’s great there too. Nice, thick, mouthfeel, but not overly syrupy. Like I stated, it is fairly bitter and the bitterness does wear on you. This is a great beer, though.

crazyvin (2026) - New York, USA - JUL 14, 2012
A nice orange-amber body with a white head that had some retention, but nice lace. Aroma had a strong pine presence. A nice floral and citrusquality to it too. Nice caramel malts. Initial flavor had a nice hop assertiveness to it. Mostly pine hops, but a slight floral hop flavor. The Malts were sweet enough to cut through the hop bitterness with out compromising the hops. Finish was nice and dry. 10.4%.....could have fooled me, this is well hidden. Really good beer.

Markm2151 (280) - toledo, USA - JUL 14, 2012
Very classic American ipa. Lots of citrus and floral on the nose, lots of rich malts on the palate with a solid hop prpfile

pumpmaster (1430) - Pembroke Pines, Florida, USA - JUL 14, 2012
Sampler from 12 ounce bottle at Total Wine Plantation, FL opening. Very good!

obxdude10 (2369) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 14, 2012
Hoptimum is what being a beer enthusiast is all about. Hoptimum defines the search for and the tasting of new beer. This is about as good of a beer as you’re gonna get. I’m not talking just double IPA’s; I’m talking about any style or brand of beer. The only reason why Hoptimum doesn’t get a perfect 5.0 score from me because of itself. In my opinion, a 5.0 score would mean that my quest for that one, perfect beer would be over. If the search had ended, I would not have tried the last 1500 beers that I’ve had. So I’m not ready for the search to end quite yet, and I keep pressing on. For the good of the human race. Enough of that, and on to the Hoptimum. One of THE best damn beers I’ve ever tasted pours a very dark golden color, with a bit of an amber hue. The off-white head is ample, soft and sticky and leaves a beautiful, cascading lace around the sides of the glass. The nose is full of spicy, dry and floral hops, with some hints of grapefruit and lemon. The body is creamy, smooth and incredible drinkable. The high alcohol content is masked extremely well, with the exception of a subtle taste of whiskey at the very back end of the aftertaste. The flavors are remarkably delicious, with a smack-you-in-the-face, truck-load of hops. I think the brewers just squeezed the juices out of the hop cones and poured them right into the bottle. The flavors are dry, spicy, fruity and sticky, with a ton of hop resin lining my entire mouth. The aftertaste leaves some spicy, dry and piney notes on my tongue and affords me no time to waste for my next sip. This four-pack will surely be gone in the next hour. I cannot stop picking up my glass. It has taken me almost a half hour just write this review. Typing with one hand is not as efficient. The English language has yet to come up with a word to that could fully describe this beer. It is THAT good.

BadAprilia1000 (437) - Sevierville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 13, 2012
2012. Pour looks nothing special, very little head. Aroma is quite interesting, obviously hoppy, but an almost syrupy sweet note as well. Some citrus, grapefruit predominately, mayble a bit of cedar as well. Taste is a stronger version of the aroma, starts with sweet citrus fruit followed by a crisp hoppiness which turns into a sweet, thick finish of the body of the beer. Very good, would never know its 10.4%

robcarter (2) - savannah, Georgia, USA - JUL 12, 2012 does not count
It has a Strong hop flavor full body beer. It bost a strong front with a clean after taste.

beerdad (397) - Kansas, USA - JUL 12, 2012
bottled. pours gold with a large off white head. aromas of pine, grapefruit, resinous hops and caramel. pine dominates. alcohol not overwhelming but seem to cause an interesting change in hop flavor. too much carbonation. finishes as most hoppy beer do with pine/spruce bitterness. decent beer.

Sarpa (1649) - FINLAND - JUL 12, 2012
355ml [email protected] pours clear deep golden with a white head. aroma of massive hops, caramel. flavor of hops, resin, quite bitter

olio (10546) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUL 12, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 14, 2013 355 ml bottle @ Hotel room, Portland.
Pours clear dark golden color with minimal head. Aroma has pine needles, resin, caramel, lots of hops, some fruits and grass. Flavor of hops, fruits, caramel, resin and goose berry notes. Thick fruity palate with bitter dryish finish.