overall
RATINGS: 4687   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

envane (570) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2004
At 776 rating so far, I don’t feel this needs a in-depth desription. Still a classic, well balanced APA.

OlJuntan64 (1265) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - MAY 2, 2004
Pours a medium rich amber clear with a small shortish lasting head. Medium strong luscious aromatic floral hops aromas and complex flavours. Medium to full body. Medium strong, full of character, crisp bitter hoppy finish. I was quite surprised by how good this one was.

walleye (1099) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - APR 30, 2004
nice amber color lite tan head very little lacing nice citrus flavor with a nice bitter finish I enjoyed this

CEZ (414) - Milano, ITALY - APR 29, 2004
I’m beginning to think that I would one of the biggest fan of american hops, if only I could get more beers like this. I adore the crisp aroma of this beer (citric, floral, yeasty) and the refreshing taste, clean and yet full of flavours: delicate malt sweetness which subtly turns to orange and leads to a strong, long, dry, spicy hoppy finish. Yumm!

Warfaust (2) - California, USA - APR 29, 2004 does not count
This beer is absolutely delightful. The hoppy aroma and flavor are out of this world, and make a body glad to be alive.

joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 26, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 19, 2004 Great pour. Nice balance, a little on the spicy side, but not overpowering in any sense. This beer has no real weak spots. Just plain good beer here.

Sammy (12099) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 26, 2004
Hops and cream and noticeable creamy head. Taste with an offsetting bitterness that I didn't care for or expect. Strong bitter mouthfeel that cut points. Better with food, and that match I think would be spicey such as spicey pasta as it would neutralize the mouth. Citrus floral and pine aroma.

BennyTicklez (621) - USA - APR 25, 2004
ah...the hippie beer itself. A good beer that is widely distributed. Pours amber with a average head. Spicey and hoppy. A good pale ale.

scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - APR 25, 2004
Sparkiling amber, fluffy white head. Nose of sweet grapefruit, flowers, fuzzy fruit, and malt. Similar in taste. Decent hop bite with a nice balancing malty sweetness. Medium bodied, sweet hoppy finish. Always a guaranteed winner....

hayduke (5188) - Eureka, California, USA - APR 23, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 29, 2008 One of the best things about this Pale Ale is that is available just about everywhere. I suppose part of the reason is that it is good and consistent. I like to support my local breweries, and goodness knows we have enough of them, but this is about as good as it gets. Beautiful slightly dark amber hue, nice suds on top, with just the right amount of hops to give it that correct "buzz". There is an aroma of fruit or flowers that greets you when you first open the bottle but recedes quickly after it hits the glass. But all in all, a very dependable and highly drinkable ale. And unlike a lot of brews the second bottle tastes as good as the first. This the best selling draft been in many Eureka restaurants and so I get to drink it quite a bit. For such as mass produced beer it remains pretty remarkable. I used to rate this a 4.2 but as time has past and many hundreds of beers later I have to lower the rating a tiny bit. Not that this has gotten worse, I just have to put it in iits proper perspective.