overall
RATINGS: 2057   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Before Sierra Nevada was a reality, our founders brewed beer at home and dreamed of building a brewery one day. Back then, they brewed the beers they wanted to drink—bold and full of flavor. Stouts had always been a favorite, so when we needed a big and rich beer to test out the brewing system at our fledgling brewery, stout was the obvious choice. Thirty years later, not much has changed. We’re still brewing the beers we want to drink and our classic Stout is the same as it’s ever been—big, rich, bold, black as night and filled with the wild-eyed passion of which dreams are made.
Yeast: Ale yeast
Bittering Hops: Bravo
Finishing Hops: Cascade, Yakima Golding
Malts: Two-row Pale, Munich, Caramel, Carafa, Black, Chocolate & Roasted Barley

JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - FEB 12, 2005
(on bottle) Not traind enough to se if this really is an traditional US-øld-style porter, I judge this only on it´s actual taste. Wich is somewhere in the middle. Neither nose, palate orfinish is in anyway distinct. Woulden´t have it again, very much a plain beer.

BeerandBlues2 (13697) - Escondido, California, USA - FEB 11, 2005
Pours black with a tall tan frothy head. Most of the head dissipates after two minutes, but it does leave enough for some fair ringed lacing. Huge caramel roasted malt aroma with brown sugar floating nearby and a chocolate coffee nose, faint hops. Deep dark chocolate flavor with a hop bite at the end. Palate is dark and full-bodied and somewhat fizzy.

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 28, 2005 As with all Sierra’s it has the bitter dry finish that reminds me slightly of grapefruit juice. Still, though, the head was a thick tan and the beer was very refreshing and substantial. Overall though, it was a little to watered down for something referred to as "stout"

Emil (6064) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - FEB 11, 2005
Bottle at Ølbaren Cph. Dk. Black with a hint of red with a big beage head. Light roasted coffee caramel aroma and a roasted dry taste. Medium body and a dry finish.

biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - FEB 9, 2005
Pours almost black with red hues and a thin brown head. Has a subtle aroma with mint, caramel, cocoa, coffee maybe a little cinnamon. Excellent mouth feel with a clean bitter finish. Some acridness with a bit of mint in the middle. Good but it somehow seems a little lacking.

richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 8, 2005
Smelled hoppy coming out of the bottle, not really what I expect from a stout, body is thick, almost viscous looking, but there was no head at all. Very bitter, again, not what I was looking for. Tail leaves the bitterness on your tounge with some caramel and some coffee flavors. I would put this at the bottom of my stout list.

shadey (2148) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 5, 2005
Black pour with red tnges. Tan creamy head. Roast aroma. Good chocolate and roast flavor with a smooth easy drinking mouthfeel. A very nice example of what a stout should be.

JonMoore (2067) - Loughborough, Leicestershire, ENGLAND - FEB 4, 2005
Very dark brown, slim tan head. Light roasted malt aroma, slightly sweet. Quite a decent stout, coffee flavours, sweet. Medium bodied, noticably carbonated. This is quite good, not in the same league as their porter though(which I’ve also just tried for the first time).

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - FEB 3, 2005
Considering I split the bottle with adamskillin, just take everything he says and imagine it in my comments section. Only I probably wouldn’t buy it again when there are better stouts abouts.

AdamSkillin (376) - High Bridge, New Jersey, USA - FEB 2, 2005
Better than their porter. Kinda boring, average in malt flavor, average in hops, average in color, average in every way. Definitely a coffee-roasted malt porter, I’d buy it again, if it was on sale or something.