overall
RATINGS: 1884   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.83/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 66   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Each fall, hops reach their peak flavor- bursting with aromatic oils that give ales layers of complex flavor and aroma that can only happen at harvest time. For us, fall comes twice a year- once in each hemisphere. This Harvest Ale features "wet" or un-dried whole-cone hops from Yakima, WA that are plucked from the bine and delivered to our brewery within 24 hours of picking.

Pailhead (6543) - Rochester Hills, Michigan, USA - OCT 23, 2007
Bottle: The aroma has moderate pine with some balanced caramel and faint citrus hops. It pours a transparent amber with small off-white head that fades to a soapy film within a minute or so. A thin webbing of lacing is left on the edges of the glass. The flavor has a strong caramel backbone. The finish has moderate combination of pine and citrus hops that linger in the aftertaste for a while. Some light spiciness in the finish as well. A very well balanced beer. IMO, an argument could be made either way for an IPA or APA. Medium bodied, slightly oily with soft carbonation. Just a well made beer in my opinion.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - OCT 23, 2007
Bottle. I poured out the last bottle of SN I tried, so I shouldn’t have been suprised when I dumped this one out as well. I’m not going to waste my calories on something as flavorless, bitter, and aspirin-like as this. A mess in a bottle. Come on SN, impress me w/ something.

Zinister (1423) - Houston, Texas, USA - OCT 23, 2007
Deep orange pour with thick white head. Hops on the nose for sure...pine and resin mostly, some citrus, but more pine. Hops are not aggressively bitter, but have that piney taste all the way through to the finish. Malt is lingering in the background very solidly. I like.

fattibobatti (246) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 23, 2007
bottle from liqourloft tallahassee. amazing and a must for anyone who really really likes hops. the smell is mouthwatering citrus, strong pine borderline astringent hops. the taste is strong malt backbone but most importantly bitter citrus and pine hops flavor and than a wonderful lasting bitterness. the mouth feel is full bodied almost oily sticking to the mouth really adding to the lasting hop characteristic. pour was a dark dark amber. i very powerful IPA, one of my favorites.

chronictonic (490) - Oreland, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 23, 2007
2007 Harvest - bomber 24oz bottle from Shangy’s - great aroma, nice off white head. Poured a reddish copper color. Hops in the flavor tended towards a tartness that finished with a thin, slicing bitterness that was not really enjoyable.

iowaherkeye (2804) - Ocean Beach, San Diego, California, USA - OCT 23, 2007
2007 Harvest, big ass 24oz bottle. Is this the first year they bottled? Clear orange copper with a two finger creamy off-white head, great lacing and retention. Spicy piney hops with some floral notes front the underlying sweet caramel malts. Not magnificently complex, but so far so good. The aroma has a fresh hoppy sweetness just as I stick my nose in the glass as I’m taking a drink (this bumped the aroma up to an 8). Can definitely notice the freshness in the flavor. It seems there’s an added herbal and earthiness--I can’t really explain it other than that. Fairly bitter--peaks at a 6-7 out of 10 at the back corners of my tongue. Alcohol is detectable, just barely. Moderate carbonation with a medium creamy body. Great beer--I’m only sad that it will deteriorate from here on out.

asteele8 (322) - Des Moines, Washington, USA - OCT 23, 2007
Bottle. Pours a clear amber hue with a nice off-white head on top. Aroma is pine, citrus, and caramel. Flavor is spicy yet sweet. Fresh green piney hop flavor with a sweet caramel malt flavor. Beer is quite easy on the palate making this a pretty easy beer to drink for an IPA. A well-balanced enjoyable beer.

swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 22, 2007
24oz bottle. bautiful amber color. sweet caramel malt & hop aroma. starts off with sweet caramel malt flavor & finishes with nice hop bitterness. Malts tend to dominate more than I prefer in an IPA but insanely drinkable & very tasty

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - OCT 22, 2007
I sampled this on tap along with a bunch of other beers one night, and much of the beauty of it was lost. What notes I got from the bottle came much more easily in comparison. Pours copper with a slight red tint and a long lasting white head that’s pretty lacy. At first I thought this beer smelled remarkably like pasta, and I still do. Perhaps fresh hops smell kinda like marinara sauce with a shitload of parmesan cheese in it? Anyway, the aroma eventually made sense, and I realized just how pungent, herbal, and "plant store" like these hops really were. Pine and citrus take a back seat to extreme freshness. Taste has that same hop quality coming through but with a bit of dirt bitterness and a toasty malt flavor. There might be some caramel too, but this beer isn’t about the malt. Medium bodied and creamy texture, with a finish of toast/roast and a lingering buttery planty hop aftertaste. I’m impressed that mere hop freshness can impart so much flavor and dimension to this beer.

urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 22, 2007
Before I tasted this, I thought it was just about perfect: a really beautiful copper color under a nice fluffy head. The aroma was a remarkably complex blend of hop scents. I was just a little let down (but not much) by the flavor, which I found to be solid, with a great hop and malt balance, but I suppose that I am saddened a bit when the flavor is secondary to the robust aroma.