overall
RATINGS: 1458   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Narwhal Imperial Stout is the latest beer in Sierra Nevada’s High Altitude Series. This malt-forward monster is bold – with notes of baker’s cocoa, molasses, and dark roasted coffee. This massive imperial stout is incredibly complex, rich, and intense and will develop in the bottle for years to come.

Style: Imperial Stout
Hops: Magnum, Challenger
Malts: Two Row Pale, Chocolate, Honey, Carafa, Roasted Barley

Availability: 12 oz bottles, Draft
Arrival: October, 2012

bwyu (62) - - NOV 16, 2013
Roast with lots of coffee dark chocolate. Nice hop bitterness to balance the richness

Jrwhitney6 (505) - - NOV 16, 2013
Had better imperial stouts. Pours black with hints of a brown head that never really forms, and quickly goes away. Some roasted malts on the nose - but it is faint. I am not getting the multiple tastes that others are - for me, this is roasted malt, some bitterness, and some booze. Maybe there is some bitter coffee, but this does not have the range of flavors in other imperial stouts. I do like the mouthfeel - it has a chewy quality to it. Overall, it's fine - just not great. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

skoisirius (1908) - Earth, Washington, USA - NOV 16, 2013
I’m currently rating every SN brew I’ve ever had in one clean sweep. I grew up on the classic SN Pale having it around during high school, and since have watched SN grow into a national representation of incredible craft beer. Living 45 mins away is a treat for the random growler fill. Keep up the amazing work and thanks!

thorongil2 (3427) - , Ontario, CANADA - NOV 15, 2013
(tap) clear very dark colour with a small brown head; aromas of roast, smoked fruit; rich and balanced flavour, slightly thick palate

bierenjoyer1 (153) - Illinois, USA - NOV 15, 2013
Smells of unsweetened chocolate, some coffee, roasted barley and malts. Pours dark brown with a thin rich medium brown foam which laces nicely. Same as my aroma observation but a nice lingering of unsweetened chocolate and roasted malts and coffee. I really like this beer and will buy it again. Bottle serving from Binny’s.

Jimsal27 (296) - New York, USA - NOV 13, 2013
Bottle to glass. Pours deep brown to black. Nice creamy tan head. Strong aromas of coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Taste falls a little short. Bland up front followed by nice bitter finish good mouthfeel and carbonation.

TheLevi4000 (77) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - NOV 12, 2013
I don’t know. I thought this was going to be better. It’s OK I was expecting more flavor. Kinda bland, where is the coffee, chocolate, caramel? I didn’t taste bad, just lacked a definitive flavor profile other then a %10 ABV beer.

Nuffield (4199) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2013
I was surprised that I didn’t like this very much. Maybe I’m losing my taste for Imperial Stouts, but I found this one too roasted and almost burnt, leaving...not really a bitterness...but an off-putting note. Decent palate, and I didn’t find the alcohol problematic at all. It just didn’t appeal much to me. Bottle.

Ernesto987 (6050) - Arizona, USA - NOV 9, 2013
This is awesome, huge rich and thick, roasty and boozy. This is fantastic, amazing stuff

streve (105) - Maryland, USA - NOV 9, 2013
12oz bottle into goblet. Pour is a deep dark black color with a very small tan head that developed post pour. Aroma is of roasted malt, hops and chocolate. Taste is remarkable. Roasted malt and coffee with a light chocolate flavor. A good bitterness in the finish.