overall
RATINGS: 4673   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

gregwilsonstl's rating

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
gregwilsonstl (2505) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUN 29, 2012
Pale taste. Thin head. Clear and crisp. Pretty good pale ale. Medium body. Thanks seider.

J_man (1002) - Tustin, California, USA - JUL 26, 2017
Well, after many years and many beers (too many to remember which is why I rate them here), I’ve finally reached the 1000 mark. It’s been a lot of fun (and sometimes a lot of work when I just wanted to drink the beer and relax). As I approached number 1000, I was trying to decide what beer I should choose for it. I thought about getting a really exotic, hard to find beer that would be a trophy for 1000, but when I really thought about it, I decided that it should be something near and dear to my (beer) heart. Once I figured that out, the choice wasn’t that hard. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a landmark beer to almost all American craft beer lovers. Sure there was New Albion (and its founder Jack McAuliffe) which isn’t available anymore, and Anchor Brewing (and Fritz Maytag) with its long history. But I think Sierra Nevada and its founder Ken Grossman more than any other craft brewery really broke open the doors to making and selling great beer commercially in America again, and those doors remained opened for many others who would follow in the years to come. It was the Pale Ale that did it and it remains a true icon of what craft beer is about. While the Pale Ale isn’t my favorite beer (or even my favorite Sierra Nevada beer, which would probably have to be Celebration Ale), it represents a milestone in craft beer in America and that seemed like a perfect reason to make it my 1000th rating. And here it is: 24 oz. bomber (thanks as always for the extra 2 oz., Ken!) from Albertsons in Tustin, CA. poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip pint glass, of course! Beautiful, very clear golden amber body with a billowing white head. Aroma of pine needles with some woody notes in the back. More pine and toasted wood bitterness with a bit of peppery spice in the taste along with some citrus rind and a touch of orange/lemon flavor. Nice caramel sweetness with a touch of vanilla to balance out the bitterness. And the subtle bready, yeasty flavor that gives that special touch to so many SN beers. Even though it’s only 5.6% ABV, I think the bitterness gives it just enough bite to make it noticeable. Leaves a long-lasting dry woody flavor on the tongue and lingering pine cone in the aftertaste. Everything about this beer is about balance and flavor. I’ll have to admit I enjoyed this more than I remember from my many past encounters with it. I’m looking forward to doing a comparison to the draft version when I get a fresh pint from the SN taproom in Chico next time I’m there. Cheers to a great beer, a great brewery, and to my next 1000 ratings!

cheersgoof () - - JUL 24, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2017 go to beer for parties. can never go wrong with this great taste

MRMedellin (300) - Bogota, COLOMBIA - JUL 22, 2017
Clear orange beer, with standard carbonation and a nice foam head. At nose caramel notes and some floral notes are evident, however none of them is strong than the others, which translate in a nice balanced beer. At palate has a medium body, with a well balanced flavor as well, but more bitter than I was expecting but the overall characteristics are good.

blkcld5150 () - - JUL 21, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2017 The original and still one of the best west coast pale ales!

TavernRogue (25) - Northamptonshire, ENGLAND - JUL 21, 2017
355ml bottle from Tesco. Appearance looks a bit watered down; 1-finger off-white head dissipates very quickly. Aroma is a nice smack of pine and citrus. Taste is a nice malt-y backbone with a lingering bitter finish. Palate is OK but it deteriorates over time, getting quite flat.

pims (25) - - JUL 21, 2017
355ml bottle. Nice gold/orange one with small white head. Aroma is citrus, hops and pine. Nice biter taste with also a sweet something I can’t pinpoint. Doesn’t stay long in the mouth tho.

phenom5 (16) - AUSTRALIA - JUL 21, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 21, 2017 pours amber/ golden with a loooong lasting head. carbonation from the can spot on. says served chilled, but gets better as it warms to room temp. lovely sweet piney smell, short bursts of tropical then bitterness kicks in to clean the palate. good malty goodness too, almost sweet, but bitterness saves the day. this is a well balanced gem of a beer - a real classic! only drawback is pricey (in Australia)...

Macieg (39) - Lipno/Wloclawek, POLAND - JUL 19, 2017
Butelka kupiona w supermarkecie w UK. Piwo o barwie jasnego bursztynu, delikatnie zmetnione. Piana srednioobfita, drobno i sredniopecherzykowa, utrzymuje się do końca picia. Wzorowo wyglądający pale ale. W nosie słód, lekkie klimaty ziemiste, delikatnie cytrusowe. W smaku głównie slod pale ale, delikatna chmielowosc. Bardzo pijalne, rześkie i poprawne pale ale bez wad

coil (51) - - JUL 19, 2017
355ml bottle. Slightly cloudy amber colour with tiny white head. Big juicy grapefruit citrus, lemon, blood orange, tomato, floral hops, pine.

DavidWoodruff (624) - Windsor, California, USA - JUL 17, 2017
Amber/orange with large dense white head. Malty aroma with citrusy notes. Nice balance of malt sweetness and hop bitterness with it being just perfectly leaning toward the bitter. Medium bodied with a moderately bitter finish. Classic American style pale ale.