overall
RATINGS: 4420   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

altkencru (143) - USA - OCT 31, 2005
Pretty good stock pale ale. IMO could use just a touch more hops. Reasonably priced.

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 30, 2005
Copper colored with a white foamy head. Heavily scented with hops. Some sweet maltiness to temper the hop bitterness. Very crisp on the palate. An excellent accoutrement to a well-done steak (for me, that’s medium rare) dinner.

mullet (849) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - OCT 30, 2005
I’m glad this made it to Aus because the last (and only) time I had it, I had a cold but drank it anyway which was a bit of a mistake coz I couldn’t really taste anything. Tinny gold colour, nice head. Lychees, tinned tropical fruit salad, a big tangy hop flavour which borders on harshness and a solid, even soapy, bitterness. The big fruitiness really reminded me of Grumpys Triple A, but this had a lot more hop flavour to back it up. The one thing that really stood out, however, is that the hop character had a definite stewed feel. I mean, I already knew that they only hop in the kettle, but it really tastes like it, and my preference (in American styles) is definitely for the more fresh hop character you get with dry-hopping (or a hopback in LC’s case.) That said, perhaps it just didn’t taste that fresh because of all its travels (CA->UK->WA->Vic, apparently.) It’s good to get the chance to taste this as a one-off, but at this price it’s not really the type of thing you’d buy in bulk, which is really what you want to do with APAs. But despite all my whingeing, it’s actually pretty good.

awebster (165) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 30, 2005
Good, drinkable beer. Good body, nose and dry finish. Good quality beer. There’s an appetizing bitterness to the beer, it’s good to have before a meal.

Parrothead (294) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2005
I was "into" beer a while before I got around to trying this, even though I had heard it was the "Holy Grail" of American pale ales. I heard right. Nice lacy head, great aroma of hops, nice caramel color, smooth drinking. If you like hops, but are not an over-the-top hop head, what’s not to like? OK, there was one thing - the $10 I forked over for a 6-pack in OC, MD!!!

amalsugar (41) - Tremonton, Utah, USA - OCT 28, 2005
This is one of the first pale ales I ever drank and remains a favorite. The citrusy hop aroma and the bitterness are impressive for such a widely distributed beer. It is s a beer that bridges gaps between craft beer enthusiasts and macrobrew drinkers. Impressive.

cbkschubert (2901) - BFE, Arizona, USA - OCT 26, 2005
Love the citrus aroma. One of the best and easiest to find American Pale ales out there. Has a smooth bitterness with a very slight lingering after taste. Not much malt flavor. A very good beer.

FuntonBunton (61) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - OCT 23, 2005
A classic brewski. Hoppy, but enjoyable to a wide array of people who enjoy beer. A popular brew. A typical pale ale in my book. But a goodie, none the less. Pours nicely in a big muggy mug. Tastes of a little bitter grapefruit, but just a hint.

brettpace (176) - New York City, New York, USA - OCT 23, 2005
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2007 MMM, I love this beer, great flavor. I love it in an ice cold glass. I could drink this stuff everyday, and be about as happy as could be. I strongly recommend this beer.

hezron (614) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 21, 2005
At a bar in Madison, only hoppy beer they had and I was in the mood for some hops. Nice grapefruit nose, typical of cascade. Good flavors of pine, grapefruit and some mild caramel malt. Medium body, high carbination and lively mouthfeel.